Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I Need Help With Water Spots. Pics Inside

music_man185

Reaction score
ok, so i finally got some pics of my truck so that i can post them and maybe somebody can help me out and tell me what to do. i've got some extreme water spottage going on. its all my fault from not ever drying my truck. i always washed it in the late evening when the sun was on its way down and thought that was good enough. i didn't know that i needed to dry it too. as the water spots kept building up, i kept thinking they would go away when i waxed it. long story short, i've clayed, polished and waxed and they are still there. i wasn't aware a water spot could "etch" itself into the paint. i've got a lot to learn about detailing :hmmmm2:.

anyway, here are some pics after i washed it and dried it the other day. the truck is dry in the pics, but every swipe i made with my microfiber towel revealed the water spots that have bonded with the paint.

any help or suggestions are appreciated. also, i dont have a DA, so all of my detailing is done by hand if that helps.

Attachments

• SNC00145.jpg
    SNC00145.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 5,092
  • SNC00146.jpg
    SNC00146.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 134
  • SNC00150.jpg
    SNC00150.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 128

dmbfan73

Reaction score
i use distilled vinegar to get rid of my water spots

eltus

Reaction score
Well, I have some too. So last week I did the Mothers clay bar. And tomorrow before the Jacksonville, FL meet I'm doing the Turtle wax Black Box. I have never use this product so I hope it helps. I'll post up the results.

CJX-RUNNER

Reaction score
3m rubbing compound.... Sometimes it takes more that one time. Do small sections, wait a couple mins then try again, and again, and again,....etc...

music_man185

Reaction score
i use distilled vinegar to get rid of my water spots
i knew the distilled vinegar/water was good for removing water spots off of glass. i wasn't aware it was also affective at removing them from painted surfaces.

i picked up some meguiars swirl x but i haven't tried it yet.

music_man185

Reaction score
Well, I have some too. So last week I did the Mothers clay bar. And tomorrow before the Jacksonville, FL meet I'm doing the Turtle wax Black Box. I have never use this product so I hope it helps. I'll post up the results.

good luck and let us know how the turtle wax black box works. i saw it at the parts place the other day and was curious how well it worked. although if your water spots are as bad as mine, i wouldn't look for that wax to bring them out. i washed, clayed, polished, and put 1 coat of synthetic and 1 coat of carnauba wax and i still have what looks like the same amount of water spots.

music_man185

Reaction score
easiest way to avoid water spots is to filter the water your using to wash and rinse your truck with, water spots are just the material residue of what ever was suspended in the water thats left behind when the water evaporates.

check this out.

http://www.filterwater.com/pc-62-8-prefiltration-filter-for-gardngro.aspx

i looked into getting a filter for my water hose. but every one i found was upwards of $100. i never saw one as cheap as the one you linked. is it any good?

Clay bar and a good wax.

i clayed my entire truck with meguiars clay bar and detailing lubricant and waxed with meguiars nxt liquid wax and s100 from the harley shop. still had no luck in removing them.

music_man185

Reaction score
thanks DS. i picked up some swirl x. i'm hoping that does the trick. i do everything by hand and i have no where in the shade to do it during the day. so i always try to wait until late in the evening. but by the time the sun starts to go down, i dont have enough time to wash, swirl x and wax. so i'm still waiting on the perfect cloudy/overcast day. lol.

how exactly do you apply the swirl x? i have some small round microfiber applicator pads. do i just rub it on and take it right off? or does it need to stay on for a while? and also, is it better rub on in circles or straight swipes?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
thanks DS. i picked up some swirl x. i'm hoping that does the trick. i do everything by hand and i have no where in the shade to do it during the day. so i always try to wait until late in the evening. but by the time the sun starts to go down, i dont have enough time to wash, swirl x and wax. so i'm still waiting on the perfect cloudy/overcast day. lol.

how exactly do you apply the swirl x? i have some small round microfiber applicator pads. do i just rub it on and take it right off? or does it need to stay on for a while? and also, is it better rub on in circles or straight swipes?

