Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JL 10w6 vs Alpine 10 Type R

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
I need some opinions or experiences on these two subs in a wanna be subX. I have a JL 500/1 amp and I'm tryin to decide on which sub now. The JL handles 600 rms and the the Alpine handles 500 rms but the JL is around $350 and at best buy the type r is $179. I know u get what u pay for but is the type r worth getting or should I just wait to get the w6?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the 10s but I've had 12" Alpine Type Rs [(2)-1240Ds in my S-10, and (2)-1222D's in the XR] for about 10 yrs now and never had a problem with one of them. They've never disappointed.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Just start out small man, thats what I did. That way if you screw up and your sub catches on fire you wouldnt have wasted too much. And this way you can sell off your old subs to someone starting out and just upgrade yours. Thats how I did mine. Started off with a 12" kenwood in a ported box with a 350watt, caught fire, sold the amp, upgraded to a directed 800watt amp and a directed 15 sub. Blew the sub all to pieces, and upgraded to a crunch groundpounder 1400watt sub on the same directed amp. Sealed box now, sounds great and clear without blowing out your ear drums, but still enough power to show off.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about starting out kinda cheap cuz money is kinda tight right now but I read that the type r handles 500 rms so the amp I have should be perfect for it. I might do that for now then ill upgrade later and put the alpine in the wifes car so she won't be jealous anymore lol. Anyone else have or had these with any advice?

G352XR

Reaction score
I hate to tell you to spend more money than you want to, but I say do it right the first time. You will never regret buying the better "thing" , but most of the time I get buyers remorse if I settle for the cheaper one. So I say wait and get the 10w6. Just wait a few more days then check the classifieds. I sold my truck and will soon be selling my SubX with 10w6.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
i actually got the 10w6 and everything was working fine for a few weeks but now not so much. im having some kinda voltage issue where the amp shuts off with a good bass hit. i have a cap that was given to me but i dont think it works and im not sure how to test it...never had to before

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need a cap. I'm running 1250+ watts and have not problems at all. Sounds like a weak ground.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
where do u have ur amps grounded? im sure the ground wire to vehicle connection might be bad but is it possible that the gound connetion to the cap can be bad also? its ground to ground and hot to hot like its suppose to be. i have the ground hooked up to a bracked that the stock sub was mounted on. i prolly need to grind off some paint and self tap screw it into the body....duh... lol. i really didnt think about the ground i was going straight after the battery. i had a problem with an hid kit not working right which is y i thought the battery was going bad but i brought it to auto zone and they said it was fine.

G352XR

Reaction score
I had my amp under the front seat and used the front left bolt for the seat to ground the amp. Remember... Your ground wire should be as big as your power wire and I read somewhere a long time ago that it should be as short as possible. Like 18 inches or less... I don't know why or if it really matters... That's what I've always done and it's always worked. Never used a capacitor either, just try without it...

SooRunner

Reaction score
I just installed my JL 500/1 amp and Type R sub. It kicks pretty damn hard...I don't know how hard do you want it to kick cuz the sub is right behind you.

I grounded my amp to the one of the seat bolts that holds down the front seat. No problem so far.

I think the JL amp is tricky to adjust especially there is like a bunch of knobs on there...I got mine set up where it kicks pretty clean.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
yeah i hear ya. i just completely took the cap out the system and now it works fine i just gotta tune the amp again. something was going on with the cap where it was shorting out. but everything is cool now

Pundit

Reaction score
the best way to tell how hard it slams is to watch your rearview. if the cars behind are jumping, your shit is thumpin'

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
the best way to tell how hard it slams is to watch your rearview. if the cars behind are jumping, your shit is thumpin'

My rearview mirror shakes with the stock speakers.... Any updates on what you bought? I got a JL and it is pretty sick :top:

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Yeah i got a JL10w6v2. I miss having bass but i really havent listened to it since i got it lol

hotrodt

Reaction score
go with the jls i have 2 10w3s in my tuck with a 1000w fosgate. that sh!t slams. i have to run a cap though. ive already destroyed 1 battery. so dont listen to what someone says about not useing a cap. it will save your battery and amp for a longer peroid of time.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
go with the jls i have 2 10w3s in my tuck with a 1000w fosgate. that sh!t slams. i have to run a cap though. ive already destroyed 1 battery. so dont listen to what someone says about not useing a cap. it will save your battery and amp for a longer peroid of time.

Did you run two batteries? I am running a red top for my truck and a yellow top specifically for my 1000/1 JL and alpine 450/4F amp. I have been told that a capacitor is useless if you do 2 batteries.

hotrodt

Reaction score
Did you run two batteries? I am running a red top for my truck and a yellow top specifically for my 1000/1 JL and alpine 450/4F amp. I have been told that a capacitor is useless if you do 2 batteries.
no i just have a red top. a cap charges way faster than a battery. and stores power for that sudden boost of power that the amp needs, a battery charges slower and the altanator can only charge so much. if you are useing more amperage than your alt. is kicking out then you will kill your charging system. if you ever go to a big spl drag or something like that those guys run tons of batterys and caps.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
my friend had a yellow top with his setup and he can listen to his system full blast with his car off for like 1 1/2 hours before the battery started dying. mine sounds pretty good but i think i made the box a little to small. i dunno if im gonna make another one or just keep the one i have but it sounds good

Top Bottom