Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Long(er) wearing performance tires?

LilRed

Reaction score
Okay so everyone knows tires are not cheap.... and I personally never take my truck to the track. I need a tire that will perform well for street driving, but most importantly I want it to last longer than freakin 15K!!! I was looking on the grid G019 by Bridgestone. These have a warranty for 50,000, and they are decent performing tires (for the cost). What do you think? Any tires that will out perform while maintaining or beating 50K? Thanks for your inputs. :dontknow:

what about the g-Force Super Sport A/S? they have a 255/45/18's. Any body know if the performance and life of that tire is good?

Last edited:

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
I really depends on your driving and where you drive really. I have bridgestone too and love them but they multitask alot. they are my daily driver tire and track tire. not only that but the roads and highways in texas aren't what you would call great. I'm sure you can drive them for a long time if you keep the psi right, rotate and have them properly balance and if the suspension is in good shape. I really think 50,000 miles is pushing it but like I said it depends on how you drive with them and where you drive.

Jwall

Reaction score
I got 30,000 out of my two Bridgestones in the rear... lol! do doo dadoo.. weird how the back burns out quicker lmao, i will investigate!

The Fronts still are 60-70%

Yallrun

Reaction score
You got to do a ton of research on tires. Pay close attention to the tread wear number. Only reason stocks tire do not last long is the factory goes with the lowest bidder on the best tire they can get. They go with soft tires because they feel better when your driving, down side is they don't last that long.

You get what you pay for. Save up and get the best you can. The best brand of tires I've put on any of my vehicles is a 40-50k, tread wear 300 to 400 set of Michelins.

Before I met my wife she has the cheapest tires you could buy because she didn't know any better. Her car rode like it has round concrete tires. It was awful and scary to drive. I put a set of Michelins Primacy's (60k warranty, Tread wear 400) on there and it was a totally different car, it felt stable, safe and had lots of grip! My wife was s pissed I spent the money, and then she drove it and loved the difference it made.

Tread wear on the X's stock Bridgestone’s is 140, might as well be driving on sponges. I got 22k out of those and I'm not an agressive driver. That is truely pathetic.

Edgeman

Reaction score
Pay close attention to the tread wear number. Only reason stocks tire do not last long is the factory goes with the lowest bidder on the best tire they can get. They go with soft tires because they feel better when your driving, down side is they don't last that long.

Believe we may have some misconceptions. X-Runners were built for on purpose - specifically to out-handle (not only trucks, but) most every other vehicle on the street, right off the lot. The 350Z was their primary target, and wanted to pull higher skid-pad #s than Nissan's mighty "Z-car." Guess what, they achieved that goal!

There are several things Toyota did to accomplish that goal (shocks, springs, ride height, etc.), but the most important, I mean the absolutely most important thing they installed was the tires. That's what put them over the top in the handling category. They didn't go with "soft tires because they feel better when you're driving." If Toyota wanted the build the X for "comfort," they wouldn't have gone with a low profile tire/wheel combination & a stiff suspension.

My opinion: if you want comfort, don't buy an X-Runner... go buy a Prerunner or some other Tacoma that's built with tall tires & less of a "hard edge" suspension. If you want a truck that handles like a BMW (a solid axle BMW...lol), buy an X-Runner. It's made to "bust corners." It's also not a 1/4 drag truck, but one that can be made to be pretty darn fast...faster than one would expect.

muzzyfsu

Reaction score
great tire for the money and they last a LOOONG time are nitto 420s, great tire, great price, great wear, great performance. imo

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Sumitomo HTR Z3. Had them on my 06 and the wear was fine after 15k (got wrecked so I couldn't wear them down) and I just put a set on my 08 2 weeks ago. Read the reviews on the then on Tire rack. Porche owners have been refering to them as 95% of the handling of the Michelin PS2 for 1/2 the price. Tread wear is 300 compared to the OEM stones that are a 140. On a tire rack test the HTR Z3 out performed the RE050.

STONER-X

Reaction score
it is hard to understand what you want in a tire from person to person.....
if you only got 15k out of the stockers than it seems that you have a bit of a heavy foot :biggrin: i took my truck to the track three times on my stock tires and drove the truck pretty hard and got 25k.... i moved to a Nitto 555 street tire and love them.. the #'s are a tad higher than the stock tires so i think i may get a few more miles out of them..

here are some links on tire info read over and see what you may be the best tire for what you are looking for...
you can call any tire a performance tire BUT will it peform for you?
it is best to understand the "tread ware, traction, speed ratings, and temperature grades"
hope this helps you on your quest.. :rock:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2080257_interpret-car-tire-ratings.html

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/43860/article.html

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_wear.htm

rich017

Reaction score
Only reason stocks tire do not last long is the factory goes with the lowest bidder on the best tire they can get. They go with soft tires because they feel better when your driving, down side is they don't last that long.