Honestly I would not apply those products by hand.

They need a DA IMO.

The reason is that it will take an awful lot of elbow grease by hand to breakdown and work in the polish properly. If you dont then you will leave some artifacts on the paint. It will take you forever to work those products in over every panel on the car.

Try a small section first with the swirlx by hand if u wanna give it a shot.

the microfiber pads will be fine, apply firm even pressure and buff in until the polish is done doing its thing (you will notice when this happens). After you have done that wipe the residue away and examine your work. If it looks ok move onto the next section; work in small slightly overlapping sections one at a time (a square foot or so). Remember you must glaze and/or wax after you are done to restore a layer of protection.

For polishing on a clean surface use circles, for washing straight lines.

I am 100% positive the Ultimate Compound will take them out, but start with swirlx first.

Always use the least aggressive method and work up to the most.

music_man185

Reaction score
thanks alot. i'll give it a try as soon as i have a chance. i will probably go out this evening and try just small circle and see what happens.

eltus

Reaction score
OK so the turtle wax black box is great. I can still see some little water spots but I had to rush because I was late for the Jax meet and was bleeding from my toe after smashing it on the gutter outside my garage (again in a rush). So I personally love this product and think that with time and elbow grease the spots can be eliminated. I'm glad I took the time to do this because on our way to St. Johns Co. we went through a storm and at the end of it my truck was almost dry and still looking clean thanks to the fresh wax. I recommend this product to all black vehicles owners specially the BSP. one thing, the instructions say to wear gloves if you are allergic to automotive wax products, I say wear gloves or your hands and nails will be black for some time.

music_man185

Reaction score
does the black box actually give your black truck any BETTER of a shine than other waxes? i picked up some s100 from a harley shop and it works very well on black. but i'm always in search of the "perfect" shine. lol.

music_man185

Reaction score
well, i got good news....i hope. i went out after dark and applied some swirl x on a small portion of my hood. the water spots seemed to disappear. i dont know what will happen once its been on there for a few hours. i know that when i wash it, they SEEM to "disappear" until it dries, then you can see them again. i went ahead and applied some s100 to the area i swirl x'ed. so now i just have to wait until the perfect day when i have time to wash, swirl x and wax all at once. this would be so much easier if i had a nice shaded spot to pull my truck and do it in the middle of the day.

eltus

Reaction score
does the black box actually give your black truck any BETTER of a shine than other waxes? i picked up some s100 from a harley shop and it works very well on black. but i'm always in search of the "perfect" shine. lol.

to be true this is the first time I wax the entire truck, before I did the spots that had scratches and I like the result better with the black box.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
If the wax removed scratches its not actually removing them, just filling them in.

You need to remove clear coat to remove defects.

I will have to pick up this "black box" and give it a shot.

P21S/S100 is an awesome wax, I agree.

One of my favorites.

Last edited:

music_man185

Reaction score
I will have to pick up this "black box" and give it a shot.

be sure to give us all a review of it! :top: i'm interested myself.

just thought i would give an update that its been a few days since applying the swirl x and the square on my hood that i treated still looks good. its even rained for 2 days in a row and the rain drying on my hood hasn't affected it. of course, i've thought all along that the spots are more from the water supply i wash my truck with rather than rain.

i do have one question though. yesterday when i got home from work, i went to look at my truck to see how the swirl x treated spot on my hood looked. and i noticed that if i look at it at the right angle, i see some swirl marks on the section i applied swirl x to. shouldn't the swirl x not only have taken out the water spots but also removed any swirl marks that may have been there? i just applied a little bit to a small section and rubbed it in with gentle pressure in circle motions (with a microfiber applicator pad) and let it dry for approx. 30 seconds. then i took it off with a microfiber towel while flipping to a clean portion for the final wipe. then applied some s100. i may not have applied the swirl x right or let it sit long enough. i just rubbed it on and let it sit. i just now read your post over again and you said to rub it in until its done doing its thing. so i may not have done it right.

Top Bottom