Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

If Ford can do it...why not Toyota?

Grumpy

Reaction score
Forgot the shallow oil pan were stuck with!! But I'd say the trans is the biggest issue with our trucks and Toyota will do nothing to fix it. Betcha the new 2011's and 2012's will have the same shit transmission and all those owners will all have the same TO bearing problem as well as the grinding.

That one-wheel peel is phucking sad shit right there LOL

That problem had cross my mind, just an abridge version of the facepalm list thats all.:laugh:
Another good example is overhead outside temp / compass console. The wiring is already there! Newer model even come with air temp sensor already installed . . . but no display unit.:facepalm:

Pass on the group buy Will, but I do like the fact that Ford offer them as crate motor though!

Super Werty

Reaction score
Pass on the group buy Will, but I do like the fact that Ford offer them as crate motor though!

Now you're talkin! Lets see you drift that X with about 800 ponies under the hood:blurock:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
The WRX doesnt have near the power potential or stock power that the new 5.0 does and it costs near the same.

roflmao @ 1 wheel peal.... Who the hell made that video? CGI at its finest...

For a $25,000 2WD truck toyota sure shafted us on some pretty basic features (and some more serious ones).

Decently modded WRX vs. a bone stock 5.0 lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3prQRNQKqQ

Last edited:

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Ford has made some good vehicles. 5.0 engine are practically Indestructible, as are the 7.3's(actually built by international), but the fact remains, bad outweighs the good. I could go on for hours about the things I've seen on fords, but it's Pointless. Everyone has an opinion. And although a 6 will get better gas mileage than an 8, most of the mileage comes from the direct injection combined with variable valve timing, and new logic to run it all. Hell, when cruising in one, the throttlebody is generally wide open, and the intake valves open about a two thirds of the way down the intake stroke since you only need a small amount of air/fuel to maintain. Theoretical genius, well see how well they applied it as time goes on.

Last edited:

XrunnIT

Reaction score

You have 3 choices too.

Stock 5.0L, Bos 302 crate, and the Aluminator (forged internals, lowered CR)

To be fair, truck engine tend to produce more torque than horsepower making this comparison a bit one sided. Can I raise you a 5.0L 2UR-GSE from IS-F with 416 hp instead?
Just wait 'til Ford put direct injection in the Coyote!

I will counter raise with the Boss 302 crate - 5.0L 444hp. :D

I know that the blocks are already designed for direct injection, so its just a matter of time before they implement it.

That ISF motor is beast for sure. Just sucks that the ISF is a $60k base. Mustang is $28k base. If they could put that motor in a car and make it available for under 30k, you would have a powerful vehicle that would be affordable to most. Not to mention the aftermarket support that would come with that.

Notice the one-wheel-peel? :eviltongue:

That one-wheel peel is phucking sad shit right there LOL

Not sure if you guys noticed, that burnout was CGI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siqUezuWSyE

^^ Stock rear end ;)

Ford has made some good vehicles. 5.0 engine are practically Indestructible, as are the 7.3's(actually built by international), but the fact remains, bad outweighs the good. I could go on for hours about the things I've seen on fords, but it's Pointless. Everyone has an opinion.

Ok, and out of all those fords, that you can go on for hours, how many apply to the new cars? 2010/2011 and newer? Just curious.

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Xrunnit, if you read the whole post, it says we will see what happens with time. And I've seen a good many of the newer ones with problems. I just send them to the dealer because they are under warranty. I'm not arguing, just stating facts. I like where ford is going, just doubt they can get there.

Emanon

Reaction score
The WRX doesnt have near the power potential or stock power that the new 5.0 does and it costs near the same.

Agree but then it is an apples to oranges comparison. However if you look at each for their segment they are both excellent choices.

BadAzzXrunR

Reaction score
SERs had SR20.....but never DET.

Short answer to OP, because they just want to sell car and make money. That is all . . . and issue recalls because they skimp on quality up front. Fun has left their vocabulary a while ago.
Like above responses, not that they can't . . . they just won't.

I must respectfully disagree. My SER had a SR20DET :wink:

G you hit the nail on the head. Ford is making some really good vehicles right now and stepped up from what they we're 5 years ago.

Also your X new is about 20-24k (give or take depending on your negotiating skills) the ecoboost is around 30k so take that extra 6-10k and slap a turbo on your X and you will be square.

By copy to G...is this true??? I find it hard to believe you can take an NA Xrunner with 236 stock HP and make it produce 365 hp for $6,000. Your talking about a gain of 130 hp, which was well beyond the basic TRD or URD set-up the last time I checked.

Being a truck, in Toyota case anyways, always get short change. For example, how much more money is it to have auto-down on both window instead of one? A few cents?

