Discussion in 'New to the Underground' started by walkinX, Apr 6, 2017.

1. walkinX

walkinX New Member

Glad to found this board! We are looking at a 2008 X-runner that seems in great condition. Neighbor is moving and can't keep it along with them. Gonna spend some time knowing inside and out of this machine before I pull the trigger.

2. autobodyX

autobodyX Member

2005 to 2008 have a posi rear and more room on back seat but no X-box speaker. They also do not have stability control, a big plus in my opinion.

3. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

Any modifications or is it stock?
    • For stock, definitely drive it and check the transmission on street and highway if possible. I have a 2006 and while the transmission isn't great I've never had some of the more serious issues of other owners like not being to engage certain gears at all.
    • I want to say another possible issue is a leak toward the rear of the tranmission from a gasket. @NHXRUNNER is good source for elaborating on what to look for.
    • Where are you located? In certain parts of the country (particularly parts with lots of snow) the frames have been known to rust. Toyota actually had a recall for certain frames. You'll want to see if that was done if you live in an area that is prone to salt exposure.
    • There have also been TSBs for the pedal and seat belt assembly. I'd just ask the owner what, if any, TSBs have been done on the truck and if they have a record of them.
    I'm sure others will have some good things to look for as well. Welcome to XRU!

4. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Welcome to the Underground!

Hopefully all is good with the X-Runner and your neighbor is up front about all that has been done to the truck.
    Keep us posted!

5. MrX-runner

MrX-runner Member

Welcome to XRU.

6. MplsX

MplsX Member

In the 2005 to 2008 model years limited slip differentials were an OPTION. Even if your potential truck has it installed there is no guarantee that it is still working. My recommendation is to take it to a trusted repair shop or the Toyota dealer and get a pre purchase inspection. It may be the best $120 you will ever spend!

7. walkinX

walkinX New Member

Thank you for the insights and tips. He mentioned its all stock, so I may take a test drive this coming days and check stuffs. We are in GA so rust is not much a problem.

thewarriordinghy likes this.
  8. thewarriordinghy

Where r u in GA? Im in Lilburn and loganville

walkinX likes this.
  9. walkinX

walkinX New Member

I'm down at Homerville, may move to Chicago soon.

10. thewarriordinghy

Homerville is way better than Chicago... I have alot of kinfolk in waycross and valdosta

11. walkinX

walkinX New Member

If only not of work, we will see. We settled pretty good here.

12. thewarriordinghy

May favorite place on this Earth is the okeefenokee swamp. When I graduate I may head down there... Any survey and civil engineering work in your neck of the woods?

13. walkinX

walkinX New Member

Been there couple of times, I'm not sure about the civil & survey works there.