Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Noise when making turns in my truck! Help!!

raziug

Reaction score
I am trying to identify what's going on with my truck. Every time I am making a sharp turn left or right it makes the noise in the video (like a seal barking)((video link below)) I noticed when I put my foot on the clutch the noise goes away.

I can't identify the noise on my own because the truck has to be moving to make the noise and I don't have anyone to drive it for me.

This video was taken in a parking lot, inside the cab, going in a circle. I was in 2nd gear going between 5-10 mph. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://youtu.be/7w6sOhiRW90

Coupe

Reaction score
The video does not work for me. I can barely hear anything, but I am an old shxT.

Does the noise happen when the wheels are straight?

The first thing i would check is the power steering fluid level.

raziug

Reaction score
Only when turning, straight is good. Also only when in gear and not while I'm neutral or when I have the clutch pedal pressed down.

STONER-X

Reaction score
It sounds like a tire rubbing?????

Peek at the ps fluid

Maybe check the wheel bearings and or check if the differential is working properly maybe the clutch pack is wore out??

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I can't hear anything well enough to give you a prediction. If your taking the video with a phone take some tape and tape it to the fender closer to where you think the sound is coming from. Try it in different places on the truck can help you locate the noise location and can help us better hear the sound your talking about.

Coupe

Reaction score
Does it do it on left & right turns?

joshxrmora

Reaction score
raziug,

there are multiple things that could cause this issue. first thing anyone who knows vehicles will tell you is check the power steering fluid, if that's not the issue it could be something more serious like your rear. The reason I say this is usually the diagnosis for trouble when only making left or right turns is the rear because of the way the rear wheels need to be rotating at different speeds during any given turn. The X-runner has a Limited Slip Differential (LSD). I'm not sure exactly how the newer models (like yours) work, but I'm pretty sure it uses electric braking system. someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The last thing i can assume since you claim your truck is stock and I don't see the stock wheels rubbing anywhere is that you possibly have an issue with the U-Joints. The U-joints are the Joints that tie your Drive shaft together. the X has a two part drive shaft meaning we have 3 sets of U-joints. About a year ago i was hearing sounds from my rear and experiencing a small shake in the rear as i was making slow ans sharp turns. this eventually got worse and was noticeable while driving straight. Turned out it was my U-Joints.

Other things to check.

Jack the front of the vehicle up and make sure its stable. Give the front wheels a good shake. if there's play in the wheels its your wheel hub.

could be the throw out bearing starting the inevitable chirp and the only reason your hearing it during turns is because your engine noise is low.

good luck with the diagnosis.

STONER-X

Reaction score
O5-08 have real lsd.... 09+ went to open diff with traction control

Top Bottom