Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Method Race Wheel - Roost: redrill to fit?

Tom2769

Reaction score
Hello all, trying to decide on the right wheels for my X. Can't go wrong with Vorrstoen 2.2.2, but I'd really prefer something a bit different. I'm digging the looks of some of the off-road wheels out there, but they are not available in our bolt pattern. My first choice would be the Method Race Wheels - Roost wheel in this pic. They have 5x114.3, but only in their 17x8.5 +0 size wheel. They offer 18x9 and 20x9 inch wheels, each in +18 offset but the closest bolt pattern is 5x150, and then they offer them in a few 6 bolt patterns. I've already asked Method,and they don;t offer custom patterns.

I considered the 17" wheel with meatier tires, but just don't think it would look right with the body kit on the X.

I've never used adapters, and those seem sketchy, so that leaves re-drilling another bolt pattern to 5x114.3. That sounds kinda sketchy as well, but maybe less so if done right (?). Anyone have experience with adapters or re-drilling? Or know of more of a rally/off-road looking wheel like the Roost that will work on an X?

Tom2769

Reaction score

Attachments

• MethodRaceWheel - Roost.jpg
    MethodRaceWheel - Roost.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty cool looking. Any idea on weight?

I run a 20x9.5 +19.

darthyota

Reaction score
method has told me in the past that redrilling will void any wheel warranty on their wheels

Tom2769

Reaction score
Tor, not sure on weight, but this is part of their advertisement: "While maintaining all necessary structural integrity, we’ve been able to strategically shed unwanted weight bringing you a truck wheel that means business". But no actual weights advertised so... :dontknow:. They have 20x9 +0 in 6 lug. That would be a mighty aggressive offset. I didn't notice until just now that you are actually a 6-lugger - lots of great wheel options out there for that bolt pattern.

Thanks Darth, I don't know enough about re-drilling wheels to take that risk without hearing some success stories.

darthyota

Reaction score
Its not uñheard of but needs to be done by a reputable machinist

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tor, not sure on weight, but this is part of their advertisement: "While maintaining all necessary structural integrity, we’ve been able to strategically shed unwanted weight bringing you a truck wheel that means business". But no actual weights advertised so... :dontknow:. They have 20x9 +0 in 6 lug. That would be a mighty aggressive offset. I didn't notice until just now that you are actually a 6-lugger - lots of great wheel options out there for that bolt pattern.

Thanks Darth, I don't know enough about re-drilling wheels to take that risk without hearing some success stories.

They offer it in that 5 lug pattern. Very strange that they won't be able to use any of the bolt patterns on the larger wheels. Unless they are outsourced wheels?

LifeAlert

Reaction score
if it was me, I would use adapters. Re-drilling on wheels just sounds like to many variables to go wrong in my head. Also it leaves you with a better chance of resale down the road if you need to get rid of them.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
IMO: Do not redrill. Not worth it, nor would I run adapters. Choose different wheels that you like, just find some that you like the look of and powdercoat them any color you want if need be, or plastidip.

Professionally they can be re-drilled depending on the pre and post patterns and as someone else stated, it absolutely needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. You might even want to locate a machinist before purchasing wheels and ask them which pattern would be best to purchase for redrill.

Tom2769

Reaction score
Yeah, I think different wheels are probably the way to go. Too bad, I think these would look great on an x. They must outsource their wheels, Tor. I emailed them about the possibility of getting 18s or 20s make in the 5x114.3 pattern (or having them custom drilled) and they replied that this was not possible because they "did not bring those wheels in as blanks". Sounds outsourced to me.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Tom2769,
We are looking for OEM / stock wheels so we will buy your OEM/ stock wheels and we are local, PM sent.

AZ

Top Bottom