Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Poor Mans 2" Drop/Traction

Smeegle

Reaction score
I'm probably gonna get a lot of ridicule for this but need some help/advise from you "Experts"--Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, & your patience with my little project.
Here is my situation [besides being poor]--
Have 05 BSP and LOVE it but wasn't happy with ground clearance or Wheel hop/Traction. I really like all your lowered trucks and want/am going to do it some day if I live long enough but in the interm here goes.
To deal with ground clearance [keep in mind I want to drop as much as possible-3/4 etc.] I went with 20 Verde Chrome 51's on 255x45 Proxies this raised the whole truck 1 1/2 " all way around=Clearance
Now for Traction--

First I leaned this way only putting them foreward & on top of the springs

jcwhitney.com/LEAF-SPRING-HELPERS/GP_2005985_N_111+10201+600003426_10101.jcw[/url]

Next I leaned this way
jcwhitney.com/HELLWIG-PERFORMANCE-TRACTION-CONTROL-SPRINGS/GP_2005971_N_111+2005+200729294+600003409_10101.jcw

Now I think this is going to be this poor mans set up for now

[jcwhitney.com/HELLWIG-LOADPRO-ADJUSTABLE-HELPER-SPRINGS/GP_2005983_N_111+600003426+20004541_10101.jcw?showCustom=0&makeName=Toyota&makeId=85&modelName=&modelId=&year=&refId=20004541&mediaCode=ZX[/url]

^ Eliminated this Butt Fugly one thanks to help & suggestions from members below----Thanks U Guys

I know it is Butt Fugly, But I "THINK" the Advantages might =
2" rear drop & no blocks
Way more traction with less wheel hop
Let me go for the biggesr drop/add custom springs when I can afford it
Help level truck a little
Gonna need longer center pin & u bolts, & maybe shocks but still cheap>---------<Please disreguard this one--Not going to happen!!!!

5-27-09---Edit--Gonna order these also as Schwabb says it will work---They ore offset ond ONLY painted ---Hope to put next to axel with long part of spring towards rear of leaf pack
http://www.4-wheel-drive-lift-kits....a-tacoma-4wd---rear-2--add-a-leaf--pair-.html

Be gentle with me, hope the links work, first post, but help/advise /comments [good or bad] appreciated--Smeegle
picture.php

Last edited:

Smeegle

Reaction score
Yea really want to do that but I think this will allow me to do that plus have no blocks in the back and use one of the venders,+thier spring pack in meantime, no $$$- [new roof & kid getting married come first]

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
You know those are for Tundras, not Tacomas, right?

Or at least, the last link you gave us is for Tundras, anyhow.

quickshift93

Reaction score
ur rockin a sport truck with performance handling..when i lived in tacoma i loved my djm drop cause the roads arn't as bad as they are here (detroit). i would save up ur pennys and get the djm and track bars from the vendors.. trust me it's worth the wait. you'll be happy you waited

Smeegle

Reaction score
You know those are for Tundras, not Tacomas, right?

Or at least, the last link you gave us is for Tundras, anyhow.

This is just what kind of input I'm looking for--Thanks
The page only says for toyota I must have goofed it, the 2&1/4 width is what caught my eye
Just measured wife's 02 Tundra & it is app. 58" from inside to inside of Spring eye . Mine is only 54" Two inch difference in length on each end Creating some doubts here --Thanks

"ur rockin a sport truck with performance handling..when i lived in tacoma i loved my djm drop cause the roads arn't as bad as they are here (detroit). i would save up ur pennys and get the djm and track bars from the vendors.. trust me it's worth the wait. you'll be happy you waited"

Truck looks funny all jacked right now, was hoping this scenario AND djm+tracks all together at same time

Last edited:

Smeegle

Reaction score
Are you referring to my last choice, if so thanks.
Do you think a 2" difference from center pin to eye will be cruical difference?

KETCHUP

Reaction score
get a SS drop bro. worth the wait, trust me.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please don't misread - but I just want to point out something that I feel is worth mentioning. You realize that for the amount you paid for those wheels and tires, you could have kept your stockers and gone with a DJM or full Sittin Sic drop kit, right? (assuming you bought the wheels and tires new) That would have eliminated all the fender gap for the same or less cost. Hindsight is 20-20 but I thought it was worthy of throwing out there.

And on a side note, welcome to XRU! Nice username. :rock:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Smeegle. :top:

You can drop the front with Sittin Sic coils for $275 (best drop for handling), while not quite as low as the DJM, it will stiffen up the front.

For the rear, pull off your factory leaf springs, take them to a Coil/Spring shop and have them de-arched. you could probably get them de-arched for around $100-$150 (supposing you take them in vs them having to remove them). Then you can de-arch them to what ever you want as well. Add another leaf or helper springs to stiffen up the rear and you can also fix the axle wrap issue.