I highly disagree with that statement. A low tread wear tire will handle better. A higher tread wear tire will last much long and not handle near as good. That's why low tread wear tires are so damn expensive. Our stock tires are arond $280 a piece, so you are telling me that was their cheapest option?? I think not.

I guess many new cars come with Michelin's now because they are cheap:stupid:

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
I like the Michelin pilot sport a/s...but can't afford them. Plus they had a 45k mile warranty. They were also twice as much as the hankooks.

STONER-X

Reaction score
I highly disagree with that statement. A low tread wear tire will handle better. A higher tread wear tire will last much long and not handle near as good. That's why low tread wear tires are so damn expensive. Our stock tires are arond $280 a piece, so you are telling me that was their cheapest option?? I think not.

I guess many new cars come with Michelin's now because they are cheap:stupid:

yep, you got it the chong-che-yang-he-moosaubiy lost that bet at $15 a pop....

LilRed

Reaction score
awesome thanks for some of the advice.

I understand that I did buy a performance truck... and I do understand that it's going to be expensive to get tire that will handle the x's performance. I guess that I was really looking for some of the longer lasting tires that will still keep the performance. I think that I will go with the BF goodrich's they look to last. with pretty good performance. I really just want to find a good balance. And my driving is pretty conservative with the occational green light to the floor race with the POS base mustang.. haha. With the stock tire that I have on the truck now is the origanal tire from the dealer, and they have lasted me 38K!! so yes I am conservative with the tires.
oh and from what I understand the tread wear number doesn't mean sh!t from one brand to the other. mainly a good comparision from that particular brand. 680 tread wear from general doesn't mean that they will out last 400 tread wear from BF!! LOL

any other suggestions on tire's?
anybody have good tread life with the KDW II from BF?

rich017

Reaction score
I have a set of Toyo Proxes STII's. I ordered the online for 123 a piece. The tread wear is 420 and I think they handle very well for what they are. I corner really hard and the tires allow me to do that. IMO, they handle better than the stock tires. The KDW 2;s were my favorite though. Those had awesome traction but only lasted me 16K. I have more than that on these Toyo's so far with tons of tread left

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I have a set of Toyo Proxes STII's. I ordered the online for 123 a piece. The tread wear is 420 and I think they handle very well for what they are. I corner really hard and the tires allow me to do that. IMO, they handle better than the stock tires. The KDW 2;s were my favorite though. Those had awesome traction but only lasted me 16K. I have more than that on these Toyo's so far with tons of tread left

There gone....that what i was running, they are now on st4's.....cost more too:thumpdown:

BTW, im happy when i got 7 k out of my tires....:biggrin:

rich017

Reaction score
There gone....that what i was running, they are now on st4's.....cost more too:thumpdown:

Damn, what do you do drift everywhere?

STONER-X

Reaction score

lol... when i had my 00 sentra i put rims on it (all show no go) the tire guy brought out a BEAUTIFUL tire..... i asked him what type of mileage could i expect?... the manager over heard my question and immediately answered if you get 11 to 13k you did great!... it was a z rated tire on a car that topped out at a hard to get to 107.... so that speed rating was out of the question.. lol.. i had to order a yokohama that had a 60k mile expectancy... i sold the car after 35-40k with the same tires on it..... with the stock wheels and tires i got about 60k out of the michelins.....

08x

Reaction score
the tread wear number if i rember correct from school is only for that brand of tires such as michelin or bfg and you cant compare one to another. dont hold me to this but i think that is how it was taught

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Damn, what do you do drift everywhere?

Racing series, god awful roads, welded differential, and many empty parking lots...And my inability to make rational decisions...Considering what they went through, i can't complain...

Hey, i got about 8 months out om my tires...considering most of my buddies cars, with perfect fitment (alot negative camber)...get about 2 months out of there tires, im happy. Then again, mine are 200 a piece, they pay 300 for all 4!!!:laugh:

LilRed

Reaction score
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus vs. BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S

what do you think? Price is about the same but the Michelin's are 45K mile warranty.

Top Bottom