Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MT-90 - 1 month later

xmoney

Reaction score
It's been nearly a month since i changed my tranny fluid to the redline product. The only noticable difference is i can change gears as fast as i want to. I have noticed though, that high reving gear changes into second still wants to grind some. None the less, it still goes in gear with very little delay.

Even with a little grind it's unacceptable to me... I may yet take my truck in to have the tranny looked at.

Your Story? Thoughts?

lawlessjr

Reaction score
I did mine about 6 months ago, when its cold well kinda cool "under 60 degrees," I am experianceing the same thing except mine grinds in third unless i ease it in there "don't even think of power shifting, grind city" so im planning to go to 75w-90 and see if that helps, so I know you just did it but it might be something to consider.
After taking a quick look at the manual it does say to use 75-90 oh well.

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
If you're not happy about it, and you can duplicate the problem relatively easily, then take it in.:top:

RONE

Reaction score
If you've got a warranty, let the dealer mess with it!

Matt's06

Reaction score
I just added limited slip additive to my mt-90. I no longer get the grind going into 5th above 5k rpm.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Same results here... we should take our trucks in at the sametime.

xmoney

Reaction score
lol i just need a second car to drive...

X-Runner_R1

Reaction score
Tranny Fluid Change

hey guys, i changed mine out with some 75W-90 and it now grinds going into 3rd only. So im not so sure that it might not need some kind of additive added to the 75W-90, altough it doesn't say anything in the manual.

STONER-X

Reaction score
how many miles are yall getting these "grinds" at? i have 12000 on mine and no complains....

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
It's been nearly a month since i changed my tranny fluid to the redline product. The only noticable difference is i can change gears as fast as i want to. I have noticed though, that high reving gear changes into second still wants to grind some. None the less, it still goes in gear with very little delay.

Even with a little grind it's unacceptable to me... I may yet take my truck in to have the tranny looked at.

Your Story? Thoughts?

That is just second gear. All of the transmissions have this problem, it is just others experience more so than some. If you practice with shifting into second at the high RPMs, you won't have that problem. It took me awhile, and I still do it sometimes, but not at all like I used to.

hey guys, i changed mine out with some 75W-90 and it now grinds going into 3rd only. So im not so sure that it might not need some kind of additive added to the 75W-90, altough it doesn't say anything in the manual.

Nothing else needs to be added. Do you experience the grind in lower or higher RPMS only, or both respectively?

Last edited:

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
mine only grinds going into 3rd and sometimes fourth, so i skip third alltogether! the dealership told me i needed change one part, took 3 months to get it in, at the end the three months i was 500 miles over my warrenty then they told me i need pay 3,500 and just get new tranny

Vince77

Reaction score
Fortunately for me I've had no grinding before or after the MT-90, with 35,xxx miles.
But it did help smooth out the gear engagement. I'd take it in to have it looked at.

05Xrunner

Reaction score
i put MT-90 in my tranny and 75w-90 with LSD additive in the rear end of my truck at around 1200 miles. almost 4years later and 15k on the ticker I never really have any grind unless its my fault of being to slow with the clutch or going to fast before my shift is complete.

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
Mine used to grind going into 2nd but I learned how to drive stick better so i just shove it into 2nd.

At those high RPM's and shifting fast you sometimes tend to let off the clutch a little before it's even in gear

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I grind 4th to 5th every time over 5k rpms....easy clutch, easy shift, fast, slow, you name it, I can do it...It bothers me, but Ive had it before the urd shifter, so I will try the mt-90 with a hint of lsd additive and see how it holds. :top:

NixXR462

Reaction score
I grind 4th to 5th every time over 5k rpms....easy clutch, easy shift, fast, slow, you name it, I can do it...It bothers me, but Ive had it before the urd shifter, so I will try the mt-90 with a hint of lsd additive and see how it holds. :top:
me and nick (x'ed) both had that problem he tried using mt-90 still didn't help. We took them both to Toyota same week its was the synchronizers in both trucks. So if you got warranty you need to take it up there. Mine shifts like its suppose to now.

46&2_X

Reaction score

Your Story? Thoughts?

Why do people want to throw chemicals at a mechanical problem....

If your tranny is grinding something is not aligned properly, or perhaps one of the parts were machined slighlty off.

Even if Chemcials fix the problem it's only temp. fix. Those parts that were grinding before, are most likely still grinding and eventually it will catch up to you.

You know what they say, out of sight out of mind :laugh:.

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
dont forget this post is a year and a half old. This method of a "fix" has been a great solution for many members on here who were having this issue. Although of course there are always other who have a more severe problem, like I did, and I ended up losing my trans, and got a new one last week.

Top Bottom