Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lowering Leaf Spring Options

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been researching endlessly for a lowering leaf spring option on the rear of our trucks but no luck. I don't want go with lowering blocks as I feel they wont be beneficial for my application. I have seen Xs' here that installed the 4x4 TSB (4 pack) leaf springs from the 2nd gen Tacomas. The 4 pack leaf springs showed a slight drop that ranges from 0.25" to 1.5" without use of blocks or need of notching the rear frame.
My main question to all is:
Are we able to use the 3rd gen 4x4 (4 pack) or 2nd gen TRD off road (6 pack) leaf springs to drop the rear of our X runners? Tacoma world shows that 3rd gen leaf springs bolt up to our 2nd gen trucks.

Part numbers I have came across are were:
LH: 48220-04242, 48220-04240, 48220-04241, 48220-04351
RH: 48210-04602, 48210-04600, 48210-04601, 48210-04711

1688843119747.png

1688843172888.png

Your input would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Superloki24

Reaction score
I've been running the 2nd Gen 4 pack leafs for over 7 years now. I really like them. I had blocks in the back and it just rode like crap with them.

It would be interesting to see if the 6 pack TRD Off-Roads work. I don't see why they wouldn't since our axles are mounted on top of the leafs. You might be able to find some used ones real cheap that are basically new. A lot of people will swap them out right after buying the truck for some heavy duty ones.

What ever you do, let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
I've been running the 2nd Gen 4 pack leafs for over 7 years now. I really like them. I had blocks in the back and it just rode like crap with them.

It would be interesting to see if the 6 pack TRD Off-Roads work. I don't see why they wouldn't since our axles are mounted on top of the leafs. You might be able to find some used ones real cheap that are basically new. A lot of people will swap them out right after buying the truck for some heavy duty ones.

What ever you do, let us know how it goes.
Thanks Super for the insight.
Update:
I picked up a set of 4 pack leafs last weekend and will put them on sometime this month if time allows. The leafs came off a 2020 4x4 3rd gen tacoma. Will post leaf part numbers to give some clarity. Contemplated the 6 pack leaf, mainly due to risking a $200 lost vs $80 lost.
Will keep yall updated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just keeping you all posted on the leaf pack.
Numbers for leaf pack that I picked up from the 2020 4x4 taco are:
#48210-04711
#48220- 04351
20230713_194945.jpg
20230713_194955.jpg

1689737126691.png

1689737178451.png

Hawaiis Ribbon X

Reaction score
Dude, crossing my fingers in hopes that the end result will be an awesome one.

Reaction score
Hi All,
Install was complete this past Saturday and gave it a day for leafs to settle. Unfortunately, the drop wasn't that significant.
Before:
Driver rear- 31-3/8"
Passenger rear- 31-1/8"

After:
Before:
Driver rear- 31-3/16"
Passenger rear- 31-1/16"

The drop was about an eighth of a inch. There was quite a difference in the 3 pack and 4 pack leafs visually when put side by side but didn't achieve the drop I was hoping for. Other factors that I thought that might affect the drop was the traction bar needed to be adjusted or sway bars having it the stiffest setting. Not entirely sure. I will post pictures on the results but nothing significant.

Reaction score
This was not a bad test for $80 and an hour of work. A plus is the truck does not dip hard at high speeds as it did with the 3 pack and the rear feels more stabled at tight turns.
Now the the install was done. Does anyone have recommendations on other options to lower the rear of the truck? Has anyone done a shackle flip or arching of leafs? I am considering 1" blocks since I have a traction bar to combat axle wrap.
Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

gearhead899

Reaction score
This was not a bad test for $80 and an hour of work. A plus is the truck does not dip hard at high speeds as it did with the 3 pack and the rear feels more stabled at tight turns.
Now the the install was done. Does anyone have recommendations on other options to lower the rear of the truck? Has anyone done a shackle flip or arching of leafs? I am considering 1" blocks since I have a traction bar to combat axle wrap.

Thanks.
If you want a little more drop, i would just suggest doing a block. Should probly install a low profile bump stop too if you do.

