Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

innotrends ca-fi android head unit

zr2ee

Reaction score
put in an order on a innotrends CA-FI 620 unit over the weekend, it's shipping out from hong kong and i'll be reviewing the unit when it arrives. for those who haven't heard of this unit it's a dedicated double din headunit with a 6.2in 800x480 running on android. there are 2 flavors currently but only the 620 is released as of dec 1 2011. it's packed with a 800Mhz CPU, 256Mb ram
you can find the nitty gritty here: www.ca-fi.com
Actual supplier/manufacturer: http://www.carit.com.cn/en/
ca-fi-demo2.jpg

Confirmed list of working apps
  • Slacker Radio
  • Android Market
  • Swype keyboard
  • Waze Navigation
  • Big button keyboard
  • sygic navigation
  • beautiful widgets

Confirmed list of working features
  • Resume last run media on start up
  • bluetooth hands free calling and media streaming
  • Wifi tethering from another device
  • Full Ipod control, sync and charging
  • media input via front mini USB port
  • Charging via front and rear USB ports

Issues to be resolved
  • announce caller ID and text messages
  • larger fonts
  • universal gesture control
  • voice searching/dialing
  • park sensing for viewing video content
  • no supplied documentation
*UPDATE* 1/3/12 uploaded new unboxing video here sorry for the terrible video http://youtu.be/Mgka_6PfV_I

*UPDATE* 1/6/12 uploaded new first boot video: http://youtu.be/TGTVWU1kaj0

*UPDATE* 1/9/12 some features: http://youtu.be/nYxQwvSZeWE

*UPDATE* 1/21/12 some more features!: http://youtu.be/vtQWzs7oT18

*UPDATE* 1/25/12 installed with sound: http://youtu.be/0GtxX5qwcDg

Last edited:

Toon714

Reaction score
oh damn SWEET!:top:
keep us updated!
it looks and sounds bad ass!
ill upgrade my pionner 920bt anyday for this.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
That thing is dope. They created these for dealers to have as stock radios, but it was bypassed. Something like Europe is gonna start putting them in their cars next year.

Kinda pricey, but what you get, it's not bad. Kinda funny it's Android and has iPod on it...haha!

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my 910bt for something with bluetooth audio. Been using it testing new cars at work lol.

justin13703

Reaction score
This thing looks sweet, I'm definitely interested. I have a x920bt too but I'd love to have something with wifi and customizable like that. Keep us updated and def get some pics when you get it. The quality of some stuff coming from hong kong still sketches me out sometimes.

zr2ee

Reaction score
When you think about it though what isn't manufactured in china. Even apple products come out of there. I can't really complain about the price considering the features especially if you stack it up against other navigation head units

STONER-X

Reaction score
ya have to agree there is a lot that goes into getting a tablet in the dash as the main interface..... after i spent $600 on a tablet only to find out its not practical.... dont get me wrong... i still use the h*ll out of the tablet.. just not in the truck like planned... ill get it in there one of these days...

justin13703

Reaction score
When you think about it though what isn't manufactured in china. Even apple products come out of there. I can't really complain about the price considering the features especially if you stack it up against other navigation head units

Yeah I guess you're right. I just am a car audio installer and I've done a bunch of double dins straight out of china somewhere and they're so terrible lol. This one is different though I think. Especially cause its android and it looks like it has good stuff in there. It looks legit.

CBRBob

Reaction score

It all depends on the specs. If a good company has a co. there make something to a good spec, it'll be good. If they give it crap specs, its crap, same co., same builders.

zr2ee

Reaction score
Yeah I guess you're right. I just am a car audio installer and I've done a bunch of double dins straight out of china somewhere and they're so terrible lol. This one is different though I think. Especially cause its android and it looks like it has good stuff in there. It looks legit.
It all depends on the specs. If a good company has a co. there make something to a good spec, it'll be good. If they give it crap specs, its crap, same co., same builders.

i definately agree there are still a lot of things that come out that are crap but most of the time you get what you pay for, if this unit was $300 or something then i'd probably be more suspicious. only time will tell seeing as how there aren't really any in depth audio specs of the freq response and signal to noise ratio and what not but it does look pretty legit. i looked up the specs on the processor and 2 of the 3 were automotive grade, not sure which one they used in this model but i would have to assume it was one of the 2 that were. the biggest issue i see so far is the lack of product support as i've seen no way to contact them other than their physical address.

Rapidformz

Reaction score
thats an interesting head unit its only a matter of time til windows 7 or mac comes standard in cars but android platform is cool dvb-t isnt that for intl tv stations or something like that ?

zr2ee

Reaction score
thats an interesting head unit its only a matter of time til windows 7 or mac comes standard in cars but android platform is cool dvb-t isnt that for intl tv stations or something like that ?

most OEM headunits are already running windows, it's just a dumbed down custom embedded version like ford's sync. there are double din headunits out that run full blown versions of windows, they aren't cheap of course but there are software packages made for in car use. Mp3car.com is where you can find a lot of it.

i wasn't sure of the dvb-t either but it looks like it's a eupoean standard for digital tv. this kind of breaks it down: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

zr2ee

Reaction score
new unboxing video is up! on the first post. i'll be installing it and doing a review video tomorrow.

zr2ee

Reaction score
so far it's really good, everything works as described. just got the market installed as well as beautiful widgets and torque, i'm setting up all my software on the bench before i complete my install tomorrow and optimize the EQ. just need to get it setup to tether off of my phone

Toon714

Reaction score
wow. keep us updated on the tethering. if it works ima get rid of my pionner 920bt for this unit!

zr2ee

Reaction score
will do, i'll be doing a root on my phone hopefully tomorrow if i get some time after i put the deck in, 4G for the win!

zr2ee

Reaction score
another video is up on the first post, i wasn't able to get everything i wanted but i'll post some more hopefully when i get into vegas this evening

zr2ee

Reaction score
hey everybody, i posted a new video on the first post and updated some information to hopefully answer some questions more easily

Top Bottom