Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Noise I Cant Figure Out?

Lucky X

Reaction score
i have a squeeking noise coming out from my 2007 xr that has 26k miles on it. I work at a chevy dealership so i'm mechanically inclined. it sounds like a throw out bearing because with it out of gear i hear it. Bearely depressing the clutch it gets worse. then i depress it all the way and it goes away! does this sound familliar to anyone? im chevy smart not toyota smart not really familliar with all the mechanics of toyotas as i dont work on them all day like i do chevys. should i just take it to the dealership? ive heard all of the horror stories about the dealerships claiming that ur racing it and all that. im not mild mannered and i will flip out if someone accuses me of something im not doing. i i take it to the dealership should i just claim to have a shifting problem and get them to replace the tranny? will the new assembly have a new clutch or will they use the old ones? any help would be awesome.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
yea, sounds likely. Run this by Gadget.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
i have a squeeking noise coming out from my 2007 xr that has 26k miles on it. I work at a chevy dealership so i'm mechanically inclined. it sounds like a throw out bearing because with it out of gear i hear it. Bearely depressing the clutch it gets worse. then i depress it all the way and it goes away! does this sound familliar to anyone? im chevy smart not toyota smart not really familliar with all the mechanics of toyotas as i dont work on them all day like i do chevys. should i just take it to the dealership? ive heard all of the horror stories about the dealerships claiming that ur racing it and all that. im not mild mannered and i will flip out if someone accuses me of something im not doing. i i take it to the dealership should i just claim to have a shifting problem and get them to replace the tranny? will the new assembly have a new clutch or will they use the old ones? any help would be awesome.

Sounds like a definite throw out bearing issue. Lots of guys have the issue. And it seems the cause is bad alignment in the transmission/bellhousing specifically. More and more guys are successfully getting the dealerships to change out the transmission. Haven't really seen any info if they have actually changed the bellhousing in the new trans to fix the issue, but it seems toyota is at least aware of the problem even if they haven't issue a TSB or recall.
Take it in and tell them about the bearing noise and make sure they take a look at the bearing carrier for wear- better yet have them show it to you. If its worn you should have no issue getting a trans replaced. If they hassle you come back and we can find you numerous threads over many different forums for further documentation of an issue and how other dealerships are handling it.

SX TOY

Reaction score
that is the sound I have and I am sure mine is the throwout bearing

Weasle

Reaction score
If you want a new tranny...just jack up one of the gears so it jumps out...just watch out cause im 90% sure they use the old clutch. I had to have my trans replaced cause it was jumping out of third constantly. 5 days after they put the new trans in the clutch broke...dont remember what it was...T-O bearing broke i think...they hesitated to fix that cause id already had 1 clutch replaced cause it shattered at 2200 miles, but they had the trans ordered and in withing a week, but they gave me crap about the clutch saying i was dumping the clutch at high RPM's to do burnouts. It almost like they know theres a clutch issue and are still trying to defend it....weird :frown:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
If you want a new tranny...just jack up one of the gears so it jumps out...just watch out cause im 90% sure they use the old clutch. I had to have my trans replaced cause it was jumping out of third constantly. 5 days after they put the new trans in the clutch broke...dont remember what it was...T-O bearing broke i think...they hesitated to fix that cause id already had 1 clutch replaced cause it shattered at 2200 miles, but they had the trans ordered and in withing a week, but they gave me crap about the clutch saying i was dumping the clutch at high RPM's to do burnouts. It almost like they know theres a clutch issue and are still trying to defend it....weird :frown:

they know there is an issue. If one dealership won't help you out take it to another. If that doesn't work start going up the chain of command. Just stay cool about it and bring in some documentation of other people having the issue and other people getting it fixed.

x-short-r

Reaction score
Same problem, I just had my 2nd T.O replace about 2 weeks ago at the dealer. This time, the mechanics said that when they put in the new T.O and tried to put back the clutch, it didn't fit because Toyota changed something - I'm guessing the bell housing assembly. So they had to order me a new clutch. So I think Toyota knew about the problem and did make changes to it, not sure if there are any TSB for it though. The dealership didn't give me a hard time because I made them print out all the service records on it showing that I've had this problem numerous times. Good luck!

I noticed after driving for a week on the new clutch that my MPG decreased noticeably. Is this typical of a new clutch?

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Same problem, I just had my 2nd T.O replace about 2 weeks ago at the dealer. This time, the mechanics said that when they put in the new T.O and tried to put back the clutch, it didn't fit because Toyota changed something - I'm guessing the bell housing assembly. So they had to order me a new clutch. So I think Toyota knew about the problem and did make changes to it, not sure if there are any TSB for it though. The dealership didn't give me a hard time because I made them print out all the service records on it showing that I've had this problem numerous times. Good luck!

I noticed after driving for a week on the new clutch that my MPG decreased noticeably. Is this typical of a new clutch?

no the clutch shouldn't affect the mileage. And if you have them look at it again make sure you check out the bearing carrier part of the transmission that the TO bearing rides on. My guess is it is worn out and needs to be replaced or you will have more issues with to bearings.

CanyonCarver

Reaction score
Not to thread jack ,but I'm also getting the noise and was wondering if I should remove my SS before I take it to the Dealer?

lamecargo

Reaction score
i had a clutch blow out twice....on the last time they replaced everything from the crank to the rear diff with all 09 parts so it depends on the dealer mostly

Top Bottom