Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Injector Cleaning

Input on what should I do about injector and fuel system cleaning?

• Continue adding injector clean to fuel tank every oil change

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Have the dealer clean my injectors and fuel system

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Purchase Injector clean tool and perform this service myself

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Don't bother wasting any money on bs dealership injector cleaning or fuel injector cleaners

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
flow matched is the way to go.

honestly, at 30K or 60K you really should not have carbon build up on your injectors unless you are running super crappy gas or your driving style is a very short duration in very high temperatures. So you are really wasting you money cleaning them that early. Toyota recommends it to cover the masses, included the people that will put any gas in it with any wonder additive off the walmart shelf. If you are running premium, top quality gas, you should have little to no buildup on them, or the valves.

sending them out to get "serviced" is also a crock. A inlet filter of an injector has to be 70% clogged before you will see any difference in the performance of the injector. And I am talking 70% completely clogged.

There is also no way to " flow match" your injectors unless they are matched when you send them in. There is no way to change the injector calibration once they are built. The only useful info that you get from this is which injectors are rich and which are lean. and you can use that info for placement ( example would be LS motors in which certain cylinders run leaner than others due to poor stock intake design.)

When you send an injector to be serviced, they change the inlet filter ( if applicable), put new o-rings on, soak the tips in acetone and then operate the injector independently in top engine cleaner ( or some other solvent). Honestly, the tip soak has the most impact if the injector is really coaked up.

but what do I know

Justin

You probably haven't even seen a fuel injector before. :rolleyez:
You just googled all that info, not like you design and test these things for a living :biggrin:

STONER-X

Reaction score
i have always ran premium fuel and every oil change i add a can of B12 to the tank... i have done this on all my cars and have never really had any fuel problems.....

i think that the only reason you would need to pay to have the injectors serviced is if you have never done any type of fuel service before....

i use to turn wrenches about 3 years... realized i liked it better as a hobby rather than a career...

the shop i worked at did the BG fuel service... it contained 2 cans.. one can was the fuel service that flushed the injectors threw the fuel rail using a can that you pressurized using shop air that forced the cleaner into the motor... and the other was a can that was added to the tank.... kinda like an off the shelf product.... thats probably what the "night and day" difference is caused by...

im sure if you were to do your fuel mileage before the service then during and after your fuel mileage would be "normal".... then slightly higher.... then back to normal again...

i think as long as you keep track of your fuel mileage you will know if you need to get an injector flush... i average any where between 17-19 mpg per tank.... now if it were to slowly decrease to 15-18 mpg per tank then i would say that a flush should be considered... since 7k when i put my S/C on my mpg has been the same.. i check it each tank using the trip od... im now at 48k i don't plan on getting a flush i don't feel i need it....

now my 97 rodeo with 150k is getting 16 mpg so far... ya im doing some major fuel overhauls on it... rebuilding the fuel injectors chem dipping the intake. upper and lower.. gasket match the ports and new fuel filter....

STONER-X

Reaction score
Just curious, what are you rebuilding?

filter and o-ring swap?

Justin

yes,
the o-rings plus the filter screen in the top of the injector.. and the peice that goes on the bottom... it is like a $20 kit to do all 6 of them.... i will also "flow test" them.... to make sure they are spraying properly... How???

injectors pulse due to power on and off... so i am going to use a small power supply, a rubber hose, and injector cleaner...

clamp rubber hose to top on injector, fill with cleaner, clamp air hose to other end of hose (30-40psi) and pulse the injector using the power supply untill the spray is "good enough"....

i wouldn't consider it true flow testing but i would say it is good enough to get a decient spraying injector

rich017

Reaction score
Go to tooltopia.com and look under the specialty tools section. Then go to fueland you will find many injector cleaning tools. All around $100, but you need to find one that will fit our trucks since ours are weird and they and don't have a service port on the fuel rail.

firesquare16

Reaction score
I myself just run good quality top tier high octane 93 in my area. sorry CA :p

