Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

need some help fRom my xru peeps

Xtacy

Reaction score
Sorry this is a non xrunner question... this is in regards to my wife's 2003 saturn ion.

Been resting my x runner lately so my new DD is my wife's ion. It has 48k miles on it. Changed the spark plugs and oil about a month ago but ran into a problem last week. When I got to work I put the car into reverse and the revs dropped to about 400rpms and felt like it was gonna die, didn't think much of it tili drove home later in traffic and every timei would slow down to a stop the same thing happened, revs dropped and almost died. Now I'm close to my house and at a light when I stop and more the car dies. I'm able to put it In park and and restart it.

I've been afraid to drive it back to work but had the courage to do so and Never really had any problems until today. Dejavu all over again. .. in traffic car almost dies and when I'm by my house it shut off and started back up again. Tried to look for a vacuum leak but was unsucessful. Any ideas pls...vacuum leak, fuelfilter?

hrspwr236

Reaction score
My in laws had the same problem with their Buick and it turned out it was the transmission on its way out. One suggestion that is cheap and easy is to clean the MAF sensor with the MAF cleaner it helped the low idle in my Silvy!

Xtacy

Reaction score
I'm hoping it's the fuel filter and not the tranny

Gadget

Reaction score
Could be a lot of things like a dirty throttle valve or idle control motor, but kind of sounds like a bad torque converter.

If the clutch in the converter fails to disengage or drags it can stall the engine when you come to a stop.

One way you can check the converter clutch is cruise the car at a steady 60 MPH and with your left foot tap the brake and see if the RPMs come up slightly when the clutch releases.

G

xrbeach13

Reaction score
Check for an intake leak iv seen a few with that problem spray brake clean all over the intake and see if you make it stumble

Top Bottom