Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

need help pulling the trigger on headers

uglyryder

Reaction score
so im the kind of guy that when i want something ill either go out and get it or i talk my self out of it, and now i keep going back and forth with these JBA long tubes. my check engine light is on and its saying i have a bad o2 censor so if i get the LT's and the SIM it should remove the code right? also loosing the front cats is a plus... im just having a hard time justifying it. anyone care to chime in with the pros and cons of replacing the stock manifold... keep in mind this is my daily driver and i wont be doing a S/C but would like more power/sound and if i can get a few more MPG's i wouldnt mind.

i also have plans of replacing the muffler with a magnaflow in the near future.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a set of headers. IMO I'd go for the Doug Thorley LTs (if you were planning to get the ceramic coated JBAs) as the cost will be lower and they're a known commodity. If you're going the stainless steel route then you can save yourself quite a bit going with the JBAs. I've always wanted a set of headers and keep talking myself out of them because I know I'll need to do more exhaust work to tone them down. Where in your case you're planning on exhaust work anyway, snag these up and then chose your muffler after you've had a chance to hear the headers on the truck. :top:

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
If I were you since you already have the jba shorties with welded cats I would just gut those two front cats and save the money on the lt's and just buy the o2 sim. Ill be honest with ya, my first setup was jba shorties with gutted cats and I didn't have one issue with rasp but once and seemed like I had more bottom end than what I do with the lt's. Just my opinion. I kinda regret getting the lt's because of the rasp. Just me but keep those shorties and gut them and get the o2 sim ftw.

GL with your decision

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Where did he mention owning shorties already? Did I miss something? :dontknow:

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Lol, he didnt. I mis read what he wrote. I guess I had a blonde moment

Oh well it happens

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
The noise is an issue. The mid range torue gain is worth is. If you have a fault for a bad o2 sensor it will still be a problem that will need to be addressed.

Murderface

Reaction score
The O2 sim won't solve the issue of having a bad O2 sensor, u will need to replace it for the O2 sim to work correctly.

uglyryder

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help, one more question. What kind of positives and negatives can I expect from removing the front cats with LT? I've been told I'd get better MPG's but after doing some reading online I've seen where ppl say they got worse...

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
I got worse because I kept lead footing it. They have improved midrange torque. If you haul or tow anything it will be a welcome addition.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know about the new JBA, but the OLD thorleys dont sound that great alone. The only thing I have done is the DTLT, and I wish I had done new pipes too. (hoping to do the URD MK2 exhaust early next year)

Murderface

Reaction score
I dont know about the new JBA, but the OLD thorleys dont sound that great alone. The only thing I have done is the DTLT, and I wish I had done new pipes too. (hoping to do the URD MK2 exhaust early next year)

I had the chance this past weekend to hear the new version Doug Thorleys with a URD Y pipe and the new MKII catback and there's still a ton of rasp. With out a doubt a second muffler needs to be installed or maybe even a resinator of some kind to ditch the rasp we all love so much. Even with my current setup I still have rasp and that's with long tubes, stock Y pipe and the MKI catback with the Dynomax muffler. One of these days I'll add a resonator and maybe even a catless Y pipe.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
one of these days u are getting rid of the X:eviltongue:

but i dont think i would do the URD Y right now, so that should help keep it down:dontknow: its gotta be better then what it is now right?

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
I've got long tubes and factory y and catback and think it sounds fine imo.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
I ended up putting the original y pipe with cats back on my 06 the help with the rasp. I got an estimate from a local shop to do mandrel 3 inch pipes with 2 dynomax mufflers inline. If I do headers on the 08 I'm going to use the twin muffler set up. 15bucks more the the URD with 1 muffler. The shop owner has that setup on his Tundra and its sounds clean and fairly quite. No huge loss in flow with straight thru mufflers.

uglyryder

Reaction score
ChristDenied said:
The O2 sim won't solve the issue of having a bad O2 sensor, u will need to replace it for the O2 sim to work correctly.

Would I need the front, rear or both? It's giving the p0420 and p0430 codes... I assume both but just looking to confirm before I shell out the cash.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Those are catalytic converter faults, not the o2 sensor. If the cats are failing they should be under the extended emissions warranty. Not sure in your state but in Cali its 8/80. Check your mileage and check the coverage in your state. If covered do not clear the faults. Take it in to Toyota. Put the headers on later and have a new set as a back up if you want to sell it later.

uglyryder

Reaction score
I'm over 80k.. When I had it put on the computer he showed me that the sensors readings were all over the place instead of staying more consistent, and because of that he told me the sensors were bad not the cats.. Does that sound right to anyone?

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
I'm over 80k.. When I had it put on the computer he showed me that the sensors readings were all over the place instead of staying more consistent, and because of that he told me the sensors were bad not the cats.. Does that sound right to anyone?

When the cats are bad the rears will be all over the place. That's how the ecm reads there is a problem. The front sensors will read from constant rich lean rich lean and its normal. When the cats are good the rear sensors will read an even lean reading which means there cleaning the exhaust and doing there job. When bad the rear sensors will start to mimic the fronts. Find a new mechanic with emission system training next time. Just get the headers with the sims and you should be good to go.

uglyryder

Reaction score
when it was running the numbers where going from the 70's to as low as 2 on both sensors.. i just wanted to make sure ya know... thanks again for all the help.

Top Bottom