Amen to that!!! How about a horn that beeps when the alarm is activated to let you know the vehicle is locked??? Probably another few cents they saved there :laugh:

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
^^^^^20 years old and claim to be a Ford Master Tech huh? Sorry aint buying that one bit. Just because u don't see it at ur stealership doesn't mean it's not happening elsewhere. My stealership said they've NEVER heard of the Tacoma TO bearing problem yet Toyota released a TSB for it. Get my point? I believe ur young and u still have a lot to learn as a mechanic and in life, dot get discouraged as u will learn as u go because it's not something taught but something learned thru years of experience:top:

Also the last company I worked for bought 6-10 new Ford F-250-350's every other year. We had 2010's that had to get sent back and have new engines installed because their 4.6l and 5.4l's are JUNK! the new engines can't be that much better

Whatever. Want me to give you a logon to fordtechservice over a PM? Age has nothing to do with it. I have been in the program for 2 years now and graduated H.S in 08. Right after that, I started the asset program. We also have a ASEP for GM. Within 5 minutes I can do a compression test, injector flow test, COP stress test and locate a misfire using IDS. Pretty cool stuff that ford has. Blows GM's Tech 2 out of the water. Also, as far as TSB's and recalls I don't believe there are any on the ecoboost. I do not like ford vehicles prior to 05 but this new stuff is pretty advanced.

Edit: There is one recall on the ecoboost. That is to replace the FL-500s oil filter with the FL-2055 filter.

Last edited:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Gadget's 4runner made 360 RWHP.

Takes more then a dyno graph to win a race...

It takes about 420 WHP in an X-Runner with a strong power curve to just break even with a stock 370 WHP 5.0 Mustang from a roll. It's going to take some tricks to get a 420 WHP XR out of the hole faster then the stang.

My truck had 415 HP & 450 ft-lbs and was just a tad slower then my stock 5.0 stang.

Not to mention to get an XR to this power level you are 25,000 + all the mods you need to put into it.

Then you are still stuck with everything else which is sub par at that point; Engine, Suspension, Rear End, Transmission.

It all depends on how fast you want to go and how much you like the truck. You can build a $50,000 12 second XR easily if you love the truck enough (and why not).

That is RWHP in Stage 1

Dyno chart on the URD site.

Yes, I have PO a few Mustang owners.....

G

Yeah the stock old 4.6 Mustangs were definitely dogs in the V8 car world.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree. My SER had a SR20DET :wink:

By copy to G...is this true??? I find it hard to believe you can take an NA Xrunner with 236 stock HP and make it produce 365 hp for $6,000. Your talking about a gain of 130 hp, which was well beyond the basic TRD or URD set-up the last time I checked.

Amen to that!!! How about a horn that beeps when the alarm is activated to let you know the vehicle is locked??? Probably another few cents they saved there :laugh:

Friend's tC has auto down on both Windows. I guess the pennies saved on ours were diverted to theirs.....lol.

THE MACF

Reaction score
While we all know that most fords in the 90's and 00's were crud, that's not to say things don't change. I drove a 2011 base v-6 convertable mustand and was highly impressed. The engine was solid. it didn't lag on shifts and throwuing around the twisties was pretty fun.

With that being said. wait until the 2012 GT comes out for under 30K

I'm not saying i would ever get one but it sure would be fun if I did...

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Friend's tC has auto down on both Windows. I guess the pennies saved on ours were diverted to theirs.....lol.

The stang has auto down AND UP on BOTH windows!

OHHHHHHHH.... NOW WHAT!!!! :blurock:

haha

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
Takes more then a dyno graph to win a race...

It takes about 420 WHP in an X-Runner with a strong power curve to just break even with a stock 370 WHP 5.0 Mustang from a roll. It's going to take some tricks to get a 420 WHP XR out of the hole faster then the stang.

My truck had 415 HP & 450 ft-lbs and was just a tad slower then my stock 5.0 stang.

Not to mention to get an XR to this power level you are 25,000 + all the mods you need to put into it.

Then you are still stuck with everything else which is sub par at that point; Engine, Suspension, Rear End, Transmission.

It all depends on how fast you want to go and how much you like the truck. You can build a $50,000 12 second XR easily if you love the truck enough (and why not).
Of course it does, but I was addressing that you are able to gain 130 or more BHP on the 1gr. You can stick some average driver in a 800 hp skyline but it'll be next to useless if the person is unable to drive fast it right. That be said this is where a BIG difference comes into play. One is a car and the other a truck, the truck can still tow and haul, where as the mustang MIGHT be able to a dinky little atv trailer. One also sells many, many, many more than the other and has a much LARGER aftermarket support.

