Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Locker additive:

livinginsa

Reaction score
I was low on gear lubricant in the XR transaxle. I used the MT-90, SAE 75W90, but a friend of mine told me that since I have a locker that I need to put locker lubricant in there. Is that true? If that is true which kind should I use? I have the 2005 XR.

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
Read the bottle and see if it is recommended for LSD diffs. If not, I use the amsoil sliplock with great results in mine. Hope this helps bro.

AmsoilSL.jpg

ntinhri

Reaction score
Lol yardie u don't drive your truck. Hahahahaha

Coupe

Reaction score
Technically not a locker, but the Limited slip additive is a good idea.

djcsx-runner

" I love blue waffles"
Reaction score
changed out a buddies rear diff oil yesterday used royal purple

Super Werty

Reaction score
amsoil severe gear 75w90. and you dont need to add the extra lsd stuff with it.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
If you used the mt 90 you should put in a bottle of the LSD additive, redline makes one for their products, it's listed on the site, I put it when I changed the oil. Whereever you got your oil from should have it and or get it

poki

Reaction score
I put in two 4-ounce containers of LSD additive after changing out to the synthetic Redline rear end oil. It still moans and chatters. Should I go for a third container of LSD additive?

Gadget

Reaction score
If you put MT-90 in your diff, you better drain that out before you drive it.

That is not meant for hypoid type gears found in diffs. It does not have the high pressure sliding gear additives in it and you will wreck your diff gears in a very short time.

There is a member here that put MT-90 in his rear diff and in less than 25 miles he wasted his diff gears.

AMSOIL gear lube comes with the LSD additive in it.

G

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
I went with royal purple and have had good results. However I don't have an LSD, I have some crap diff. Anyway synthetics all the way.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was low on gear lubricant in the XR transaxle. I used the MT-90, SAE 75W90, but a friend of mine told me that since I have a locker that I need to put locker lubricant in there. Is that true? If that is true which kind should I use? I have the 2005 XR.

If you had purchased their Gear oil instead of the Manul Transmission oil you wouldn't need any additive. If you go to their website, www.Redlineoil.com you can pick up a bottle of their blend additive.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
If you put MT-90 in your diff, you better drain that out before you drive it.

That is not meant for hypoid type gears found in diffs. It does not have the high pressure sliding gear additives in it and you will wreck your diff gears in a very short time.

There is a member here that put MT-90 in his rear diff and in less than 25 miles he wasted his diff gears.

AMSOIL gear lube comes with the LSD additive in it.

G

while you are far wiser than I, I disagree with ya here, as per my haynes Maint manual and our FAQ section the diff requires this:

Oil type: Gear oil API GL-5
Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 75W-90

which is what MT-90 is. I have been running MT90 with one bottle of redlines LSD additive for 20,000km now with no issues. There are also several other members running it in their diff... I am guessing the guy that wrecked his didn't have enough in there or didn't use the additive :hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

Gadget

Reaction score
It might be way to late, but GET THAT MANUAL TRANSMISSION OIL OUT OF YOUR DIFF. It does not have the necessary ingredients for hypoid sliding gears.

The additive people are talking about has nothing to do with the gears it is for the clutches in the LSD.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

Read the 3rd bullet point......

G

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
our diffs are meant to have hypoid gear oil in there. if it isn't hypoid oil, you're most likely damaging it

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
I'm gonna agree with gadget completely. Redline also has 75w90 gear oil which is gl5 not the mt90. That's what I used in my diff. Mt90 is only for the transmission

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha well apparently all I needed to do was read! Well It looks like I am climbing under tomorrow! Glad I found this out before too late!

Murderface

Reaction score
Haha well apparently all I needed to do was read! Well It looks like I am climbing under tomorrow! Glad I found this out before too late!

ask if u are not sure with something, we are all here to help u. Good thing u read this thread and hopefully no damage was done:top:

Edgeman

Reaction score
It might be way to late, but GET THAT MANUAL TRANSMISSION OIL OUT OF YOUR DIFF. It does not have the necessary ingredients for hypoid sliding gears.

The additive people are talking about has nothing to do with the gears it is for the clutches in the LSD.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

Read the 3rd bullet point......

G

I believe this is what needs to be added to our Diffs:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=57904

Contains additional friction modifiers for suitablity with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required

This product is not designed for use in most manual transmissions or tranaxles, since the extreme slipperiness may cause synchronizer mesh issues that lead to shifting problems

As you said, the MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear oil is designed for our transmissions, not our diffs. Good catch Gadget!

poki

Reaction score
I'm gonna agree with gadget completely. Redline also has 75w90 gear oil which is gl5 not the mt90. That's what I used in my diff. Mt90 is only for the transmission
How many containers of LSD did you add? I used the same Redline gear oil (not the MT-90) and so far have added two 4-ounce containers of LSD additives but it is still groaning.

Top Bottom