Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PCV System & Oil Catch Can

XrunnIT

Reaction score
im N/A and i plan on buying a catch can after this NST pulley deal so ill gladly let yall know what i find when that time arrives.

Easy way to tell first is check your throttle body for any excessive oil residue.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
N/A or Roots S/C - catch can on driver side. Turbo or Centerfugal - can on passenger side, unless you install a check valve on the hose between manifold and catch can , to keep from pressurizing the can. Thus having an oil leak out of can. Been there.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
N/A or Roots S/C - catch can on driver side. Turbo or Centerfugal - can on passenger side, unless you install a check valve on the hose between manifold and catch can , to keep from pressurizing the can. Thus having an oil leak out of can. Been there.

yep lol. :laugh:

XrunnIT

Reaction score

you got me thinking.. your right about pressuring the catch can if you are building boost prior to the TB.

below is a pic of our vent valve (check valve). You can see that going from the intake to the crankcase you aren't able to pressurize the system (unless the valve is not working right). In the case that the valve is not working right, then you could pressurize the crank case from there forcing the recycling to happen out the breather port on the passenger valve cover, essentially making the system work backwards.

If it is working, then you shouldn't be pressurizing the crankcase at all from that point. The fresh air breather still needs to be allowed to vacuum in air as needed.

ventvalve.jpg

Now being that you are building boost well before that breather, you will have no choice but to pressurize the crankcase (not good). So a solution is to add a filter to the breather port and allow it to breath that way. Now doing this will allow unmetered air into the intake (not good also). So you could route the PCV vent vavle through a catch can and reintroduce that vacuum line PRE-MAF sensor (at the risk of contaminating the MAF. This will allow proper function of the PCV system, as well as controlling any metered/unmetered air without pressurizing the crankcase. Not recommended though.

Last edited:

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
does it matter what catch can you get? I mean is there specific kits for our trucks or will any kit do? and where does it hook up too exactly?

DC29

Reaction score
no its not vehicle specific, all a catch can is, is a can with a cap 1 inlet and 1 outlet and maybe a screen inside. any catch can will do.

i think theres a couple diagrams of where it goes in previous posts in this thread.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cusco, Perrin, Greddy, TTC Performance, and I can't remember the name of the one that DS has, are some of the different ones out there. Ones that come with good mounting brackets are easier to work with.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
First off:

A PCV System was put in place due to EMISSIONS and the advantages it has on certain vehicles.

Back in the day cars had a draft tube that vented pressure and all that garbage into atmosphere and onto the road. They relied on its position to create some kind of vac to hopefully draw gasses out of the engine.

The seals were also a lot better and could withstand high crankcase pressures, also the oil dip sticks were screw on (usually) like on a motorcycle with a case vent.

This was necessary because gasses really had no directed flow and they could get trapped.

The other thing is that a draft tube or any open vent system (air filters on valve covers with the PCV system blocked off) is not a very good idea on a offroad vehicle or truck that may see lots of water. The reason for this is because the open system may allow water into the crank case (no one likes milky oil including the engine).

The modern positive PCV systems accomplish emissions regulations but also have a benefit as well. When vac is low (at idle) the PCV side vac helps draw gasses out that otherwise wouldnt be.

The only reason oil is brought into the mix is because it is kicked up by the moving parts exposed to the gasses (crankshaft, rod, oil squirters, etc...)

The design of the PCV system is not to use oil, just to get rid of the hydrocarbon rich gasses and burn them as well as evacuate pressure.

So our fresh air inlet allows this mixture to be burnt easy, and the VAC placed on the PCV side actually HELPS RELIEVE crankcase pressure (especially under load).

This satisfies emissions and protects the environment, reduces oil degradation, and evacuates pressure all in one simple system.

To function like this it is reliant on the crankcase being subjected to a small vacuum all the time.

Now there are other ways to run a type of closed system (exhaust as vac or a vacuum pump) but these are not race cars, they are street trucks.

