Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Not good news

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Not good news - with vid

So driving back to work after my lunch I pulled out into traffic and punched it, took the truck to about 5300 and shifted into second then got up to about 4000rpm and heard a rotational 'clunk'. It's for sure not the tranny and it doesn't grind, I can hear it as the rear wheels rotate. I am thinking that either the rear end shifted under strain or it has something to do with the carrier bearing. I have the ss drop on blocks, maybe it shifted due to a loose u bolt(they were torqued to 55lbs) or a block is fubar I dunno will have to put er up tomorrow.

I just finished driving 3300km in the last 9 days so I am glad it happend while I am at home but am not sure what it could be, I am really hoping it's not something with the diff gearing....

Update: its raining cats and dogs up here so I won't be able to climb under the truck so I am taking it to the dealer. here is a video that I took last night as I drove home from work.
http://www.youtube.com/user/hottacoX?feature=mhum#p/u

it seems that after 30km/h I don;t hear it unless I clutch in or am slowing down.....we shall see what the diagnosis is. I am still under powertrain warrenty so hopefully it doesn't cost me my thumbs to get it back

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Put it on stands, and disconnect the drive shaft from the third member. Rotate the wheels. If you hear a clunk, you know it is in the third member. Other wise it might be in the trans.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the torque on the drive shaft nuts for when I wanna put it back together??

Kanekz

Reaction score
I have that same noise
do u have vibration like feelin in the pedals as well?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
No not a vibration in the pedal Its mire like pop pop, it sound like the carrier bearing binding but not too sure, I took a vid on my way home from work I will try to post it tomorrow

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok truck was on the hoist for a total of 8 minutes.... Any takers to what it was??

Kanekz

Reaction score
Maybe it's a 06 problem?
Did you find the source?

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
a dead cat rolled up on your drive shaft?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha some of these answers are hilarious, but yeah Christdenied is the winner. I have never had a problem with the lugs so it was news to me. It was suggested that I get hubcentric rings and that is the solution. Kinda crazy since I just drove 3000km or so and no issue and that I torque my lugs to 85ftlbs

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
torque to 85 ft-lbs, drive 50 miles (80km) re-torque. Won't happen again :top:

you didn't bend or strip any lugs?

Murderface

Reaction score
What do i win? Glad thats all it was but like Matt asked did u bend or strip and studs?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing bent or stripped thankfully, I feel like a tool more or less but like I said they are torqued with a torque wrench and re torqued, and I hadn't touched my wheels since before x fest.. Nevertheless glad it wasn't worse... Let the modding continue lol

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
Our specs say Torque to 85 and that is also what we do at work.

However, on my truck I torque them to 100 and I have been doing that for 3 years. Just about all the Toyota's we have come in for tires, have lugs that are barely even torqued and I could probably loosen them very easily with a regular ratchet. Not good and that's why I torque to 100. With aftermarket wheels, I would definitely torque them more than 85 and hub rings are a must IMO

Kanekz

Reaction score
So all it was, was your lugnuts? I guess I'll check mine

Top Bottom