Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New desktop PC

X-Caliber

Reaction score
I have a PC I built in 2005, a higher end gaming rig. Long story short, I stopped playing video games and I have some interest in getting back into PC gaming (Console gaming isn't fun to me imo).

My current build is on an Asus A8N5X motherboard, 2 gigs of ram on a dual core AMD processor (When the AMD dual core first came out). I have an Nvidia 88000GTS video card.

Any PC guru's out there recommend any good parts to update my rig? I'd like to replace the motherboard (I think the A8N5X only supports up to 4gig of ram, :thumbdown:)

I've been out of the PC technology stream for a few years and wouldn't really know who is leading the market as far as price for my buck.

Thanks folks.

BradyT88

Reaction score
I would just upgrade the whole thing, except the case of course unless you just want a new case.

I don't know your budget but:
I would get a core i5-2500K or 3750K (whichever is cheaper) and a good cooler if you plan to OC. A Z68 (for the 2500K) or a Z75/77 (for the 3750K) chipset mobo, any will do just pick by brand or price really.
4 or 8 gigs of ram depending on your budget, you can always add more later
The video card is harder to pick, basically the best one that fits in your budget. Link below for a quick comparison.
An SSD is faster than an HDD, but they cost more for less storage space. Ideally an SSD for the OS and your games and an HDD for everything else, but budget is a factor. An SSD will not improve your games, it will just significantly shorten loads times and OS bootup and such. Link below for comparison.
Then a powersupply to run it. Link below for help finding ideal wattage.
and any addons you like, like sound card, ethernet card, fans, cd drives etc.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

I know this is brief and vague, just ask me some more specific questions and I will try to answer them.

JFrame

Reaction score
What are you willing to spend? 5-6 hundred? 7-8? More?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I will have one or two EVGA/NVIDIA GTX580s for sale shortly once I upgrade to the 680s.

Will probably ask around 300 bucks each.

i7 Socket 2011 & SSD FTW the new 2011 socket should be 'future proof' for quite some time.

You should make your SSD your primary application drive and save all your other files onto a higher capacity standard drive (like a 1 TB WD caviar black or something)

The speed of a good SSD drive (or better yet more then one in a RAID 0) is probably one of the biggest things you can do to a PC now to improve performance. The old standard mechanical hard drives just can no longer feed modern computers information fast enough; they are pretty much the biggest bottleneck in a decent system.

High capacity RAM is so cheap now it makes no sense to have less then 8 Gigs; if you are a power user you can easily use this amount up. On the real high end systems I build I install 32 gigabytes and they even manage to use that up...

Last but certainly not least is a power supply; buy the biggest baddest one you can. A rock solid power supply is one of those things that means all the difference in the world and they NEVER really go obsolete on you. You will use a high end power supply through several PC builds in the future.

Im a big fan of Corsair PSUs - I use the HX850 (850 Watt) in many of my customer builds and I personally use a AX1200 (1200 Watt); id use two HX850s if I had the room for them.

If you plan on running any kind of serious graphics cards in SLI or Crossfire a beefy power supply like the ones mentioned above are almost a must.

During peak usage with my system I can use about 1,000 - 1,100 watts so its right there - buy the biggest you can.

Once I go over 1 kW with my computer my UPS starts screaming at me due to overload, its pretty funny.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W0Hc0BeNJA[/ame]

Last edited:

kenneth206

Reaction score
It's all about your budget. I just built a i7 3770k, Z77 motherboard, GTX 680, and 16GB RAM for around $1.3k or something (I already had a SSD, those are a must have, especially for gaming). Newegg.com is a good place to start building computers and saving "builds" to your wishlist.

BradyT88

Reaction score
I will have one or two EVGA/NVIDIA GTX580s for sale shortly once I upgrade to the 680s.

Will probably ask around 300 bucks each.

i7 Socket 2011 & SSD FTW the new 2011 socket should be 'future proof' for quite some time.

You should make your SSD your primary application drive and save all your other files onto a higher capacity standard drive (like a 1 TB WD caviar black or something)

The speed of a good SSD drive (or better yet more then one in a RAID 0) is probably one of the biggest things you can do to a PC now to improve performance. The old standard mechanical hard drives just can no longer feed modern computers information fast enough; they are pretty much the biggest bottleneck in a decent system.

High capacity RAM is so cheap now it makes no sense to have less then 8 Gigs; if you are a power user you can easily use this amount up. On the real high end systems I build I install 32 gigabytes and they even manage to use that up...

Last but certainly not least is a power supply; buy the biggest baddest one you can. A rock solid power supply is one of those things that means all the difference in the world and they NEVER really go obsolete on you. You will use a high end power supply through several PC builds in the future.

Im a big fan of Corsair PSUs - I use the HX850 (850 Watt) in many of my customer builds and I personally use a AX1200 (1200 Watt); id use two HX850s if I had the room for them.

If you plan on running any kind of serious graphics cards in SLI or Crossfire a beefy power supply like the ones mentioned above are almost a must.

During peak usage with my system I can use about 1,000 - 1,100 watts so its right there - buy the biggest you can.

Once I go over 1 kW with my computer my UPS starts screaming at me due to overload, its pretty funny.

