Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

One more broken clutch thread

Armond30

Reaction score
Well, my first clutch died early. It was around 50 to 60K miles I think. I had the original LUK clutch that came in my 05. Every Hub spring was broken in abour 5 places. No biggie. I replaced the pressure plate and Disk with new Toyota / Aisin parts (07 model stuff). New disk had beefier springs, bump stops and the pressure plate looked a bit more rigid as well. Well, this morning with 70K miles on my Odo., Clutch failure. MY truck now has the aluminum flywheel, and Poly filled TRD shifter. (note, I beat on my truck HARD). The hub on the new clutch actually RIPPED away from the clutch disk backing plate.....WHOLE THING. BIG ROTATING CIRCLE. I do a lot of clutch kicks and such around corners and when I am just tooling around, but it has become VERY apparent that the factory clutch was not intended to put up with that kind of abuse. Looks like I am going to have to go aftermarket if I want to continue to play.

Word of advice, if you do burnouts and clutch kicks and beat up on your truck a good bit, go ahead and buy a GOOD clutch, even if your stock one holds the power.......it will fail one way or another :(.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Sucks to hear that man. :thumpdown:

What clutch are you going to get next?

AFP520

Reaction score
I hope this is the problem I had. Even though the dealer is telling me it's worn.

Armond30

Reaction score
I'm going with the Competition Clutch stage 4. The Ironman (stage 3.5) was strong enough to hold up to my 700 HP Stealth, so hopefully this stage 4 won't give my truck any problems.

Armond30

Reaction score
Slight update: Truck now has 106K miles on it. The Fidanza flywheel is holding up nicely. The Competition stage 4 clutch however is not. all the hub posts are worn half way through from the sprung spline section smacking them regularly. all but 1 spring are broken in at least 2 places. (the one that isn't broken is missing the sprung hub section that presses against it. It broke off). I think 3 (maybe more) helper springs have liberated themselves from the hub and found freedom. One of the larger springs also found freedom, partly in the center of the flywheel, and the other part under the lever in the pressure plate. (pressure plate appears to be a stock plate BTW. nothing wrong with that, but that is why the pedal also feels stock). Unfortunately, since the spring got stuck under the PP, one of the 3 release tabs (used to release the pressure plate) has broken off. I still had my old Aisin Plate, so I am just replacing it with that, but the clutch disk is pretty much done. The hub cover is in great shape (It had domed spring covers so the springs didn't bounce out of the hub. Only problem is that the Disk portion didn't have that provision, and they just went out that way. Spring pieces still found their way into the PP.

This clutch did it's job for about 35K miles (1.5 years) I drive my truck hard, so it is what it is. I am getting an unsprung hub clutch made locally with the same friction compound as the Stage 4. I have never had luck with sprung hub clutches to date, so I may as well change. If I bust an input shaft, It will cost me about as much as a clutch and I have to take the trans out for that too, so here goes nothing. We'll see what the next 30K miles looks like ;)

Top Bottom