Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need Some Advice on an Intake

CaliCorks

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm going to be getting an intake for christmas and wanted some advice. I do not want to void my warrenty to start with. My truck is pretty much stock other than I have a flow master exhaust system with 3' pipe. What are my options, and is it going to be worth it? What brand is the best I can get? From what I've read, I think I have to go with a TRD intake, but are they good, or can I get better? Also, my boyfriend has a cold air intake in his car and whenever he washes his car, water gets inside the intake. Are cold air intakes the best way to go?? I do no want to harm my truck in any way. And, do I have to go threw the dealer?? Please help me with any ideas you might have, just keep in mind, I do no want to void my warrenty. Thanks in advance!

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
IMO a TRD intake with a MAF calibrator would be your best bet.

The TRD intake doesn't require you to cut sheet metal off your truck or cut into your factory MAF wires like the URD does... For the few extra HP you may get over the TRD intake with the URD. I dont think the modifications to your truck justify/make it worth it.

If you decide to get the TRD supercharger it looks sick with it also! But really you cant go wrong with any intake out there. The gains for every intake (unless its a very poorly designed one) will be relatively close to each other.

The TRD is definitely a great choice though.

Last edited:

Michigan X-Runner

Reaction score
TRD would be the choice of people who are concernd about warrentys.

URD, K&N and others are a good.

TRD had some pretty good gains.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Really any intake that doesn't require the modification of any wires/metal wont void the warranty. Just make sure you take it off if something happens lol.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Any of the above mentioned intakes will have the same result when it comes to the warranty. It won't touch the warranty unless it is the direct cause of the problem.

Keep in mind that the TRD, K&N, and URD are NOT CARB exempt (if that even matters).

URD comes highly recommended. Though the install is more tricky then the TRD, K&N, Volant intakes. As for performance gains, they are all about the same. The URD MAF calibrator will get the most power out of any CAI.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Even though they must "prove" it was the direct cause of the problem they can still be d!cks and hassle you. If they see a cut in the steel and some cut/soldered wires they are going to look into it WAY further for other things then if you just threw the stock intake back on.

Just my $0.02

CaliCorks

Reaction score
Any of the above mentioned intakes will have the same result when it comes to the warranty. It won't touch the warranty unless it is the direct cause of the problem.

Keep in mind that the TRD, K&N, and URD are NOT CARB exempt (if that even matters).

URD comes highly recommended. Though the install is more tricky then the TRD, K&N, Volant intakes. As for performance gains, they are all about the same. The URD MAF calibrator will get the most power out of any CAI.

What is a CARB? I'm new to everything..... :dontknow:

CaliCorks

Reaction score
I'm so confused. I've had positive answers for both URD and the TRD. What are the gain diffrences between the two. After reading about the URD, it seems to make a little more sence that it would be the better choice. Dose it or dose it not void my warrenty with the URD??

trd_sport

Reaction score
What is a CARB? I'm new to everything..... :dontknow:
California Air Resource Board
I'm so confused. I've had positive answers for both URD and the TRD. What are the gain diffrences between the two. After reading about the URD, it seems to make a little more sence that it would be the better choice. Dose it or dose it not void my warrenty with the URD??
Technically they could say it would void your warranty, but they would have to prove the part caused the problem.

HiTek21

Reaction score
CARB Is the California Air Resource Board, basically it must meet these standards to be street legal in california. Most intakes are not CARB certified only a select handful are.

If you were to get your truck smogged it would fail the visual inspection (not a big deal just swap it out when the time comes) and if you got pulled over they could fine you and even impound your vehicle (which is not very likely unless you're street racing or driving very wreckless giving the cops a reason to inspect your vehicle)

I would personally go for the TRD because it's easier to install and it looks awesome but thats just me.

trd_sport

Reaction score
CARB Is the California Air Resource Board, basically it must meet these standards to be street legal in california. Most intakes are not CARB certified only a select handful are.

If you were to get your truck smogged it would fail the visual inspection (not a big deal just swap it out when the time comes) and if you got pulled over they could fine you and even impound your vehicle (which is not very likely unless you're street racing or driving very wreckless giving the cops a reason to inspect your vehicle)

I would personally go for the TRD because it's easier to install and it looks awesome but thats just me.
If it's CARB certified though it should pass inspection:top:

yayxrunner707

Reaction score
since trd isnt carb legal go with urd. ill tell you what. i love mine. you can defently feel and hear it. :top:

Reaction score
i dont want to do any intrusive work neither..so could i run the trd intake and the urd maf?

ddongbap

Reaction score
But really you cant go wrong with any intake out there.

URL]

URL]

are you sure?

BlackCat

Reaction score
For the rest of us in the other 49states (and Canada), CARB is meaningless... (well, not sure about New York and Mass since those two now use California or Cali-like emissions standards).

Some Intakes are CARB certified, my K&N FIPK FilterCharger in my Mazda carries a CARB exemption sticker. Don't know about the K&N for a Taco, though.

PascoX

Reaction score
The TRD kit is nice, it comes with very detailed directions(not that you need them), and all the parts you need to bolt it in place where the factory equipment went with no alteration. Plus the sound is great. But I'd make sure you can use it in you area before you buy it, it's not cheap!

Top Bottom