Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New shocks needed

RunnerofX

Reaction score
just for some opinions i am looking into getting some new rear shocks and even tho i can afford to get the Qa-1s something about spending over $300 just for some rear shocks. im looking at getting some monroes or some KYB or maybe even some konig (sp?) but anyways im just looking for experiences with what yall have gotten and some input.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Everyone's response will pretty much be "get the qa1's" lol

CBRBob

Reaction score
Konig makes wheels, KONIs would be sweet. Almost no one makes suspension for this truck. The QA1'a are the best compromise. The major benefit being adjustability. Suit the damping to your ride needs.

RunnerofX

Reaction score
Konig makes wheels, KONIs would be sweet. Almost no one makes suspension for this truck. The QA1'a are the best compromise. The major benefit being adjustability. Suit the damping to your ride needs.

yeah thats what i meant. well the kyb's i found are like $40 bucks each. i might get the Qa1's but something about spending $300+ for shocks bothers me...

and the kyb's are adjustable

Last edited:

CBRBob

Reaction score
KYBs are adjustable? for $40???
And $300 for QA1s?

RunnerofX

Reaction score
yeah... advance auto parts said they have KYB gas adjustables for like $43 each

RunnerofX

Reaction score
hey man i have no idea whats up with this thats why im looking around and doing some looking online for suggestions. i dont know how it all works and thats what im trying to figure out

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
$300 for shocks worrys you? Try 1400 for an Ohlins on a motorcycle!

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
FYI, for those that don't know, thats the one and only shock on the rear of the bike :top:

It does include the spring, pre load adjuster, high and low speed compression adjustment, and rebond adjustment:crinklehair:

RunnerofX

Reaction score
i had an 04 GSXR1000 but i never had to purchase a rear shock for it.... luckily a friend looped it out for me and i never had to do that

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
the stock bilsteins are good! but i suggest if ur dropped, get qa1s

BondXII

Reaction score
I see that the final decision was to get the QA1s, I just wanted to throw this in for those that may want to know what the difference is other than the obvious price difference.

KYB has a new release of shocks that are manually adjustable. The AGX. They currently do not have any that are for our trucks or even have the travel dimensions needed to use as a substitute.

The only KYB shocks for us right now are the Gas-A-Just. These are an improvement over the average shock, just not the Bilstein shocks the X already comes with.

The KYB shocks have baffles inside that work with your driving. These baffles relax/constrict depending on how hard they are compressed or extended. This in turn regulates the flow of the gases causing the shock to be softer or stiffer as needed.

The QA1 Stocker Stars have manual adjusting valves instead. Then (after trial and error for your X) you can fine tune the shocks to match what you are doing whether it is for payload, road conditions, or driving style. Once you know the settings your X likes the best then it will function consistently to the setting you have them at.

The KYB shocks may or may not function the way they should to the conditions depending on how they were during compression/rebound. The stock Bilstein shocks are a mono-tube design like the Gas-A-Just but work better (in my opinion). Figure, the Bilstein shocks were designed in conjunction with TRD for the X-Runner, where the KYB shocks are mass produced to work with any Tacoma, which happens to also fit an X-Runner.

We’re always looking for the next great product (including shocks) for you guys, but for now it looks like either replace the stock Bilsteins or get a set of QA1s.

CBRBob

Reaction score
The baffles you speak of are the valve stacks, they don't regulate gases, they control the flow of oil, just like any other shock. The difference is they have another set of 'valves' (check balls)that only work with small movements in stroke, once that speed of the piston is exceeded, they close and the shim stack starts to work. A good compromise actually. But its always nice to be able to adjust the damping to your needs with any shock.
Its just that so many people think stiffer is better in all conditions, which is wrong. Dont be afraid to experiment, turn the dials, see how it works for you! Enjoy the ride!

BondXII

Reaction score
The baffles you speak of are the valve stacks, they don't regulate gases, they control the flow of oil, just like any other shock. The difference is they have another set of 'valves' (check balls)that only work with small movements in stroke, once that speed of the piston is exceeded, they close and the shim stack starts to work. A good compromise actually. But its always nice to be able to adjust the damping to your needs with any shock.
Its just that so many people think stiffer is better in all conditions, which is wrong. Dont be afraid to experiment, turn the dials, see how it works for you! Enjoy the ride!

True. Figured the "baffles" description would be easier to visualize. There's a "How do They Work" video somewhere out there that I saw some time ago that shows how mono-tube shocks work. Pretty neat. I'll have to post it if I come across it again.

Stiffer is definately not always the answer for sure. As a bike rider, I'm sure you know this as well as I do. I found out early in the life of motorcycles that stiffer is not always the answer. Loosey goosey is all I gotta say. :biggrin::ahhhhh:

Top Bottom