Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Paint chip issue: Lets all call!

HolyCow

Reaction score
Hey fellow members, went to the dealer today to met with the area claim rep. She looked at my '06 SWB, with numerous chips, and a newly rusting driver's side rear door edge, and said that Toyota's waranty does not cover chips in paint! After a few minutes of me arguing about a design issue, I realized that I was getting nowhere. I explained that this is happening to all the X's at some degree, and its not because its low, cause its not, or that we are all riding on gravel roads, but it is a design related flaw! She said that she can do nothing, and refered me to Toyota (800-331-4331). So, I called Toyota and talked to a case manager, and after several times on hold, he said that they could not pay to get it painted, but, he would offer me a $600 coupon toward any toyota accessory. I said that his offer was appreciated but this doesn't fix my truck! I asked how does a recall get started? He said that the latest frame rust issue on the '95 to '00 tacomas started with just 20 calls to them........So what do you all think? I'd say we all call 1-800-331-4331 and beotch! I myself have already been to another dealer, and got the same run-around. We all know this chipping issue is a problem, we need to start getting this fixed before the next model comes and we can't get any trade for our "sand-blasted" X's!:motz:

Last edited:

Hitman

Reaction score
hmmmm $600 dollars on any toyota accesory I might call and get that I can finally get my TRD intake :biggrin:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
same here. i will just call 2 complain for you guys. i don't got an xr but i do got the 4x4. if you looked on the 4x4 compared to the xr you can see difference in paint on the bottom 1/3 of the truck. its to help prevent chips and scratches from rocks. maybe they should also do this for the xr.

HolyCow

Reaction score
I asked, if I took the deal, would it keep me from getting some paint in the future? He said "Yea".

Hitman

Reaction score
im defintily calling lets see TRD SS, TRD INTAKE, Air Freshener, some Meguirers wash stuff, little stuby tools, TRD Clothing, omg its christmas again yippppeeeee :rock:

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
I love to Complain and Beotch about things...:top:

I've had customer service reps hang up on me...:biggrin:

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
Oh I hate dealing with those people...Ithink they are dmv or post office rejects (no offence to anyone here). :eviltongue:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
you can't forget some of them probably used to be TSA agents(airport rent a cops)...lol

Oh I hate dealing with those people...Ithink they are dmv or post office rejects (no offence to anyone here). :eviltongue:

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
Isn't the 06' included in the tsb...where was that thread? It did exclude x-runners. It seems like the east and mid usa is getting theirs painted but it looks to be rather difficult out here in Cali since they are watching every penny.

DJmckay

Reaction score
i might just have to give them a call :top: good looks bro :top:

Hitman

Reaction score
so what exactly do we need to complain about :biggrin: :hmmmm2:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
i believe he wants us all to call to try get a recall in for all xr for chipped paint. since toyota doesn't want to pay for it, call in and complain and you will get a $600 towards toyota accessories/service etc. i would do that, for those needing a TRD s/s w/o knob, TRD Intake, TRD Exhaust, even the TRD S/C. this $600 would definately come in handy. looks like christmas has come 6 months early this year. woohoo

HolyCow

Reaction score
Do you have paint chipping off of the front edge of your wheel well moldings, and the front part of your bed side?

HolyCow

Reaction score
It's not the paint. I run 2 paint booths at the Georgetown Toyota plant, and the paint on the actual body is different from the paint on the plastic pieces; like the bumpers, door handles, mirrors, wheel well moldings, and ground effects. This is a design issue. If you take the money, you can't get your truck painted if they ever recognize that this is a real issue.

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with "Bianca". She stated that we must take our trucks into a dealership for them to verify the problem so they in turn can pass it on to the area rep. She also said that it would be helpful to have the rock chipping tsb printed out for them to take a look at. I said but it excludes x-runners. Bianca-Well, if they excluded the x then we cannot take care of it under warranty, it will be up to the area rep to verify the problem and have it "fixed". I asked how many of us does it take to have this problem resolved for 06 and newer vehicles. She couldn't say...wtf :argh: So I told her you better start a file, there will be more of us calling you soon. I think they are trying to leave it up to the local agencies to see if it is a local problem or a design flaw. I say design flaw. And no offer for my pain...

Hitman

Reaction score
well I doubt they will change the whole design of the truck they would loos more money besides you can always detail it to get rid of chips or paint a whole new color on your truck

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
true that hitman. but its not like your redesigning the whole truck. the only difference from the xr and 4x4 (other than the obvious) is the paint. on the 4x4 the bottom 1/3 of the truck the paint almost looks dimpled in certain angles of the light. this helps prevents scratchs, knicks, and chipped paint. i go offroading all the time and i got more paint chips on my hood from stupid semi drivers then i do on the side of my truck from kicked up rocks. just saying that might help with the chipped paint for you guys.

well I doubt they will change the whole design of the truck they would loos more money besides you can always detail it to get rid of chips or paint a whole new color on your truck

Top Bottom