Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Paint Dilemma

What should I do

• watersand, buff and reclear

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Wait a few years repaint the whole truck rr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Wait a few years repaint the whole truck with custom color

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • watersand, buff, reclear and add flake to clearcoat( not sure what color)

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

Tunedx

Reaction score
Just came back from the bodyshop. I had them paint my eyelids and also tried removing a scuff that occured on the grill when one of my elyelids flew off. As he was buffing the scuff out he noticed paint appearing on the rag. Looks like the paint on the x is single stage ( no clear coat) He offered to water sand, buff, re-clear the whole truck $1200.00 and possibly add a silver or rainbow flake to the clear so when the sun hits it u will notice different colors. Not sure weather I shold spent the money or wait a few years and get either the truck rapainted or go with custom color.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Yep, the RR's have some single stage on them ... I think on the bumpers, but apparently the grille as well. How bad is the grille ? If it's minor, it can probably be touched up. If major, just have them repaint the grille. No sense in repainting the whole truck if it doesn't need it.

Tunedx

Reaction score
Yep, the RR's have some single stage on them ... I think on the bumpers, but apparently the grille as well. How bad is the grille ? If it's minor, it can probably be touched up. If major, just have them repaint the grille. No sense in repainting the whole truck if it doesn't need it.

I had the grill, front bumper, ps fender and door repainted when I got in a fender bender. Maybe the bodyshop used single stage to match rest of the truck. Not sure exactly if the the original paint is single stage paint. Is there anyway to determine that?

xrgilly

Reaction score
your fender flairs will fade as well without clear just so u know

BlackCat

Reaction score
Did your body shop give you an itemized breakdown of the work they did for you ? If so, go through it and see on there what is listed for paint work. If they used a basecoat/clearcoat, then there should be a separate line item for applying clear coat. If a single stage, then there won't be a clear coat line item.

And as for the factory paint, my understanding was that RR's had basecoat / clearcoat all over except the bumpers (and possibly the hood scoop insert) which were single stage. However, I could be wrong.

Perhaps some RR owners can chime in here and confirm or deny my understanding of your factory paint process ...

your fender flairs will fade as well without clear just so u know

Not necessarily. If it's a single stage urethane, then it should hold up as well as a basecoat/clearcoat ... It may not have the shine and luster, but it may actually hold up better against some environmental conditions.

Last edited:

Amarillo X

Reaction score
Quality materials should cost that much bro, I'd be real careful...

RR's have single stage on the grille, hood scoop, mirrors and bumpers.

Last edited:

KETCHUP

Reaction score

Send the parts and paint to the XRU paint master.......BLACKCAT!!

kcidmil

Reaction score
If it's not bad, just wait to get it done with the colors you want. trust me this will save headaches later on. I usually wait till every other aspect is done (engine mods, suspension, tires) that way there's not a chance of ruining the paint. Unfourtantely my hand was forced on my XR, do to some damage I had to do the paint job first.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
So while fixing something they damaged on a easy job he planted the bug to upsell a $1200 job. My Boss would love him lol.

Tunedx

Reaction score
If it's not bad, just wait to get it done with the colors you want. trust me this will save headaches later on. I usually wait till every other aspect is done (engine mods, suspension, tires) that way there's not a chance of ruining the paint. Unfourtantely my hand was forced on my XR, do to some damage I had to do the paint job first.

This also crossed my mind. I would rather be boosted which are the plans for next year!

07SWB

Reaction score
Id just send the grille shell to BLACKCAT and have him hook you up.

I just sent a couple body kit pieces to him for another member and everyone has seen how outstanding his work is.

X-roller

Reaction score
Id just send the grille shell to BLACKCAT and have him hook you up.

I just sent a couple body kit pieces to him for another member and everyone has seen how outstanding his work is.

+1 :biggrin: He did my cup holder and it looks great.

STONER-X

Reaction score
So while fixing something they damaged on a easy job he planted the bug to upsell a $1200 job. My Boss would love him lol.

ya it probably easier to reclear the truck then worry about burining the paint with a buffer.....

everyone know that the factory paint sucks on these truck.....

if you are going to reclear and spend a grand or to... wait!!!!! SAVE UP $1000 EXTRA AND REDO THE WHOLE TRUCK you will thank your self in the long run new paint and clear would be far better than a bandaid on the stock paint..... why polish a turd at the end of the day its still a sh*t

the factory paint will be fine for another year

thats just how i see it... i have done a few projects where i had to redo and pay twice...soooooo ill leave it at

you can pay more up front and do it once or pay twice as much later later :top:

Tunedx

Reaction score
I'm going to save my coin and get a custom paint job in a few years after the x is fully modded.

Tunedx

Reaction score
I'm going after a tri-color or variation of red

Top Bottom