Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Possible knock ?

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
Got on it coming home, in the fast lane, next to the K-rail and I heard it.
Bad gas maybe? May have to do a data log to see what's up.
Any quick thoughts?
I know...knock it off. :laugh:

Murderface

Reaction score
Derrick I told u before that u need a 7th injector to run with ur setup cause of the extra boost and that u can't run 93 octane in ur area. If u do have 93 in ur area use that instead unless u already are.

Def do a log and let someOne see what ur injector duty cycle is at and start from there

Also make sure someone looks at ur spark on the data log to make sure u don't have a weak plug somewhere:top:

Last edited:

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
Pump yet to be installed...looks like I need to find the time to do so.
91 is the best unless I go to a certain station to get 95, 100 or 105.
I'll keep the foot out of it for now until I get it resolved.
Of course I tried to fire up X-tune and I guess I didn't do the load, clear, unload and reload of the new map so I'll have to clear it all and restart.
I've had the set up for 5-6 months without any problems.
Data log this weekend if I can get x-tune back up.
Thanks for chiming in guys.

Murderface

Reaction score
Wow u can get 95 octane! I'd use that, you'll have no chance of knock in the summer when it's hot as ballz out!

Do u have the bigger primaries? If not then I would assume that u either have a clogged sock on ur pump, got bad gas, have a spark plug issue or don't have enough fuel for the boost u have which would probably be the pump issue.

Let us know what u find:top:

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
668 injectors...95 is available at a 76 station. VP has gas stations that have 95 and 100 or 105 but the VP stations are closing their doors around here. 73k miles on her so we'll see.
I'll keep you guys updated.
I thought it the tires kicked up a rock or two. Just a couple of ticks and got out of it. Ran hard and smooth like always.
Won't know anything until the weekend.

fmap4life

Reaction score
gonna run some 115 in mine and see the difference between that and 87 and variances when I go to the track here shortly, hope it goes away bro!

Murderface

Reaction score
gonna run some 115 in mine and see the difference between that and 87 and variances when I go to the track here shortly, hope it goes away bro!

Do u have any way of tuning for the higher octane?

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
Yeah, is it one of those things that just goes away or it probably gets worse?
Exhaust isn't dirty, not blowing out any smoke or color.
I take it this isn't a turn up the radio and the problem goes away mod is it.

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
Do u have any way of tuning for the higher octane?

Not unless I have Gadget send me a new map for it.
Plus it's been a few months since I've seen it. There was going to be a law where only "race gas" can be sold and used at a track. I've never used higher than 91 that has been used since the s/c install.

fmap4life

Reaction score
damn, thanks for the heads up, I figgered I would try it since thats what is used in the camaro

Murderface

Reaction score
Not unless I have Gadget send me a new map for it.
Plus it's been a few months since I've seen it. There was going to be a law where only "race gas" can be sold and used at a track. I've never used higher than 91 that has been used since the s/c install.

That question wasn't for u Derrick. But now that u said something I know we can run up to 94 with no new map but I know u would need a new map for over 100 octane

Super Werty

Reaction score

Not sure but with no way of tuning it I'm sure it will knock like a bitch plus you'll be wasting a ton of cash:top:

That question wasn't for u Derrick. But now that u said something I know we can run up to 94 with no new map but I know u would need a new map for over 100 octane

It will not knock on 100 octane. Just make sure it is not leaded gas so you dont ruin your sensors in the exhaust. 115 is most likely leaded gas. You will see a warning label on the pump:top:

You dont need a new map for 100

Now to answer your question about power. The race fuel itself does not give you more power. Advancing the timing does that. So if your truck isnt knocking right now on 87 or 91 or whatever you are running, then 100 isnt going to do anything for you.

But lets say your truck knocks a small amount and the ECU is pulling a hair of timing out. Adding 100 may allow the ECU to stop seeing knock and thus you could theoretically gain that power back. Im not talking about the X1, Im talking about the OEM ECU here:top:

I should also note. The race fuel is not a higher grade of fuel, it just has a higher resistance to heat/knock

To the OP, dont get into boost until you figure it out:top: Dont want to break a ring

Murderface

Reaction score
^^^^well there u go, I didn't know that u could run up to 100 octane and not knock or destroy the motor. Good info

SooRunner

Reaction score
Knock, knock...Who's there? Kaboom! Kaboom who? Kaboom your engine!

I would stay out of boost if can. Maybe you got a bad tank of piss gas or not enough fuel? Good thing you have a "guardian."

Doing the URD fuel pump sucks especially if you have no access to a lift. I did it on the floor and had to do it like 3 times...the tank didn't seal correctly cuz of the old rubber O ring....My truck was pissing gas while driving.:thumpdown: If I ran over a flare I would of been on fire!

If you do on planning to do your fuel pump I would go to Toyota and get a new O ring for the tank.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
be careful. Knock is likely what cause my ill motor. its better to catch and fix it now before you end up like me :) Still runnin with bad rings.

SOHCmyDOHC

Reaction score
As far as the possible knock you hear, cali is transitioning from winter blend to summer blend (high RVP -> low RVP) so that may be part of the issue. I've noticed my DD's gas mileage change recently.

As far as lower octane stuff you can blame CARB for that... You will still be able to get high octane stuff but only at a track. You may still get it at the pump but your vehicle has to be on a trailer and you will have to fill paperwork out saying you are filling up an "offroad" vehicle. I haven't kept up to date with that topic though.

Cali just switched to E10 (lagged from other states) so all the CARBOB reformulations are gonna suck even more. I miss MTBE... :(

668 injectors...95 is available at a 76 station. VP has gas stations that have 95 and 100 or 105 but the VP stations are closing their doors around here. 73k miles on her so we'll see.
I'll keep you guys updated.
I thought it the tires kicked up a rock or two. Just a couple of ticks and got out of it. Ran hard and smooth like always.
Won't know anything until the weekend.

Jap

Reaction score
Can you guys get octane booster?
My knock sounded like a rooted tensioner pulley at first, then tried some booster.
A restrictive exhaust will have an effect on knock too as it keeps combustion temps up under high load.

I have sorted my knock problems and its still summer time, so I'm going to have a cracker of a winter :D

Top Bottom