Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need a good winter tire

gunner76137

Reaction score
My X is my DD and I need to figure out what tires will work good here in Tennessee for this winter.
I work @ ETSU and when it snows its mandatory for us to work.
We got about 7 in. of snow last year and I barely made it to work. I also live on top of a big hill.
I don't want anything to aggressive ,something I can leave on to run next summer.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Bridgestone Blizacks work great! Stick with a skinny tire!

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you don't have a bbk I would get 16's on steel rims that you can switch in and out. A true winter tire doesn't offer proper grip above 10 degrees C in the same that a summer tire looses traction below 7 degrees C.

Most winter tires can be run in the summer once they are past 40% wear but it's best just to have 2 sets that you can interchange.

If you don't want steelies you can get stock size blizzaks for your stock wheels, it will be a bit pricey though but I believe tire rack has them on sale for $700.

A good set of winters and a few bags of sand in the bed and your good to go

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
For dedicated snows you can go with Blizzaks or the tire I recently purchased.....Nokian Hakkapeliitta Rs. Fantastic tire. Think I like it even more than than the Blizzak.

But for what you're looking for I think you really need to look into the Nokian WR-G2. It's what they call an "all-weather plus". It's a half snow tire that's designed to be run all season. Sounds to me like that's exactly what you're looking for. Super cool looking tire.

wrg2_car_lg.jpg

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Now you're talking, Nokia, the best on the road. I run Toyo open country on 16" mags, don't drive much , but the are good.

darthyota

Reaction score
if you live on a hill and it gets icy i would go with something you can stud but then you won't want to run em in the summer, but like others have said its best to have dedicated winter and summer tires

hiflyer

Reaction score
go cheapest winter tire and then get it studded !

i have run blizzaks and there is no comparison :)

Braking Bad

Reaction score
I found some base model wheels from a junk yard and put studded fire stone winter force on them. I think it cost me around 550 total. Have had no problems with them. You might not want studded tires in Tennessee. See if there are restrictions on when you can drive with studded tires. And weight in the bed always helps.

Top Bottom