Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

In-dash pc touchscreen

nine9six

Reaction score
That's a bad ass setup right there. I would LOVE to have that.

How much did it cost you to do that?

lance426

Reaction score
I am building these systems for around 1500 with the screen and completely tested

xmadcowx

Reaction score
I am building these systems for around 1500 with the screen and completely tested

1500? That's pretty steep. Considering the components (fully assembled and tested) you are using cost 600 bucks from mp3car.com. Hope your fabricator isn't bending you over for that remaining 900 bucks. You also might want to contact David because I know Centrafuse has pretty strict guidelines about selling hardware with their software running on it.....very strict.

I'm not trying to piss on your parade, but I have been building car pcs for over 6 years now, just giving you a heads up on the sh*tstorm that is coming your way should you try to market these.

nine9six

Reaction score
That's a little more than I want to spend. I work in IT, so building it won't be my issue.

Is there any chance you'll do a write-up? Or you looking to sell only?

lance426

Reaction score
For all those concerned I am not offering anything with Centrafuse as a complete system. I merely had a single photo of my system running centrafuse. Thx for the concern. And for those that think they know how much money gets involved by the time you add all the cables and extra components these systems get steep even if you build it yourself. The parts alone will run you at least 600 for a base system with a screen........then if you run centrafuse ......125 dollars last time I checked for the software. Cables at least 70-80 if you run external amps which you almost have to. So your looking at around 800 minimum then at least lets say about 6 hours building and installation if everything goes right. For an experienced person to do everything it will run at least a few hundred.

xmadcowx

Reaction score
Since I went through this thing at least 3 times in the past 5 years of owning my truck I'll sum it up right here.

System itself - $600+. Anyone who knows anything about a computer, can probably build one, I know people with full towers in their trunks filled with parts from old computers, so who knows, this might be free for you depending on what you have in your closet.

Power supply $75+ - You can go cheap and use an inverter, but that is, the cheap, halfassed way out. Buy a real dc-dc automotive power supply integrated with your ignition system with real time battery monitoring. I have an Opus 320w which, unfortunately, is not made anymore, I think it cost me $225 back in the day.

Monitor - $200+ - You get what you pay for, and I'll leave it at that.

Misc stuff $75-150 - gps antenna, cables (usb extension cables, some 18gauge wire, your basic amp wiring, etc)

Any fabrication work - $0-??? - Most of the monitors come with stands and believe it or not, many people just mount the thing to their dash with velcro, screws, etc. People use cupholders, whatever. You want someone to build a fiberglass dash like mine with the monitor molded into it, plan on paying a decent amount if you want the job done right.

Knowledge and how to do this - A decent amount. This isn't "hey I know how to use facebook, I can put a computer in my car". The install is going to take as long as you want it too. But at least an entire day, and that's if you have some idea what you are doing. I have been doing building, assisting, and tweaking these systems for 6 years and I am still learning.

There is plenty of info out there on the web to do this yourself, but not many people are comfortable jumping into it, and end up taking the safe route up and plugging in their ipod =)

nine9six

Reaction score
What is Centrafuse?

Pardon my ignorance. I'd rather ask someone who uses it, than Google it.

This is a sweet project, and I would LOVE to have a *nix box in my truck, but for the $ I'd rather invest in some "go-fast" goodies. Realistically, the last thing I need in my life is another computer to deal with. Sweet project though. :top:

I'll be honest, I've never even thought about doing this.

HiFi-08XR

Reaction score
where did you relocate the clock and the hazard button at?
is the hazard button touch screen too???hahaha

TacoDude

Reaction score
:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:
THAT IS A SWEET MOD!!!!!

lance426

Reaction score
I had to leave the hazard out since I went with a larger screen unfortunately. I am seriously considering going with a 7" double din transreflective screen so that I can use a double din dash kit and still retain the clock and hazard lights.

For all those about the price.....do the research on mp3.com. Parts alone will cost you over a grand easy for a basic system if you want it done right. Pretty much exactly like building a regular pc. Only two different factors really. One is the dc to dc regulated power supply. Two is all the engine noise from the vehicle but if installed correctly will be next to none. I don't know how much people are charging where most of you are from for custom built pcs but to install this setup is alot more involved from start to in the truck and running. So good luck.

Last edited:

5000XD

Reaction score
Very nice indeed! Been looking for such a setup so long. I might be contacting you if I try this myself.

My idea has always been to run soft gauges like on the Nissan GT-R.....

ntinhri

Reaction score
that is still awesome... You could easily get a wireless card and be online for the radio, map quest for directions, all while checking out the whooty thread..

SooRunner

Reaction score
That $H!t is sick!

A plus for this mod is for those who run the X-1. You can tune one the fly and not worry bout your laptop flying around.

Top Bottom