Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

One way to save your RR paint job

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I noticed not too long ago that the hood scoop had faded very badly on my Radiant Red X. I had heard from Arkansas Chris that the AstroShield brought his X back from the land of the Pink. So today when I got home from work, I hit the hood with two coats of AstroShield (thanks Glen @ TTC!) and shizam!!! She looks all sexy again! I already put one coat on the tonneau and tailgate. Just have to do it little by little when you have a family. :biggrin:

Here's the finish (these photos were shot on full auto and were not retouched at all):

IMG_9704.JPG

IMG_9705.JPG

IMG_9706.JPG

IMG_9707.JPG

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
That looks great Klint. The only, and I mean only way it could look better is if it was BSP. =P I might grab me some of that shtuff. :top:

blazinx

Reaction score
lookss good the red wont fad as bad if you take care of it

InkedRunner

Reaction score
thats good to know for our RR. I got a paint warranty when i bought my truck. for 7 years. It came with the lame teflon wax job.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Looks good, looks like i need to look into that, would have been nice to see the before part, under the right light you can see pink all over mine

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
When it comes to glazing a DA, some good glaze, and a nice coat of wax will always help you out.

The key is to maintain your like new paint with these products. If you let it fade or let contaminants harm the paint the work of a machine and some mild or even aggressive polish is needed.

Most high quality glazes/waxes have a good SPF rating.

Bobby B

Reaction score
A few people have mentioned that my truck always looks clean, and it's partly because of Astroshield. this stuff is amazing! it makes car washes easier now. Thanks Glen!
:top:

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
where can i get some astroshield? and how long was it before it started to noticibly fade?

rich017

Reaction score
where can i get some astroshield? and how long was it before it started to noticibly fade?

You can get it at advanced auto for $11.

Which do you put on first. The glaze then the wax? thats how I have always done it.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I got mine from Glen, an XRU vendor, at www.totallytwistedcreations.com. :top: I've got to be honest with my fellow XRU'ers... and don't look down upon me too hard (remember I have a young family on a single income here) --- this is the first waxing that my truck has had; so 2 years here. :frown:

Which do you put on first. The glaze then the wax? thats how I have always done it.

I was going to use the AstroShield on the whole thing and then going to claybar it. One of the selling points that Glen brought to my attention about the AstroShield is that it doesn't contain any petroleum products like a lot of waxes. So I was gonna try skipping the wax all together.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
I was going to use the AstroShield on the whole thing and then going to claybar it. One of the selling points that Glen brought to my attention about the AstroShield is that it doesn't contain any petroleum products like a lot of waxes. So I was gonna try skipping the wax all together.

Astroshield before clay? :hmmmm2: I'm confused

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you guys reading my posts? :laugh: It's been two years (since I bought the truck) and I haven't done it yet... I have no idea!!! :argh: Looks like I'll be doing just a round of glaze this time. Hell - at the rate I'm going it'll take me a month to get that done.

Vince77

Reaction score
Looks good, way to get away from the pink. :top: :biggrin:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
You should:

1. Power Rinse off car (always do this prior to hand washing).
2. Hand Wash the body of the car and windows (once a week to two times a month).
3. Clay Bar (twice a year)
4. Mild to More aggressive Polish (only use abrasive polishes as needed - use chemical non-abrasive cleaners/polishes otherwise)
5. Glaze (Astroshield, Klasse, etc...) once every 3-6 months
6. Wax once every 2 months (or after glazing)
7. Apply UV conditioning Vinyl/Rubber/Plastic sprays after each wash to interior and exterior materials.
8. Polish glass twice a year (not clean)
9. Clean and condition Engine Bay (as needed)
10. Maintain with regular hand washes and acrylic glaze sprays as long as the paint remains in good show car condition (and it will with proper techniques and care).

Last edited:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great write-up DS! I make cut and paste that into a sticky for this section.

Top Bottom