Smeegle

Reaction score
Please don't misread - but I just want to point out something that I feel is worth mentioning. You realize that for the amount you paid for those wheels and tires, you could have kept your stockers and gone with a DJM or full Sittin Sic drop kit, right? (assuming you bought the wheels and tires new) That would have eliminated all the fender gap for the same or less cost. Hindsight is 20-20 but I thought it was worthy of throwing out there.

And on a side note, welcome to XRU! Nice username. :rock:

Thanks for the welcome & been called Smeegle @ workplace for years.
Not misreading-- FYI Paid $900 for 4 month old Tires & Wheels-Couldn't pass it up!!!--From 08 Ford Edge SUV, Craigslist

XR-Ace

Reaction score
the words that caught my attention were poor and drop cuz thats me and thats what i want want but no monay..:laugh: welcome to xru btw and really diggin your username:top: curious to know whats the reason behind it cuz you even have it on your plates?

Smeegle

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Smeegle. :top:

You can drop the front with Sittin Sic coils for $275 (best drop for handling), while not quite as low as the DJM, it will stiffen up the front.

For the rear, pull off your factory leaf springs, take them to a Coil/Spring shop and have them de-arched. you could probably get them de-arched for around $100-$150 (supposing you take them in vs them having to remove them). Then you can de-arch them to what ever you want as well. Add another leaf or helper springs to stiffen up the rear and you can also fix the axle wrap issue.

Havn't decided on which drop is gonna work the best--Will be back for advice on that--In the mean time gonna go with option #2 in original post untill I can get the "Real Deal".
As for a "add-a-leaf"--The boys at Swabb's couldn't tell me how thick I could go and not have to change my shocks--Any Ideas?--I really don't want to change em--Again saving for the "Real Deal"--Thanks Smeegle

Last edited:

Scratchy

Reaction score
Also I'm sure you noticed your speedo is way off now.

You've changed the gearing and now you need a blower to get back the acceleration you have lost with those monster boots.
Those wheels and tires will end up costing you more in the long run... :dontknow:

Smeegle

Reaction score
the words that caught my attention were poor and drop cuz thats me and thats what i want want but no monay..:laugh: welcome to xru btw and really diggin your username:top: curious to know whats the reason behind it cuz you even have it on your plates?

Hey-nice to hear I'm not the only one without a "producing" Money Tree --wish someone would mail me a starter plant

Towboat captain tagged me Smeegle because of the way I was fondeling,groping,drooling, over the navigation equipment [oh my purtty, oh my precious, etc--just like Smeegle in Lord of the Rings Movie he said--had to go home & rent the movie just to see WTF--the tag fit, my looks and all & to this day 2/3 of ppl in the company Only know me as Smeegle --kinda funny I think

Also I'm sure you noticed your speedo is way off now.

You've changed the gearing and now you need a blower to get back the acceleration you have lost with those monster boots.
Those wheels and tires will end up costing you more in the long run... :dontknow:

^ No blower in sight for me--To many other "minor" mods wanted/needed first & speedo off by app. 5 MPH @ 60

Help Please --can'y figure out how to do "multiple Quotes so I can answer all ???'s in one post----Anybody

As to Scratchy---Gonna Get the Speedo recalibrated @ a place called Tacoma Speedometer in Lakewood, WA---1-253-582-3890---From my Dealership manager---5-27-09--Called & they say App $310 to install a unit behind the dash---X pipe/DTLT's first for me when money tree starts to bloom

As to the boots--- they were cheap & I needed something better for the SNOW. I figure I'll have those Roasted off way by the time my Money Tree starts to produce, I'll just skinney up when it comes time--lots of stuff for sale on Craigs list around here---[Economy} 8% UI & climbing

Last edited:

badbabi

Reaction score
Trust me, Smeegle likes bright, shiny stuff too. Give him a rag & some polish & he'll be happy for days:biggrin:

badbabi

Reaction score
OOOH NO--- my wench found me---Damn the bad luck!!!

Hey, my name's on the title too. Don't be jealous of what's under MY hood. I'll smoke you any day. Please somebody, get back on topic before he spends all my $$ :wink:

Smeegle

Reaction score
Up Date---For starters ordering option# 2

http://www.jcwhitney.com/HELLWIG-PE...ode+matchallpartial&Ntt=Hellwig#CommunityTabs

5-27-09---Edit--Gonna order these also as Schwabb says it will work---They are offset ond ONLY painted ---Hope to put next to axel on top with long part of spring towards rear of leaf pack in addition to option # 2 being on top & towards front of leaf pack/truck

http://www.4-wheel-drive-lift-kits.c...af--pair-.html

Will Post Pic after install in month or so after get back from work again & they let me put up Pics----Thanks for all the help & sugestions so far---Smeegle

BTW--Now have a couple of pics of my aberation/deformed X in my profile gallery before the above mod takes place----Stock height heigth now sits @31" front & 33" in back--Waa Hoo---Remember--Play Nice

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=265

Last edited:
Top Bottom