Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need some help...truck is running rich

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
I've noticed over this past week or so that my truck appears to be running rich. My exhaust has more black on it than I recall and just today I noticed white smoke while idling. The other day I accelerated quickly to pass some friends in another car and they smelled excess fuel burning. For those that don't know, I do have a trd s/c and recently ran into some issues with a seized pulley and torn belt. That has been fixed now but I don't know if this rich condition is a result of that or not. I don't have an AFR gauge yet but I can read AFR on my scangauge. I know it's not very accurate but I've seen it climb over 15 while pushing the truck. Any ideas? I know I should double check the X1 tune file and get a data log.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you don't have an AFR gauge. Do a datalog. See where every thing is. If need be, post it up here and plenty of us can help you out.

butters607

Reaction score
also I would reset your entire system (pull your battery cables) and then reload your x-1 file that way it gives it a chance to reset itself properly. but do the datalogs first to see if it really is running rich

Murderface

Reaction score
Dude if ur Scangauge is climbing over 15 A/F when pushing it I would not do that anymore until u figure this out. If the A/F is correct then that's very lean for u to be in any boost at all.

Over a year ago I was havin an issue with my ScangaugeII showing above 17 and at the same time I was getting a "too rich" code. Hooked up the lap top and my A/F's were dead on but the Scangauge was still showing above 17. I now have an AEM A/F gauge and sold the ScangaugeII and bought an Ultragauge which doesn't have A/F but does have many more features the Scangauge doesn't.

X-roller

Reaction score
15 is lean... I worry about people that run boost on there set up without an afr gauge.... I would much rather pay 400 bucks for a gauge than over a 1000 for a new motor.... that gauge has saved my ass countless number of times.... afr gauges are critical if not the most critical gauge you can have.... I think an afr gauge should be required when doing boost....

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
I have a PLX afr gauge but it's not installed. Shame on me for not getting around to it. Just haven't been motivated to do anything to my truck lately. I guess this is a good reason to install it.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Might be that time now I it seems. :top:

Again though. A data log will show you everything you need to know. Only thing is, that most people don't drive around with a laptop always hooked up always looking at it.

Get the data log.

Last edited:

X-Caliber

Reaction score
I think gadget drives around with a laptop hooked up to his cars all day.

But then again every time i've ever seen him he was either drinking beer or sitting in a truck with a laptop hooked up to it.

Meh, I'm just post whoring. My AFR is a little lean too from stevenredx's old intake, do you think a shield of fiberglass or Plexiglas or something would help it even out? It's got a bigger filter than URD's on it and gets alot more air in.

butters607

Reaction score
since we are on the afr deal should mine drop to 12.9 at WOT is that normal? or is that too rich? also at idle it goes between 14.3 and 15.1

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Idle and cruising should bounce around between 14.1-15. 14.7 is stoich. Basically the sweet spot for cruising and catalization.

12.9 is on the lean side a little. Should be lower.

That is a helpful link.:top:

Last edited:

butters607

Reaction score
Idle and cruising should bounce around between 14.1-15. 14.7 is stoich. Basically the sweet spot for cruising and catalization.

12.9 is on the lean side a little. Should be lower.

That is a helpful post.:top:

ok this is great news i think its pretty darn close enough for all the mods i have done!

X-roller

Reaction score
ok this is great news i think its pretty darn close enough for all the mods i have done!

I would pump a little more fuel in there.... that's actually not close..... that's pretty lean for n/a.... I would drop it down to about 12.0 to be safe.... that's a real aggressive tune.... not great for a daily driver....

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
Ok guys, I took 3 samples today. Here is a pic from the last one where the AFR from one of the sensors got down to 9.85. AFR cmd got down to 11.35. I only got up to 4700rpm and up to 80mph. When I left off the gas, is it normal to see AFR readings from the sensors up to 17.50? Not sure how to post the original screenshot here. Also, who can I send the data log files to for their review? Can someone confirm the tune file for me. I'm running "Tta40.04XF.F4_425.04". Thanks fellas.

x1datalog03242011_lowAFR-1.jpg

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
When I let off the gas my gauge reads this "---" for a sec or two and then gets back to normal for whatever speed/throttle command is

Oh ya sometimes when I wind a gear up and then shift mine dips down to lo 10's before it gets to the correct ratio for whatever the speed/throttle is. I would say that's normal

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is normal for it to get high like that for a little bit after foot off of throttle. Then it will adjust itself back to normal.

Top Bottom