STONER-X

Reaction score
here is some good stuff i found with my rodeo after the CEL came on... 1401 (?) restricted egr...

pretty much the EGR port was completly blocked by carbon... i had to use a screw driver to open it back up... if you look at one of the pics you can actually see the carbon sticking in to the intake air area (??) the entire intake was black and yellow from dirt and fuel vapors and carbon..... this intake is a poster child for the ditry fuel systems...... before anyone says anything about my rodeo.... let me say this.. i just bought it..... $600!!!! and she runs strong but strong with neglect .. im working on that...

soooo if you fuel system looks a little like this.. then YES do a fuel system flush maybe after this little clean up ill get better than 16mpg... im gonna pull the intake and clean the upper and lower and all that junk as well....

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 101

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
yes,
the o-rings plus the filter screen in the top of the injector.. and the peice that goes on the bottom... it is like a $20 kit to do all 6 of them.... i will also "flow test" them.... to make sure they are spraying properly... How???

injectors pulse due to power on and off... so i am going to use a small power supply, a rubber hose, and injector cleaner...

clamp rubber hose to top on injector, fill with cleaner, clamp air hose to other end of hose (30-40psi) and pulse the injector using the power supply untill the spray is "good enough"....

i wouldn't consider it true flow testing but i would say it is good enough to get a decient spraying injector

I cant think of any current injector manufacturers that use the plastic caps on the tips of the injectors anymore for new stuff.

Old Bosch injectors are notorious for the caps cracking and falling off.

You could just soak the injector tips in acetone and use your flow method to clean them.

The denso parts that the 1GR uses do not have servicable diverter caps on the tips. If you have a gummed up basket filter, then you should be looking for fuel system decay up stream since that filter is only there to catch debris at the system startup at the factory and it not designed to be a system filter.

I wouldnt plan on needing an injector cleaning until 100K minimum if running top grade fuels. With today's emmissions regulations on vehicles, there isnt alot of extra fuel deposited in the intake to heat up and coak. Carbon build up is caused by extra fuel and heat.

$600 bucks is a good deal for that Rodeo. I am on the hunt for a new beater car as well.

Justin

HOTROD-X

Reaction score
go to the dealer and let them know that you want the induction and efi cleaning done had mine done at the dealership i work at sand mountain toyota of boaz alabama it helped alot and i can tell that it helped with throttle responce and seems like it runs better

Tunedx

Reaction score
go to the dealer and let them know that you want the induction and efi cleaning done had mine done at the dealership i work at sand mountain toyota of boaz alabama it helped alot and i can tell that it helped with throttle responce and seems like it runs better

How many miles do u have on her?

rich017

Reaction score
here is some good stuff i found with my rodeo after the CEL came on... 1401 (?) restricted egr...

pretty much the EGR port was completly blocked by carbon... i had to use a screw driver to open it back up... if you look at one of the pics you can actually see the carbon sticking in to the intake air area (??) the entire intake was black and yellow from dirt and fuel vapors and carbon..... this intake is a poster child for the ditry fuel systems...... before anyone says anything about my rodeo.... let me say this.. i just bought it..... $600!!!! and she runs strong but strong with neglect .. im working on that...

soooo if you fuel system looks a little like this.. then YES do a fuel system flush maybe after this little clean up ill get better than 16mpg... im gonna pull the intake and clean the upper and lower and all that junk as well....

LOL, speaking of a rodeo, my GF has an 02 and I cleaned the intake manifold.

Here is what it looked like..... It has 80K on the motor

Attachments

• DSCF3059.jpg
    DSCF3059.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF3063.jpg
    DSCF3063.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 106

blastap

Reaction score
over the counter cleaners are a waste of money to me, if you think they are dirty(doubt it) back flush them into a white towel so you can see what comes out. I do this quite often in the powersports world to show customers why there stuff wont run. 99% of the time its gas that sits on the injector and starts to gum up(microbial induced corrosion). Quality gas and dont let it sit...