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
^^^^^20 years old and claim to be a Ford Master Tech huh? Sorry aint buying that one bit. Just because u don't see it at ur stealership doesn't mean it's not happening elsewhere. My stealership said they've NEVER heard of the Tacoma TO bearing problem yet Toyota released a TSB for it. Get my point? I believe ur young and u still have a lot to learn as a mechanic and in life, dot get discouraged as u will learn as u go because it's not something taught but something learned thru years of experience:top:

Also the last company I worked for bought 6-10 new Ford F-250-350's every other year. We had 2010's that had to get sent back and have new engines installed because their 4.6l and 5.4l's are JUNK! the new engines can't be that much better

I dont he claimed to be a master tech, from my understanding ASSET is Ford's certification program so you can work on their vehicles similar to an ASE certification but solely for Ford's

Pass Werty. WRX please.

Stolen from XDSM's new car thread, drop it maybe another .5" -1" and perfect.

IMG_0440.jpg

screw that, have you seen the 2011 STI sedan? my brother in NC bought a black one and that thing is TITS!!!!!

The stang has auto down AND UP on BOTH windows!

OHHHHHHHH.... NOW WHAT!!!! :blurock:

haha

not to mention leather, decent tranny, and confortable seats.

6-10k I said. i paid 20k for my X new, for 10k I could have done a shitload to my truck, and if you shop around wait for the right deal to come along you can get your X to 365hp for around 6 grand.

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
I dont he claimed to be a master tech, from my understanding ASSET is Ford's certification program so you can work on their vehicles similar to an ASE certification but solely for Ford's

Exactly, but way more involved that an ASE. Ford is to the point where you cannot work on ford vehicles at a dealership unless you have gone to school for it. That is why the guys who have been there for years specialize in 1 thing. They are certified for that because they only became certified for one thing. It's hard to go back to school for 2 years when you are 40 years old.

I however am certified to work on everything because I completed the ASSET program, did all of my online certs that are ford vehicle specific and completed test's, hands on test out's etc... for each class. Driveability, suspension, A/C, auto trans, manual trans, electrical 1 & 2, Chasis electronics, Brakes & ABS. Just to name a few. So don't tell me what I am and what I don't have.

While we all know that most fords in the 90's and 00's were crud, that's not to say things don't change. I drove a 2011 base v-6 convertable mustand and was highly impressed. The engine was solid. it didn't lag on shifts and throwuing around the twisties was pretty fun.

With that being said. wait until the 2012 GT comes out for under 30K

I'm not saying i would ever get one but it sure would be fun if I did...

From what I have been hearing, the ecoboost will be available in the Mustang next year. Ford has been telling us they plan to use that engine in every car as a base engine. If that is 100% what they are going to do I do not know, but the ecoboost is a BA engine.

It's very strong but hard to mess with the PCM which is bad for the aftermarket guys. Hell, the relay for the PCM is inside the PCM itself, so if that goes bad it's a whole new PCM. Also they did not make the ecoboost F-150 to haul ass and take corners. It is a truck and it's made to tow, haul, and get good gas mileage for the power it has. Comparing an X to a Full size truck made for work is pointless. An ecoboost truck is right around $32-$33K and they drive sooo nice.

Last edited:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Of course it does, but I was addressing that you are able to gain 130 or more BHP on the 1gr. You can stick some average driver in a 800 hp skyline but it'll be next to useless if the person is unable to drive fast it right. That be said this is where a BIG difference comes into play. One is a car and the other a truck, the truck can still tow and haul, where as the mustang MIGHT be able to a dinky little atv trailer. One also sells many, many, many more than the other and has a much LARGER aftermarket support.

I don't consider the XR a real useful truck since its tow capacity is very light and it has the same offroading capabilities as my Mustang.

I never pulled anything with my XR, nor would I as its counter productive to make it tow ready and performance oriented. The XR is not a truck designed for any kind of real pulling. I pull a 25 foot trailer and excavator with the dodge ram cummins (somewhere around 13,000 lbs) and I pull a 10 foot ATV trailer with my beater jeep (3,000 lbs).

I wouldn't say tow capacity is one of the XR's advantages since its not particularly any better at it then any other light duty vehicle with a hitch (small truck, SUV, even a car).... The XR is pretty much a car with a bed for carrying mulch and maybe a quad or pulling a small trailer.

Better to tow with a vehicle that is really up to the job then to tow with your baby. A beater tow vehicle is pretty cheap and you wont end up beating on your nice vehicle pulling crap around.

You can gain 130 HP on just about anything, it all depends on how deep your pockets are and what you end up with for your money in the end.

Even an average driver in an 800 HP car will still be very fast lol; not to its max potential but very, very quick indeed.

There is a ton of Tacomas and Mustangs on the road.

The aftermarket support for the mustang is massive in comparison to the XR (one of the XR's downfalls), the parts are better, & more affordable.

Thats the XR's major downfall (really no aftermarket support - make your own stuff from scratch).

Last edited:
Top Bottom