Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I have two choices for wheels...

Workman3886

Reaction score
The deal is I need new tires, pretty freakin soon. I have been thinking about just buying some tires but I don't really dig the stock light Grey rims. My two choices are:

Order new tires, take the wheels off my truck, bring to a tire shop, remove and trash the old tires, bring the rims to a powder coating shop, get them black, back to the tire shop with my new tires, and have stock black powder coated rims. Of course a friend would be needed and my truck would be down for a week or two.

Other option is order some Enkei 19" Black Raijin rims with some Hankook V12 tires, easy swap out and my truck won't be down, however it'll cost about $800 more then keeping the stockers...

Here is a link to the rims:

http://www.enkei.com/raijin.shtml

Let me know what you guys think!

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Thats a nice wheel. Well if u could afford it then do it... of course make sure u get the offset and all that good stuff right the first time.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
If you can afford it, go with the Enkie wheels, but for the price, powder coated stock wheels also look great if you can go without or find someone who has a spare set of wheels.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Actually thought about getting those myself, but Hyper Silver instead. They look good, go for it. Go with 19 x 9.5 +15 on those Raijin. Getting new tires is a good opportunity to upgrade, no down time is also a big plus.

Workman3886

Reaction score
Actually thought about getting those myself, but Hyper Silver instead. They look good, go for it. Go with 19 x 9.5 +15 on those Raijin. Getting new tires is a good opportunity to upgrade, no down time is also a big plus.

I was looking at tirerack.com, which I'm sure they rape the prices up, and they suggested 8" wide rim, doesn't that translate to a 255 tire? Same as stock right?

Screenshot_2013-01-26-11-29-07.png

I really suck at this whole tire width offset tire height thing, so if I went 9.5 on width what tire size is that? Also if I was to do a 1.7"/2" drop would I have rubbing issues while turning?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I have no knowledge in rims and tires lol

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they will flow with the truck very well. Grumpy has some good points as well.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Stock size is 18 x x 8 +30 offset with 255/45 18.

Many members have 19 x 9.5 in similar offset and ride height with no issue, I wouldn't worry. 285/35 will get you closest to stock overall diameter to help keep correct speedo & odometer reading. I run 275 on my 9.5 to have more tire choice and a square fitment on the wheel. It also produce a small underdrive effect for slightly quicker acceleration. 285 will have a slightly more meaty look, which isn't a bad thing.:top:

Best price I found for Raijin in 19 x 9.5 +15 in that finish were $300 a piece, well worth the extra coins imho.

Fiddich

Reaction score
The deal is I need new tires, pretty freakin soon. I have been thinking about just buying some tires but I don't really dig the stock light Grey rims. My two choices are:

Order new tires, take the wheels off my truck, bring to a tire shop, remove and trash the old tires, bring the rims to a powder coating shop, get them black, back to the tire shop with my new tires, and have stock black powder coated rims. Of course a friend would be needed and my truck would be down for a week or two.

Other option is order some Enkei 19" Black Raijin rims with some Hankook V12 tires, easy swap out and my truck won't be down, however it'll cost about $800 more then keeping the stockers...

Here is a link to the rims:

http://www.enkei.com/raijin.shtml

Let me know what you guys think!

I would stick with the stock rims and go with a better tire.. I would run the hankook in the LA heat.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
I would stick with the stock rims and go with a better tire.. I would run the hankook in the LA heat.

What's wrong with the Hankooks? Kevin SDXRUNNER619 really "tests" out tons of tires and loves the Hankooks.

Just for reference since you are looking into 19s, I have 9.5"X19 up front ET 22 and 10.5"X19 ET 22 on the back. I'm planning on running 285/35/19 up front and 305/30/19 in the back. I prefer a meatier look than stretched.

triumphx

Reaction score
Don't forget to check tire prices, I remember when I almost bought 19's that the tire selection/ prices made me go with 18's

Workman3886

Reaction score
Don't forget to check tire prices, I remember when I almost bought 19's that the tire selection/ prices made me go with 18's

Yeah it would be like a $500 difference total, but man I like them wide rims lol, I have a itching I know that and I'm probably going to pull the trigger soon!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score

Curious, but why would you stick with the stock width wheel when you are limited to tire widths versus a wider wheel which offerswider width choices?

Workman3886

Reaction score
Stock size is 18 x x 8 +30 offset with 255/45 18.

Many members have 19 x 9.5 in similar offset and ride height with no issue, I wouldn't worry. 285/35 will get you closest to stock overall diameter to help keep correct speedo & odometer reading. I run 275 on my 9.5 to have more tire choice and a square fitment on the wheel. It also produce a small underdrive effect for slightly quicker acceleration. 285 will have a slightly more meaty look, which isn't a bad thing.:top:

Best price I found for Raijin in 19 x 9.5 +15 in that finish were $300 a piece, well worth the extra coins imho.

Do you think the same size rims would look good for the front and back? I know it would be good for rotating also.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
I just put a deposit down on a 2wd Access cab. I will be flying from Phoenix to Portland 2-8-13 and driving home. I would be interested in your OEM wheels. Being I just joined here I can't look at the for sale section. So if anyone here is looking to sale their OEM wheels and they are true & straight I will be in the market for a set soon.

PS. I have to buy the truck in OR because I live in the Denver region so I can't buy a Tacoma with a stick where I live. This is what Toyota got from me! :motz: I was nice to the young lady but I told her Toyota shouldn't try to force me to buy an auto trans. I'm 53 and to old to learn how to drive a automatic transmission! I maybe over the hill but I'm not dead & refuse to buy a new truck with a damn automatic! Automatics are for boneheads who text & drive.

My direct email is HAYRANDYL at COX dot NET

:stupid: ( to much sun damage )
AZ

Last edited:

Grumpy

Reaction score
Do you think the same size rims would look good for the front and back? I know it would be good for rotating also.

I would go with a square setup, same size front and back. This maintain the balance between front & rear grip. Unless you make a lot of power and experiencing severe lacking of during acceleration, I wouldn't go staggered given the choice.

Fiddich

Reaction score
What's wrong with the Hankooks? Kevin SDXRUNNER619 really "tests" out tons of tires and loves the Hankooks.

Just for reference since you are looking into 19s, I have 9.5"X19 up front ET 22 and 10.5"X19 ET 22 on the back. I'm planning on running 285/35/19 up front and 305/30/19 in the back. I prefer a meatier look than stretched.

are the 285/35/19 going to work I tried my 265/40/20 on the front and rubbed .. I run 245/40/20 an no rub with 295/40/20 on the back the 265/40/20 were on the back but would break lose about half pedal

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score

I would have went same size front and back if I had the choice. I bought them used and didn't have a choice. As hard as our trucks are on tires it is very nice to be able to rotate.

Top Bottom