STONER-X

Reaction score
LOL, speaking of a rodeo, my GF has an 02 and I cleaned the intake manifold.

Here is what it looked like..... It has 80K on the motor

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: mine will probably look like mud deep inside.......:laugh::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: are those butterfly valves in teh middle a "preformance" deal? i wonder if mine has that??? its only a 3.2 sohc v-6

over the counter cleaners are a waste of money to me, if you think they are dirty(doubt it) back flush them into a white towel so you can see what comes out. I do this quite often in the powersports world to show customers why there stuff wont run. 99% of the time its gas that sits on the injector and starts to gum up(microbial induced corrosion). Quality gas and dont let it sit...

i think that the over the counter cleaners are good for a light basic service, but not a full clean.... how do you back flush the injector?? from the sounds of it you force the fluid in reverse....... but do you have to cycle the injector??

rich017

Reaction score
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: mine will probably look like mud deep inside.......:laugh::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: are those butterfly valves in teh middle a "preformance" deal? i wonder if mine has that??? its only a 3.2 sohc v-6

i think that the over the counter cleaners are good for a light basic service, but not a full clean.... how do you back flush the injector?? from the sounds of it you force the fluid in reverse....... but do you have to cycle the injector??

My guess is that at full throttle, those valves open up. That is the upper part of the intake manifold. It comes off in 3 pieces (upper, middle and lower)

It looked like a mess to me because the air goes through SO many passages before it goes into the motor. She has the 3.2L V6 in hers also, but the rodeos have a problem with oil consumption through the PCV and that's why it gets so dirty inside there.

blastap

Reaction score

take the injector out and put pressure to the back side with a cleaner sitting on the head, cycle the injector and watch the junk come out.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
take the injector out and put pressure to the back side with a cleaner sitting on the head, cycle the injector and watch the junk come out.

what kind of cleaner are you talking bout here. Like a can of compressed cleaner (maf, brake clean..etc) like form kragen/autozone? Also i how would one get the injectors to cycle? I know how they work, but how would you cycle it off the car?

Im actually studying to become a Toyota technician, and i have been wrenching for a few years, and i would love to know how to do this!!!!

Got my truck with 114k miles,
the previous owner was a cheap ass. He never replaced any common parts and doubt he would pay to have the injectors cleaned. i replaced the plugs when i got it and they where long past toast. helped the ruff idle a little.

My truck has over 126k miles...it still has a ruff idle and no powah. Get shitty milage, 16mpg, even when i drive responsibly, 14mpg normally. Assuming im reading you guys right, that sounds like clogged injectors...

Help me out here. Thanks

STONER-X

Reaction score
what kind of cleaner are you talking bout here. Like a can of compressed cleaner (maf, brake clean..etc) like form kragen/autozone? Also i how would one get the injectors to cycle? I know how they work, but how would you cycle it off the car?

Help me out here. Thanks

READ!! and absorb :smile: this DIY task is not for all... keep in mind if you dont feel comfortable "DIYing" then look in to having a shop flush the injectors..... it may cost more but it also may save you from having to buy new injectors...

http://www.rowand.net/shop/tech/DIYFuelInjectorCleaning.htm

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
hhmmmm

READ!! and absorb :smile: this DIY task is not for all... keep in mind if you dont feel comfortable "DIYing" then look in to having a shop flush the injectors..... it may cost more but it also may save you from having to buy new injectors...

http://www.rowand.net/shop/tech/DIYF...orCleaning.htm
I read through it carefully. I do fell comfortable doing this. I'll save it for a day where i don't have work or school the next day....haha

Last edited:

STONER-X

Reaction score
I read through it carefully. I do fell comfortable doing this. I'll save it for a day where i don't have work or school the next day....haha

ya it is diffidently one of those thing that will take a bit of time....

Top Bottom