Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Loud Tapping noise

08blrunner

Reaction score
Newbie here guys i just purchased an 2008 xrunner with 47,000 mile on it and it seems when i am accelerating i hear a loud tapping ticking noise with windows open or closed the noise can be heard. any suggestions would help.

RRCanuck

Reaction score
It could be a heat shield on one of the cats that has come loose or there could also be stones inside of it causing the rattle. Have you heard it while idling?

I just read your other thread where you mentioned that your engine is pretty loud. Every tacoma Ive seen has the infamous taco tick which can especially be heard while driving beside another car and also when accelerating next to a curb/wall. You should still look into it though and do any maintenance that may be needed but I would just meet up with another member and see if theirs sounds the same...

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Open the hood and start the engine. See if you can pin point the noise.

If you have not yet, change the oil. It might be an exhaust tick, or it might be something else. We need more information.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
More info is needed man, video would be best

xrgilly

Reaction score
could be the damn toyota tick that all of them have

nick_gz1

Reaction score
What kinda aftermarket parts you got, it might involve that?

triumphx

Reaction score
I'd guess exhaust leak, look over all the exhaust to see if theres any black soot at any flanges which would explain why its louder under acceleration

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Might be ur Pcv valve,mine went bad n it sounded lke a bolt was rattlen around in my headers lke a really bad tapping sound

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it coming from one side of the truck versus another, or is the noise directly from the center of the engine bay?

08blrunner

Reaction score
It seems like when it's under load I would say center but I can't really tell

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
Try to record a video maybe you can catch if its loud enough.

08blrunner

Reaction score
Ill try to record it when I get it back from toyota. Had the clutch and throw out bearing replaced because it was chirping

Top Bottom