Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My other hobby

caymanxrunner

Reaction score
I got a 29 biocube, I love the maintenance free setup...no lr but I caught all my fish myself...

blu xr

Reaction score
ive had a freshwater for years. quite after i moved 5 years ago & recently a friend sold me his 55gal w/ stand & all equip for $100. been really diggin it again. got real plants & eels for the first time. ive always wanted a salt water after i discovered scuba diving...i just dont feel comfortable after reading all the requirements. id hate to invest that kind of money just to lose them...

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I got a 29 biocube, I love the maintenance free setup...no lr but I caught all my fish myself...

I just picked up a 29g biocube myself. Traded off some corals for it. I'm going to set it up for my picasso clowns that I picked up last weekend. :top:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
anyone want a blue spiny lobster? Its getting a little to big for me

2011-08-14115735.jpg

ultraxr

Reaction score
wow. that antenna spread is huge. What size tank was it in?

dramad1

Reaction score
I used to have a purple lobster and my ocerlaris's ate em. He was around the same size. They bit his claws off some how and then had at him. My clowns are vicious.

ultraxr

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind taking it in but with the crazy weather... shipping is gonna suck. I'm sure some one nearby will scoop it up.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I love my fish store. I just PMed the owner asking about some lyretail anthias.

I got them ordered, they are in the ocean now, be here Tuesday.

now that's some nice service LOL.

MplsX

Reaction score
That's a very nice looking set up. I grew up with aquariums in the house. My mom was not amused when I would turn off the overhead lights and put a light to the side of the tank. That made the fish swim on their sides. Congratulations on the beautiful tank.

J

JDUB916

Well guys. The day has come. I did fresh water for 10 years off and on, more recently than my prior years, and then I switched to Salt when I got my aquarium from my friend almost 3 years ago. Although I enjoyed doing Salt water very much, My tank was an old one, old stand, and old equipment. The overflow hanging on the top is an old concept I dont like, the way my cabinet was designed wasnt optimal for lighting even though I upgraded my equipment, and although I threw lots of new equipment (MR1, Skimmer, etc) it seems like once I tried to start doing Coral my tank spun out of control. I could never keep any coral alive even though water quality was perfect across the board. Some species woudl be okay (Zoanths and mushrooms) where others just couldnt hang. I tried everything. Even with my MR1 and water changes I always had brown sand to battle. After buyting a goby that helped but her stirred things up so much it was a mess. Lately everything went to hell in a handbasket on a rocket ship and I got a spike of green hair algea, brown sand everywhere, and all my fish died instantly over night. It was very sad, I had those fish for a long time, and some my friend had for 5+ years before he gave it to me.

With all this going on, and recent stuff in my life, I just dont have the time (nor the $ due to the economy and my less paying job) to fight this. If I choose to do this in the future I want to invest in top notch equipment. That was also hard on me since I love everything to be new and high tech, and my tank was, well, simply old. So Monday night I threw my tank on Craigslist. Being that I got it all for free, and Ive really only invested in equipment and chemicals I wanted it to go to a good home and I sold it for $300. I had calls back to back. (I shoulda raised the price way high, but I want it to go soon as I only have 2 fish left out of 8). The guy is coming to pick it up on Friday.

On a positive note, my wife and I have been looking for a good deal on another Yorkie. We have a 7 year old Yorkie but we wanted another full bred AKC and we didnt want to get jacked, paying some crazy amount like $800+. The day after I sold my tank I found a guy selling a 4 month old Toy Yorkie Make for only $350. We drove up there last night (1 1/2 hours each way) and got him. What a steal, great coat, temperment, etc. We got his papers and everything so we are stoked. Its kinda weird having such a small dog, cuz I thought my Yorkie was little, but this Toy Yorkie is hella small. But hes super fun and I can tell hes gonna be a little shit and were gonna have a blast training him.

Here is my 7 year old, Wicket.
IMG_0259.jpg

And here is the new little guy, Chewie:
IMG_9372.png

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Been awhile, here is the newest full tank shot. Everything is stable, the corals are growing good, and the fish all seem to be happy.
Can't tell from the pic, but if I remember right there are 19 fish total in there.
005-3.jpg

J

JDUB916

^^^^^^ JEALOUS!!!!

I sold my tank in December. I had everything going perfect until I decided to add Coral, it was going well but then I got something bad when I bought my Goby and everything started dying. My tank design/cabinet wasnt made for salt, it was always adapted to work best with salt, but I was pouring $$$ into something I knew I could never achieve what my goal was with what means I had. It was a sad day to see it all go, but I got good $$ for it, went to a good home, and we got a new puppy to go with our older dog. Eventually I will get back into Salt Tanks again, but this time I wont be getting hand-me-down stuff, I will get new or close to new stuff and start off with a goal first and work towards it.

Thanks you all for your help during my 2 year fun of salt life! Keep up the good work, I always love seeing nice tank setups like you guys...

dramad1

Reaction score
Man that tank is niiiicccee. That monipora is blowing up. Loving it man. Keep up the good work. Makes me want to do mine all over. I've been neglecting mine since the aptasia outbreak

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Man that tank is niiiicccee. That monipora is blowing up. Loving it man. Keep up the good work. Makes me want to do mine all over. I've been neglecting mine since the aptasia outbreak

I didn't realize how much the montipora had grown until I looked back at the old pics. I'm going to have to start hacking it back when it gets a little bigger.
I've been pretty lucky with aptasia. I had a few of the little buggers in this tank, but I got on the eradication right away with some Joe's juice and a half dozen peppermint shrimp. I haven't seen anything for several months.
I've got a new shipment of corals coming in this week. So more rearranging to make room for the new additions.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to see some updates. Have you started an algae scrubber?

I wanna get a wrasse for a flatworm problem I am having. I am giving up on hard corals because I cant seem to provide what they need

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Glad to see some updates. Have you started an algae scrubber?

I wanna get a wrasse for a flatworm problem I am having. I am giving up on hard corals because I cant seem to provide what they need

No algae scrubber yet, but its still in the future plan. I'll eventually redo the whole sump, but I want to make damn sure I'm positive on the design before I go through that much work.

dramad1

Reaction score
What's up with your tanks fellas. I parted out my tank a while back and am missing it. I got the itch to maybe pick up a nano tank. Something easy to deal w/ and feed my want.

dramad1

Reaction score
Oops. Rims gonna have to wait a few more months. Just ordered me a nano tank. I wanted something small and simple. I got the bio cube hqi 29. Gonna get it set up for a mini reef, prob just sps. Can't wait.

Rez146

Reaction score
nice tanks on here.. i currently have a 90 gal reef tank with a 55 gal refugium

Top Bottom