That's insane that you pull over 1K with your system! Although I guess it does have a Sandy Bridge E in it with two 580's.

For gaming I would stick with the 1155 cpu socket. The 2011 socket cpu's have a ton of processing power because they have 2 extra cores, but in every gaming test I have seen the 1155's beat them out at fps. Core for core and clock for clock the 1155's are faster and since no games (or possibly very few) take advantage of more than 4 cores, the 1155's are better gaming cpu's than the 2011's.
(1155's are the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge cpu's. 2011's are the Sandy Bridge-E Cpu's)
Besides you can get good 1155's for under $300, while the 2011's start almost $600.

As for future proof, in my few years building computers and such, I don't think any of them are. Companies are always claiming it but most of the sockets don't last more than just a handful of years. They over design the sockets when they first come out but 1 or 2 generations of cpu's later they max out their potential and change to something better.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
That's insane that you pull over 1K with your system! Although I guess it does have a Sandy Bridge E in it with two 580's.

For gaming I would stick with the 1155 cpu socket. The 2011 socket cpu's have a ton of processing power because they have 2 extra cores, but in every gaming test I have seen the 1155's beat them out at fps. Core for core and clock for clock the 1155's are faster and since no games (or possibly very few) take advantage of more than 4 cores, the 1155's are better gaming cpu's than the 2011's.
(1155's are the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge cpu's. 2011's are the Sandy Bridge-E Cpu's)
Besides you can get good 1155's for under $300, while the 2011's start almost $600.

As for future proof, in my few years building computers and such, I don't think any of them are. Companies are always claiming it but most of the sockets don't last more than just a handful of years. They over design the sockets when they first come out but 1 or 2 generations of cpu's later they max out their potential and change to something better.

Intel has already stated that socket 2011 will support the next generation i series processors; that is only why I stated that - socket 1366 has been through a few generations already and I road that out until its end of life; it proved to be worthwhile as my old 2.6 GHz i7 920 overclocked to 4.5 GHz romped for quite a while in that socket.

Also its worth noting if you came from a 1366 socket many new socket 2011 boards support 1366 CPU coolers and water blocks. So when you buy a 4-500$ motherboard with a 2011 socket you dont have to go out and buy another 120$ 2011 waterblock for your CPU; you can just use the old 1366 block (which ultimately saves at least some money since the high end cooling blocks will interchange from old to new).

It's not all about gaming for me.

I do compiling of many different large file formats, multinetwork NVR IP video recording & streaming, home theater encoding & streaming, & some decent gaming 1080 Battlefield 3, etc... (sometimes all at once) all off the same tower.

My rig is watercooled and overclocked quite a bit; I def benefit from the socket 2011 architecture and quad channel memory.

Really could care less what stock to stock benchmarks shows for games - its primarily graphics card performance nowadays anyway; even the oldest i series processors turned up are good enough with a set of decent GPUs.

Put the two platforms into a real task intensive scenario and see who comes out on top (not browsing the internet or playing battlefield).

A handfull of years in the computer chip world is future proof haha. When my overclocked socket 1366 could outperform or match even extreme series processors for 2 years of its life that is acceptable performance to me.

GEEK IS A LIFESTYLE BUDDY!!

Last edited:

BradyT88

Reaction score
Yeah I would hope you do more than gaming with that kind of power. haha. Not many people use that kind of power though. Not even close. haha. Yeah 1366 is dead as is 1156. 2011 isn't much newer than 1155 though. I kind of doubt it will carry on to another gen. 2011 will probably carry the Ivy Bridge-E (or whatever they end up calling them) and then it will die off too. All part of Intels Tick Tock business strategy.

I am just letting the OP know what is best for gaming since he specified building a pc for gaming.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
N3RD$ :eviltongue:

Psh... Closet nerd over here...

Yeah I would hope you do more than gaming with that kind of power. haha. Not many people use that kind of power though. Not even close. haha. Yeah 1366 is dead as is 1156. 2011 isn't much newer than 1155 though. I kind of doubt it will carry on to another gen. 2011 will probably carry the Ivy Bridge-E (or whatever they end up calling them) and then it will die off too. All part of Intels Tick Tock business strategy.

I am just letting the OP know what is best for gaming since he specified building a pc for gaming.

Yeah I hear you.

Then again GPU manufacturers play the same game... And so does Apple. :laugh:

****ing Iphones -_- /spit

Honestly just for gamine a previous gen i7 would work out well, and if you bought the stuff used you could probably build a decent little rig cheap.

I dont think my CPU went above 13% during battlefield alone with the two 580s.

Shit if you want an 'older' i7 920 processor and 1366 board combo I have one.

Last edited:

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I've never had a watercooled system before, and the most I've ever played on the PC always involved Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 1942. I want something that'll last me a while. The one I have is from 2005 and it will hardly run Fallout 3. I want to be able to fully experience top of the line graphics.

A 680 is on the list.

It seems like what I really want in my head will run me close to 1k.. oh geeze.

justin13703

Reaction score
I built a computer once back when I was like 16...back when the pentium 4 with hyper threading technology was the shit lol. I've been out of the computer game since then though. Funny thing is, that old thing with a pentium, 2 gigs of ram, and windows xp, is still running strong, and faster than my windows 7 laptop. Lol

Top Bottom