Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Oh no!! Codes!!!!

kblozano

Reaction score
So now that I have your attention I need your help! I did a search on this before I posted and there was a similar topic but the situations are different

So occasionally at stop lights when the truck is just idling it will sputter, and it will do so every few seconds but as soon as i take off its smooth as eggs! well yesterday I when i stopped my truck it was idling pretty rough, so i shut it off and 10 minutes later started it, still rough. I shut it off and brought someone over to observe this naughty behavior and of course she purred like a kitten..

I went by to get the codes checked out and I pulled a P0430 and P0420 (cats below efficiency)

my question is what steps can I take before replacing the cats, or what do you think it could be?

the truck has Doug Thorley Short tube headers and 74000 miles

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
take off the cats, I'm sure they're shot. Get some long tubes or weld a test pipe in place of them. Add a URD sim and be done with it.

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Completely agreed with blackx-runner, but if your on a budge then I would say buy the URD o2 sim and gut the front cats out.

kblozano

Reaction score
well my only issue is that im not sure where ill be living soon and i dont want to end up in a state with the sniffer test and screw me, i could get away with that in CT but im not sure where else

how do i gut the cats? just bang on em with a hammer? and if i do that wont it just clog the rear cats (if there are any...or should i just kill all the cats.

Last edited:

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Get the Magnaflow cats.

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
how do i gut the cats? just bang on em with a hammer? and if i do that wont it just clog the rear cats (if there are any...or should i just kill all the cats.

Take a piece of small pipe and jab it inside of the cat and break all the material loose and just let it fall out. You will know when its all out because you'll see a fiberglass wrap floating around in their. Just pull this wrap out and your done.

Even if you delete the front cats you should be able to pass a sniffer with the rear cats still intact.

Murderface

Reaction score
^^^not necessarily, u can still fail with just fear cats because they're so far from the engine that they aren't as efficient as the ones that are right after the engine because they get all that engine heat.
OP I would just get some Magnaflow cats and replace ur stock ones with those. U will have no issue passing ay sniffer test with those in place.

rich017

Reaction score
What kind of gas do you run? Cheap stuff or something good. I don't mean octane rating either.

Reason I ask is because if I buy cheapo racetrac gas, my truck throws the same codes. Then goes away with the better gas. Not uncommon with todays newer cars and ethanol combined.

kblozano

Reaction score
i use shell premium...

no racegas here, well no sniffer where im currently at so maybe I can worry about this in the future and get the cheap fix now...but maybe not...would i just use the 2.25inch inlet/outlet cats?

and if I gut the cats i need to take off the headers?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the proper size for the cats.

08x

Reaction score
toyotas also have a bad habbit of throwing thoes codes also when you put a non factory cat on it

Top Bottom