Last edited:

DC29

Reaction score
First off:

A PCV System was put in place due to EMISSIONS and the advantages it has on certain vehicles.

Back in the day cars had a draft tube that vented pressure and all that garbage into atmosphere and onto the road. They relied on its position to create some kind of vac to hopefully draw gasses out of the engine.

The seals were also a lot better and could withstand high crankcase pressures, also the oil dip sticks were screw on (usually) like on a motorcycle with a case vent.

This was necessary because gasses really had no directed flow and they could get trapped.

The other thing is that a draft tube or any open vent system (air filters on valve covers with the PCV system blocked off) is not a very good idea on a offroad vehicle or truck that may see lots of water. The reason for this is because the open system may allow water into the crank case (no one likes milky oil including the engine).

The modern positive PCV systems accomplish emissions regulations but also have a benefit as well. When vac is low (at idle) the PCV side vac helps draw gasses out that otherwise wouldnt be.

The only reason oil is brought into the mix is because it is kicked up by the moving parts exposed to the gasses (crankshaft, rod, oil squirters, etc...)

The design of the PCV system is not to use oil, just to get rid of the hydrocarbon rich gasses and burn them as well as evacuate pressure.

So our fresh air inlet allows this mixture to be burnt easy, and the VAC placed on the PCV side actually HELPS RELIEVE crankcase pressure (especially under load).

This satisfies emissions and protects the environment, reduces oil degradation, and evacuates pressure all in one simple system.

To function like this it is reliant on the crankcase being subjected to a small vacuum all the time.

Now there are other ways to run a type of closed system (exhaust as vac or a vacuum pump) but these are not race cars, they are street trucks.

pshh YOURS isnt a race truck...

lol

DC29

Reaction score
turn up the nos and set it for when the v-tec kicks in.. +200 instantly.

lol

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.frsport.com/Top-Fuel-Zer...al-Oil-Catch-Can-Tank-Limited-Qty_p_8134.html

oil_catch_tank.jpg
Cusco can
The unburned gas which is toxic can remain in the cylinder head of a normal production engine can returned and sent to the combustion room slong with the mixture with this oil tank.
Where as with competition cars the unburned gas let out in the air.
This tank will not pollute the air and re-burn the gas.​

090918-5.gif

Oil catch tank Separator type

It uses newly developed intermolecular attraction filter!
The intermolecular attraction filter removes detrimental gases such as combustion gas, which decreasing mixing foreign matter into suction. By removing that foreign matter, the engine can burn effectively which affect to environment friendly.
≪Recommended vehicle≫
The vehicle which has large piston clearance, which has large capacity engine or racing spec engine.

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/search.php?substring=oil+catch+can

And a few more styles ^^^javascript:popupWindow('http://www....tch-can-15mm-universal-pi-1783.html?image=0')

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Mark... Its a F_cking metal can, not a continuum transfunctioner. :laugh:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
LMFAO ASMS..........oooh...NM. Too late

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
NEVER !!!! I say. NEVER!!!! HAHAHA

moregrip

Reaction score
the better catch cans separate the oil from vapor very effectively. If set up properly your blowers will be bone dry on the inside. I would stay away from one way valves (check valves) as they tend to complicate things; a smaller orifice is simpler and does a good job of restricting things if pulling to much vacuum at WOT (although there are plenty of people out there running check valves as well/just not the way I would choose to go)

this is the best quality catch can I've physically laid hands on:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

Last edited:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
the better catch cans separate the oil from vapor very effectively. If set up properly your blowers will be bone dry on the inside. I would stay away from one way valves (check valves) as they tend to complicate things; a smaller orifice is simpler and does a good job of restricting things if pulling to much vacuum at WOT (although there are plenty of people out there running check valves as well/just not the way I would choose to go)

this is the best quality catch can I've physically laid hands on:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

Looks mighty similar to the TTC one.

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=33478

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
The one I use actually has a very fine stainless steel filter media screen in it, it does a good job and looks very good.

Top Bottom