Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mounting ballasts

mRESPECTe

Reaction score
For those of u with hid fogs..where are you mounting the ballasts and what are you mounting it with?
i really dont wanna drill anything if i dont have to. some good adhesive would be nice.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Logan

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
The best adhesive tape on the market for this job (that HVM highly recommends) is 3M Exterior Mounting Tape.

This tape can be had at most local small & major hardware stores.

It will hold up to a lot of temperature & weather variations while keeping some pretty heavy objects in place (rated for up to 5 lbs).

As with any tape/adhesive though - surface preparation is key.

Clean and Dry the mating surfaces very well (rubbing alcohol is a good choice for mildly dirty surfaces as it cleans very well and evaporates away quickly with no residue) & do not touch again.

If its cold out (below 65*F) heat the mating surfaces up with a hair dryer or heatgun (About 90 - 100*F is perfect) after cleaning but before applying.

Dont just stick it on and walk away either. Applying reasonable firm pressure to the ballast for about a minute (or as long as you can hold it) will insure the tape bonds well to its full strength potential.

It is a good idea to use safety wire or a Ziptie as backup in the event the tape does let go.

This tape also has a very nice foam base aiding in vibration dampening which is very beneficial for mounting electronics (such as ballasts).

Last edited:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I am a firm believer of a self tapping screw in the aluminum bumper support.....If you have a drill, a tip and .99 cents worth of screws, you will never have to worry about your adhesive failing. :top:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
That 3M tape holds ballasts upside down on motorcycle body work which transmits HUGE shock & vibration loads, its very good stuff when applied correctly.

It is a bitch to get off too when its applied, don't apply it to a delicate surface that you may want to remove the object from.

The foam tapes really cut down on electronic murdering vibrations.

Metal on Metal wears down both surfaces (like paint in the engine bay), transmits shock, and can introduce ground loop noise.

Last edited:

xr_sky1ine3

Reaction score
there are some screw holes that i used in above the fog light and i used the screws that came with the kit to mount it.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
mine are mounted on the sides of the engine on the interior body. near battery on one side....etc.

Amarillo X

Reaction score
Mine are just laying on a flat surface in the engine compartment...but I just finished wiring them up!!!!:biggrin:

mRESPECTe

Reaction score
i bought them from justin's "goin back to stock sale" so they didnt come with any mounts so i think i will just use some of that 3m tape and some zip ties. thanks for the suggestions guys.

Logan

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Another option that I don't see mentioned (I got the Idea from tacomaworld) is to use industrial strength velcro from Home Depot. I used it when installing my headlight hids and so far though the Canadian winter its holding up well, but as was said surface prep is key.

rich017

Reaction score
zip ties and along the aluminum cross member for the fog's ballast. Just in the enhine bay for the headlight ballast.

mRESPECTe

Reaction score
Just finished installing them. Used the 3m tape and zip ties. So far so good and they look great, can't wait to drive at night.

muzzyfsu

Reaction score
This is where I mounted mine, there is a stock bolt there along with a washer, they are painted stock color.
IMG_0979.jpg

THE MACF

Reaction score
I got one zip-tied to my washer fluid reservoir, another hanging off the battery tie-down, and the fogs are zip tied to the bumper.

shaX 07

Reaction score
I would stay away from tape/adhesives if I were you. I'm sure others have used them but I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing my Ballasts were taped to my truck.

Both NHXRUNNER and myself have our HID Ballasts clamped to our front bumper brackets via hose clamps... They are extremely secure and though a front collision would likely wreck them, I suppose there aren't too many places you could really put them and have them survive a frent end collision...

mRESPECTe

Reaction score
I would stay away from tape/adhesives if I were you. I'm sure others have used them but I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing my Ballasts were taped to my truck.

Both NHXRUNNER and myself have our HID Ballasts clamped to our front bumper brackets via hose clamps... They are extremely secure and though a front collision would likely wreck them, I suppose there aren't too many places you could really put them and have them survive a frent end collision...

very true..i thought about using a 6" hose clamp about 5 min before i finished up. i was tired of bein out in the 10 degree weather so i said screw it, if it becomes a problem ill change it.

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
i used the 3m double sided tape that is included in the HVM kits, and have had no issues at all. both of my ballasts are hidden away in the fenders, one behind the battery, and one behind the windshield wiper reservoir.

wqrdrd.jpg

2nusuog.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom