Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mothers 3 Step System vs Meguiars 3 Step System

music_man185

Reaction score
anyone familiar with either of these brands probably knows that they each have their own 3 step system.

Meguiars:
1. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
2. Deep Crystal Polish
3. Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax

Mothers:
1. Pre Wax Cleaner
2. Sealer and Glaze
3. Carnauba Wax

i'm sure for the most part, these 2 brands will be extremely similar. i already have a box of meguiars nxt liquid wax as well as some s100. i also have a little bit of meguiars polish left. i dont have any pre wax cleaner, so i'm wondering which one is better for that. and i would also like to know the difference between meguiars polish, and mothers sealer and glaze. mothers website says that the sealer and glaze is used after a polish. yet they dont list a polish in their system. is their cleaner also considered a polish?

if i wash and clay bar and then do one of these 3 step systems (but with nxt liquid wax and s100 instead of the carnauba's listed), will i be missing anything? i have some pretty bad water spots and some very light swirling that i hope the cleaner will take car of.

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
I suggest getting this also. It really makes all the difference in the world. I have been detailing cars on the side for 3 years now and I have had some BAD vehicles and I love my polisher.

I always have luck removing swirls and light oxidation just by doing a clay bar and using synthetic wax with the Hi-speed polisher.

Here is a hummer I did a few months ago. It was an 05 and has ever been washed or waxed and had been driven by a college chick. The paint was starting to get this white haze to it. As you can see it looks better than new....
20238_1309100009086_1278169057_914496_1917647_n.jpg

photo.php

20238_1309100089088_1278169057_914498_5053712_n.jpg

Last edited:

music_man185

Reaction score
that looks very good! i wish our tacomas didn't have all of that metal flake in it. i think it keeps it from getting that deep mirror finish like that.

the problem that i have is that i dont have a polisher. so everything i do is by hand. :thumpdown:

rich017

Reaction score
sorry forgot to post the link.

$170 and it also comes with all the pads you would need to use polishes, wax etc...

Or you can just spend $124 and get the same polisher with no pads and then just spend an extra $15 for a final finishing pad (used with wax)

Amarillo X

Reaction score
Ok the difference is the Mothers is intended to seal a polish in that you have already applied. The Meguiars on the other hand has polish included as one of it's steps. I've seen Meguiars used in bodyshops and around custom circles for years. Mothers I have not. I'd go with the first...

Let me add there are three steps to properly care for paint.
1. Polish
2. Sealer or Glaze
3. Wax
Hope this helps...

Last edited:

music_man185

Reaction score
thanks for clearing that up. i can't find a polish on mother's website and i can't find a sealer/glaze on meguiar's website. so i guess i have to use one from each brand?

music_man185

Reaction score
well, i just drove an hour round trip to buy some pre wax cleaner and sealer/glaze. i couldn't find either of them anywhere. i went to autozone, advanced auto, o'reilly's and walmart. where can i find this stuff?

rich017

Reaction score
I know for a fact that autozone and Pep Boys has the 3 step system. At least every one I have been in has.

Honestly, I say screw the 3 step process. Clay bar the truck (that alone eliminates the need for a "cleaner wax") and then get your self some Meguiars Next Gen 2.0 synthetic wax and you will get the same results if not better. That's what I do on EVERY vehicle I detail except with a Hi-speed which I highly suggest you get. For $124 it really makes all the difference in the world. I will not detail a car without using that it the clay bar. Make sure you clay bar the truck. It's pointless to wax a vehicle if it needs to be clay bared. I do mine 2-3 times a year and wax around 6 times a year

5000XD

Reaction score
Wow, that's some bad ass reflection in the first picture! I like it.

Emanon

Reaction score
Look up auto paint shops in your area they usually have a good selection of detailing cemicals. I agree that claying is critical to a nice shine and feel. On occasion I'll cheat and wash & rinse the truck then using a new bucket of soapy water I'll soap down an area then clay. The soapy water lubricates the surface for the clay and I find it a quicker way to clay.

jbjones85

Reaction score
claying makes a huge difference in both feel and look of the paint.

Amarillo X

Reaction score
Truthfully I buff with a light 3m compound and then SLOW with a grey foam pad and 3m finishing glaze. This stuff is bodyshop grade and pretty expensive but my paint kicks ass even when it's dirty. And of course I seal it in with meguiars nxt 2.0 wax when I'm done.

Top Bottom