Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Internal air filter removed

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
I removed this filter and notice a difference in gas mileage and slightly better acceleration. I removed this filter because I was going to clean it. It looked pretty dirty. I tried cleaning it but you're unable to clean it and it totally restricts the air flow. So I left it out. Does anyone know the function/ purpose this filter serves besides restricting the air flow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 91

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Thats the carbon filter I believe. More filtering power...

Gadget

Reaction score
I have dyno tested removing that carbon trap and it makes no difference in power at all.

G

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
It seems to let more air flow leaving it off than having it on. Do you know of any problems that occur by not having the filter on.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
It is not going to make any difference if it is on or off.

G

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Because you're in CA, if they notice that is is not there when getting smogged, you wont pass visual.
I don't know if you will pass without it though. Don't think they test for how the truck "exhales" yet...
:dontknow:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I have dyno tested removing that carbon trap and it makes no difference in power at all.

G

Did you dyno test it after being clogged full of shit for 7 years as his has been? It looks pretty filthy and restrictive to me.

MadToy

Reaction score
If it was dirty, that means dirt is getting past your primary filter. I'd rather have the secondary catching it, as opposed to it going through the motor. Especially if it has no performance benefit removing it....

STONER-X

Reaction score
wouldnt an air filter prevent it from clogging? the PVC system would have to travel a long way against the air flow?

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
If it was dirty, that means dirt is getting past your primary filter. I'd rather have the secondary catching it, as opposed to it going through the motor. Especially if it has no performance benefit removing it....

The issue is its not meant to be a replaceable part. So what are you to do if it gets dirty and clogged with crap? The better idea is to keep a good quality air filter on the thing.

05xrunnerx

Reaction score
That piece is made of metal isn't it? Why not try cleaning it with a solvent like b 12 carb cleaner.

Gadget

Reaction score
Did you dyno test it after being clogged full of shit for 7 years as his has been? It looks pretty filthy and restrictive to me.

Well, that is a good point. I don't know how it would become clogged though. Should be nothing but clean filtered air going through it, well unless you ran a K&N filter then who knows.

G

That piece is made of metal isn't it? Why not try cleaning it with a solvent like b 12 carb cleaner.

It is plastic and contains pellets made of zeolites.

If you dump chemicals on it will likely ruin it.

G

Last edited:

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Because you're in CA, if they notice that is is not there when getting smogged, you wont pass visual.
I don't know if you will pass without it though. Don't think they test for how the truck "exhales" yet...
:dontknow:

I hear ya on that. I believe they do test for "exhales". I've watched them and they do not check the internal air intake yet. I'll be curious to see how it will do on my next smog check.

The issue is its not meant to be a replaceable part. So what are you to do if it gets dirty and clogged with crap? The better idea is to keep a good quality air filter on the thing.

This was my thinking, which brought me to this topic of discussion. :hmmmm2: I also notice even after changing my spark plugs it seem my gas mileage was still not all that great ( to and from work on a full tank would last me 1 week) since I removed the internal filter it has increased my gas mileage back to 1 1/2 weeks on a full tank.

Last edited:
Top Bottom