Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

loud motor tick

nine9six

Reaction score
It's a brand of motor oil. Search for it on here. There are countless threads.

Post a vid if you get a chance, I'd like to hear it.

Mine quieted down a lot when I changed my oil, but I'm due for it again. I drive EVERYWHERE.

LOW AND BLOWN

Reaction score
Mine is loud too, I went through drive through today and thought I was going to have to turn the truck off in order to here:thumpdown:

X-roller

Reaction score
Grab a screwdriver and set it on the valve covers and put your ear on the end of the handle. It's a mechanics stethoscope. :top: See if you can locate the tick that way. I am pretty sure it's a tick coming from the valves. If it has became progressively worse I would recommend a valve adjustment...

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
Type to get a new set of heads.That thing is FU%$ed

MisterSkaTuba

Reaction score
i'm about to take mine up to the stealership to get that tick checked out. i'm still under warranty, so might as well right! i just hope they can quite down the motor. except for that sexy rumble of course.... :)

07XRsteve

Reaction score
i'm about to take mine up to the stealership to get that tick checked out. i'm still under warranty, so might as well right! i just hope they can quite down the motor. except for that sexy rumble of course.... :)
they will just tell you that it is normal so i wouldnt even do it (been there done that)

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
could be a bad seal on the header gaskets or what everyone else is saying. tighten up your header nuts and see if that helps. then change oil to full syn. then get a valve adjustment.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
could be a bad seal on the header gaskets or what everyone else is saying. tighten up your header nuts and see if that helps. then change oil to full syn. then get a valve adjustment.

Speaking of that, SC426Hemi came down a few weekends ago. Started talking about headers. Said he had recently installed the JBA's. I asked how he liked them. Said that he lost his low end and he has a ticking noise. We looked under the hood and tightened the header nuts.

No more "tick" and pick up plenty of power.

I say to check the header to y-pipe gaskets and if the are leaking at that flange while idling, then check the header nuts. Two most common points of exhaust leaks.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Mine is totally quiet when it is cold. After it warms up i have a slight tick. I use Mobil 1 and stock filter, but am switching to AMSoil next change. It is annoying, but not as noticeable with my current exhaust.:top:

It got me to thinking ive heard about this stuff somewhere. Check this out and maybe it will help someone.

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=2273

IndyXRunner25

Reaction score
Anyone run Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in their trucks? I just want to make sure no one has had any issues with their products.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Anyone run Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in their trucks? I just want to make sure no one has had any issues with their products.

I do...:top: I have been from the very 1st oil change...ever 3K i change it as well...force of habit...no problems for me...

mbray

Reaction score
I tried looking around for this tick, check the solenoid on the drivers side near the engine cover. :p Feel it!!! Thing is about to explode! lol

IndyXRunner25

Reaction score
You change your Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles? Does it look as clean as it does when you pour it out of the bottle? I ran a test one time with Mobil 1 on my 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP supercharged 3.8 Liter v6 and sent samples back to Mobil 1 at 3,000, 5,000, 10,000 and 13,000. I ended up 13,000 miles before they said the oil was finally ready to be changed.

Top Bottom