Reaction score
If you want a little more drop, i would just suggest doing a block. Should probly install a low profile bump stop too if you do.
Hi Gearhead,

Appreciate the pointers. Any suggestions on which blocks, bump stops, and rear shocks. Have been looking at steel vs alum blocks and not sure on which shocks majority of us would run. Viking? QA1a?

gearhead899

Reaction score
Hi Gearhead,

Appreciate the pointers. Any suggestions on which blocks, bump stops, and rear shocks. Have been looking at steel vs alum blocks and not sure on which shocks majority of us would run. Viking? QA1a?
As far as blocks, not sure if i remember seeing any 1" blocks but you could get a 2" aluminum block and have it cut down. Energy suspension makes bump stops. I have qa1 shocks on both of my trucks. The vikings are probably a little bit nicer if you plan to do some racing since you have more adjustment.

Reaction score
As far as blocks, not sure if i remember seeing any 1" blocks but you could get a 2" aluminum block and have it cut down. Energy suspension makes bump stops. I have qa1 shocks on both of my trucks. The vikings are probably a little bit nicer if you plan to do some racing since you have more adjustment.
@gearhead899 I see. Can you share the model number on your qa1s if you have them brother. Might just get some 2" blocks. Debating 3" but believe I might have to notch which I would not want.

@Hawaiis Ribbon X how do you like those 2.5 inch blocks from pro comp? Any issues or bottoming out? In addition, please share the model number and the u bolt kit you used for your X.

Thanks

gearhead899

Reaction score
@gearhead899 I see. Can you share the model number on your qa1s if you have them brother. Might just get some 2" blocks. Debating 3" but believe I might have to notch which I would not want.

@Hawaiis Ribbon X how do you like those 2.5 inch blocks from pro comp? Any issues or bottoming out? In addition, please share the model number and the u bolt kit you used for your X.

Thanks
Ts703 is the qa1 part number. You can usually find them on amazon. Will show its made to fit a 1st gen camaro/firebird. And yeah, 3" blocks require a notch. You will have some guys say they have done it without a notch but its not worth it. You would have almost 0 suspension travel before hitting the bump stop

Reaction score
Ts703 is the qa1 part number. You can usually find them on amazon. Will show its made to fit a 1st gen camaro/firebird. And yeah, 3" blocks require a notch. You will have some guys say they have done it without a notch but its not worth it. You would have almost 0 suspension travel before hitting the bump stop
Your think a 2.5" block would be cutting it close for comfort and bottoming out? Or just play it safe and go the 2" block route.

gearhead899

Reaction score
Your think a 2.5" block would be cutting it close for comfort and bottoming out? Or just play it safe and go the 2" block route.
Yeah I think it would. Especially if you plan to carry any weight in the bed. Best to play it safe and just use a 2" block unless you feel like notching it. What are you doing for lowering in the front?

Reaction score
Yeah I think it would. Especially if you plan to carry any weight in the bed. Best to play it safe and just use a 2" block unless you feel like notching it. What are you doing for lowering in the front
Understood, will look into 2" blocks. Any recommendations on which company to source them from?
I want to go the coilover route but only see Strictly Street and feal suspension as our only options. Have you had any experience with them or heard any good things out of them?

gearhead899

Reaction score
Understood, will look into 2" blocks. Any recommendations on which company to source them from?
I want to go the coilover route but only see Strictly Street and feal suspension as our only options. Have you had any experience with them or heard any good things out of them?
Iv used the sos performance blocks before without any issues. But for the most part, a block is a block. And I would go strictly street on the coilover mostly because its supporting another X-Runner owners business

Hawaiis Ribbon X

Reaction score

Thanks.
Dang, sorry to hear the unsatisfied outcome. Appreciate you letting us know for future reference. I personally have the Xii Performance "Sittin sic" drop springs on my truck. They have been discontinued for quite a while but every now and then I see fellow members post a pair up for sale. Especially on the Xrunner Owners Official Facebook group. There is a lot more activity on there.

So with my setup, Xii springs in the front gets you at about 1.75-2" of drop. I started off with a 2" block with oem shocks and low pro bump stops in the rear. Didn't like the slight rake visually, so I installed 2.5" angled blocks and QA1 adjustable rear shocks. I rarely bottom out with this setup unless road conditions are horrible, deep potholes, large dips, etc. HOWEVER, if you do run a 2.5" block with stock rear shocks you will bottom out more than if you had aftermarket adjustable shocks. Pics of my truck attached.

All in all I consider it a good sporty/daily driven stance.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg
    thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 78
  • thumbnail_IMG_7694.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7694.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Top Bottom