Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Power steering rack

Xtacy

Reaction score
Anyone had to replace there's yet? Mine is leaking and been trying to do some research on buying remanufactured ones. Anyone know the part #? Some sites say its for x-runners but the price diff on some are big. Also, anyone know a good site to buy them? I was looking on APX auto, discount auto parts, and parts geek

STONER-X

Reaction score
i have bought a TON of parts from http://www.rockauto.com/ you can find 5% discount codes online if you google for it...

never had a problem with wrong parts or none of that junk

burnboy

Reaction score
The extended warranty guy that comes to my dealership says the racks are a big replacement part on toyotas. Mines leaking too and the pass boot is torn from the leak over time. I see on rock auto it's around three hundred bucks so I'm probably going that route soon

Gadget

Reaction score
I would get a Toyota reman rack from the Toyota dealer.

I checked the procedure for replacing the rack on my 10 4Runner. You have to pull the engine to replace the rack.

G

burnboy

Reaction score
If I have to pull an engine to replace a rack which is a known leaker in all toyotas then I'm done with Toyota in general.

Xtacy

Reaction score
Hows the replacement in our xs? I took a look underneath didn't look too bad.

Also should I replace the outer tie rod?

Gadget

Reaction score
Looks like the rack drops out toward the rear like the Gen 1 Taco. Do not need to pull the engine.

G

Xtacy

Reaction score
Howcome you reccommend getting it from the dealer as oppose to a after market one?

I was thinking of getting a aftermarket one for cheaper just because it is cheaper for me

Gadget

Reaction score
Cheaper is not always cheaper.....

A Toyota reman unit is as good as a brand new one.

G

boxerpicker

Reaction score
i work at honda dealer and when we had to put aftermarket rack and customer always come back with leaking or clunk problems from rack being low quality. that happended to one of our used toyota sienna. customer came back in less than year and complains about the loud clunking and it was from aftermarket rack and then we had to put OEM one in.

im also sure that you can buy steering rack rebuild kit from toyota and rebuild it yourself.

Xtacy

Reaction score
Called the dealer today...they don't have reman racks only brand new ones for $1000

Top Bottom