Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Oil Viscosity to use with boosted application.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Just curious what the verdict is out there. What oil Viscosity would be recommended to use with the TRD s/c? Please dont ask where im located it says it right up top..Thakns!! :top:

Gadget

Reaction score
I run 0w30 AMSOIL. It is a 30w at op temp and has the best cold start flow you can get.

Get an OEM oil cooler. I have tracked oil temps and the OEM cooler does a very good job of stabilizing oil temps. Without it the oil temps are all over the place.

G

Last edited:

darthyota

Reaction score
Motul 5w-40 all year without issue and it hits -40 here in the winter and I change it every 3500 miles and its a double ester full synthetic

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
10w-40 minimum. For added protection, get a brand that has a good level of ZDDP.

sohc4now

Reaction score
10w-40.....high ppm of zddp? You guys obviously don't run cats, why not use rotella t6 5w-40?. Diesel oil has a very high zddp rating (1200 ppm) I ran that in my sr20det and that engine was as clean as could be. Plus it's always priced fairly low.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
True, and good point about diesel oil.

Add a catch can in, and it truly reduces the negative effects of the ZDDP on the cat. Because the engine won't be burning near as much oil, since so much of it from the pcv system is caught in the catch can. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Great protection, and a healthy catalized exhaust. :top:

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Hmm i was always curious about that stuff....the 5w-40. Seems to be the perfect viscosity to me.

Tunedx

Reaction score
I'm currently running 5w30 Mobil 1, say I switch to 5w40 Rotella will this hinder performance n/a or boosted and mess up the engine in anyway? I heard going to a heavy grade reduces gas mileage and because its a thicker oil won't the engine work harder thus creating higher oil temps? Any suggestions would be awesome!!

darthyota

Reaction score
I'm currently running 5w30 Mobil 1, say I switch to 5w40 Rotella will this hinder performance n/a or boosted and mess up the engine in anyway? I heard going to a heavy grade reduces gas mileage and because its a thicker oil won't the engine work harder thus creating higher oil temps? Any suggestions would be awesome!!

I'm still getting like 600k to a tank running 5-40 less in winter but not by much

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score

The thicker viscosity create for a very minimal decrease in gas mileage yes. But, the temps of the oil run cooler than a thinner oil, as well as hold up to higher engine temps due to running it hard or high loads, much much better. The pros of thicker oils far outweigh the cons, of maybe one 1 MPG.

Just remember though, you are in a sometimes very cold climate. You need to select your weights accordingly.

That is why there is a chart that shows the heat ranges of different oil weights.

Down here in the summer, I run 20w-50 in the colder months, 10w-40 to 15w-50.

Having your oil reach the temp where it liquifies and offers no proection is very bad. Thin weight oils will always do that before thicker weight oils. Higher ZDDP content also adds another level of protection.

American blends, you have to really know where to look. European blends are much better. As their weights decrease, they increase the level of ZDDP. They aren't restricted by the EPA. :eviltongue:

sohc4now

Reaction score
Lets be honest though, running a thicker synthetic oil isn't a bad thing. Especially when a 5w-40 synthetic flows more like a conventional 5w-20. Hell hot 5w-30 feels thinner than water.

Tunedx

Reaction score
The thicker viscosity create for a very minimal decrease in gas mileage yes. But, the temps of the oil run cooler than a thinner oil, as well as hold up to higher engine temps due to running it hard or high loads, much much better. The pros of thicker oils far outweigh the cons, of maybe one 1 MPG.

Just remember though, you are in a sometimes very cold climate. You need to select your weights accordingly.

That is why there is a chart that shows the heat ranges of different oil weights.

Down here in the summer, I run 20w-50 in the colder months, 10w-40 to 15w-50.

Having your oil reach the temp where it liquifies and offers no proection is very bad. Thin weight oils will always do that before thicker weight oils. Higher ZDDP content also adds another level of protection.

American blends, you have to really know where to look. European blends are much better. As their weights decrease, they increase the level of ZDDP. They aren't restricted by the EPA. :eviltongue:

This leads me to my next question. Whats a better oil to run in my x Mobil 1 5w30 syn or the Rotella 15w40 made for diesel engines? I don't drive the x in the winter plus I can get this oil from work!!

I believe its this grade oil.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/tpl_pro/

Last edited:

sohc4now

Reaction score
Whatever your preference is. Personally 15w40 is too thick for me and 5w-40 synthetic sounds much better. I run Castrol Edge 5w-30 synthetic.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Theres no point in going to a 40w when the engine calls for a 30w. Its thicker and can cause oil starvation in bearings just like going to thin causes oil wash and doesn't create the coat of oil that the bearing needs.

Top Bottom