Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Preparing for winter... which tire path to take?

shaX 07

Reaction score
So i'm shopping for winter tires and/or wheels (scary I know, but it will be here before we know it) and I've got a dilemma... Here's what i'm looking at;

16" 5-Spoke Alloy Wheels w/ 225/60/R16 Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1 (Tires come mounted & balanced) - $746.43 Shipped

245/45/R18 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 (For stock wheels) - $864.20 Shipped (Not mounted, so add approximately $100 for mounting, bring the total to) - $964.20

It's just hard to justify the extra $220 just to have a tire that's 2 " bigger, and of which will probably worse in the snow... But also I can't run the BBK with the 16's...

So what are your guys thoughts? Should I go with the 16's and just swap out my rotors/calipers for the winter with the stock calipers/rotors or just go with the blizzak's for the stock wheels?

Michigan X-Runner

Reaction score
I have 215/67015 blizzaks for the winter -

I live in michigan - Never had weight in the bed... drove great!! I picked up my XR dec of last year....

I got bilzzaks and steel take offs (5) for under 700 bucks from tire rack!

Winter tires you need a narrow foot print so you don't float across the snow....

Itsnowed.jpg

and.....

DSC00757.jpg

FoxDavis

XRU Overdosed
Reaction score
What, something like these won't work?.....hehe

Attachments

• tmaxx-wheels.jpg
    tmaxx-wheels.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 91

46&2_X

Reaction score
So i'm shopping for winter tires and/or wheels (scary I know, but it will be here before we know it) and I've got a dilemma... Here's what i'm looking at;

16" 5-Spoke Alloy Wheels w/ 225/60/R16 Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1 (Tires come mounted & balanced) - $746.43 Shipped

245/45/R18 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 (For stock wheels) - $864.20 Shipped (Not mounted, so add approximately $100 for mounting, bring the total to) - $964.20

It's just hard to justify the extra $220 just to have a tire that's 2 " bigger, and of which will probably worse in the snow... But also I can't run the BBK with the 16's...

So what are your guys thoughts? Should I go with the 16's and just swap out my rotors/calipers for the winter with the stock calipers/rotors or just go with the blizzak's for the stock wheels?

Heh, that depends on how much work you want to do.

Personally for that much I would just buy a POS to drive in the snow.

Then you don't have to worry about crashing your X on some icy road.

But from a traction standpoint, the 18's aren't really going to offer much of an advantage. While they are slightly wider, it's also lower profile which means less cushion.

The 16's might actually work a bit better, because they are a little taller, and have a little bit of give.

But it's a hard choice either way. Neither is ideal.

Ridelow

Reaction score
well.. I live in Norway and work in the mountains in the winter.

I got some 17" rims and Nokian Hakkapelita RSI's.. they are studless and work really well..

Normally I go with studs but with the new technology its awesome to go studless and cheaper for me in the city too..

anyways.. I was impressed how well the X work on snow.. you just have to learn to drive with constant wheelspin ;)

Attachments

• sno.jpg
    sno.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 98

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Ridelow: welcome to the XRU family bro:biggrin: I hope you got deep pockets and credit cards cause your addiction has already started...Let the modding begin:top: wheelspin is fine...its called DRIFTING:rockon:

Top Bottom