Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problematic truck.

riceluver

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so heres my problem and hopefully someone can make me keep the truck.

I bought my xrunner last sept '10. fine and dandy, blah blah, i take it to my boys shop to show off.

He pops open the hood, goes ahhh oooh..supercharger. yeah uh huh, then he notices my pulley. Im not to knowledgeable about s/c, turbos and all the components that accompany it. So the first question he asks..."did this pass smog?"

Ok, so 3-4 weeks later, check engine light comes on. I go hmm, maybe gas tank cover... I take it to the dealership (still under warranty), they check it and say oh i think the sensor just got rocked a little. i go ok.

a week later, check engine light comes back on, i go back to good ole dealership, they find the catalytic has gone bad and replaced it free due to warranty. cool ok.

holidays come and gone, Feb 2011, check engine light comes on. Im too busy to take it to the dealership, parents are out of town so i take thier car and leave the truck alone, dont want to bother.

march, i finally say **** it, ill take it to the dealer.....call back, saying the gaskets on the other catalytic are bad, and it was welded by the previous owner (bought used) which voided the warranty. ok whatever replaced... 300 bucks. blah. i Pick up the truck last saturday, sunday i go to get some groceries, and bam....check engine light comes back on....

so i take it back, they say the cat where they replaced the gaskets needs to replaced and they'll refund the 300 bucks. from earlier. i go ok....after doing that, i get a phone call (they lent me a camry as a loaner) "you have a problem, the original owner, cut the flanges that connects to the rear catalytics, which is another cause to the light coming on, but with the flanges cut, we cannot cover by warranty, and it will cost $1250 for each cat, plus labor"

at this point im heated, the service advisor tells me, that they'll replace the cats up front and see what happens, but if the light comes back on...then the next step is the rear ones.

my question is.... do i have the right to take it to the original dealership i bought it from and ask for a refund/replacement. my buddies are telling me i should ask for smog certificate due to the pulley.

i traded my accord for this truck, and was hoping to at least get what the trade in value was.

even if the dealership is willing to replace the other cats for free..i know there will be more problems so i plan to trade it in no matter what..

i just need more input.

73988_455509428545_561178545_5519908_2189711_n.jpg

dbredleader

Reaction score
Cat probs

It would probably cost 2500.00 to get out of the truck anyway, I would start looking for salvage parts, and fix the issue. Money for money your better off w/ the XR IMO. But I understand your frustration, when it seems like you keep throwing money at it w/ no satisfaction. I guess you could part the S/C to pay for cats then sell the truck to break even. Good luck, Bro

X-roller

Reaction score
hmmm............. I would say take some pics of your exhaust..... something sounds fishy to me....

If the flanges were really cut then you wouldn't have a way of bolting it onto the exhaust..... I don't know if this is a mechanics fraud or they just don't know what they are talking about.... if you can take pics of your exhaust that would help out a lot.....

Gadget

Reaction score
What is/are the exact code(s) you are getting?

G

riceluver

Reaction score
i just dont want to deal with smog issues later on down the line. i just hope the dealer cant prove it passes smog, because then i have an arguement.

yes, according to the service advisor/tech, he said the flanges were cut and moved, so there is a way to connect to the muffler.

ill try to take a picture...im a little under the weather and its storming outside right now...

if i didnt have to deal with smog issues..it wouldnt be a problem

BlackCat

Reaction score

G

^^^^ Like Gadget said, what are your codes ... or did you just take it in when you saw the dashboard warning light turn on and don't know the actual codes ?

riceluver

Reaction score
after each time i had the codes ran by my friends at a shop, they said catalytics were bad, o2 sensors were bad and bank 2 was affected...

its still under warranty so i took to the dealership and told them what i found. i think after i brought it back the day after i picked it up, opened thier eyes to help me even more.

i bought the truck at a different dealership than the one ive been bringing to for service. both toyota dealerships. plan on bringing it to the original dealership from where i purchased it.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
I'd work with just one dealership at a time, and if they give you any shit just tell them you'll take your wallet elsewhere.

They can't work with the exhaust because it doesn't have flanges? Please, it's called welding.
Post pics up of the exhaust, and what codes the dealership said you have on your CEL.

Believe it or not, XR-Underground is the best toyota tacoma tech shop anywhere :adore:

Gadget

Reaction score

G

Red08xr

Reaction score
sound slike you bought someone problem my friend..

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would get the exact code numbers as Gadget has requested. You are making a lot of references to the pulley which is made by URD and Gadget is the main man at URD and a big tech-head for these trucks. He can certainly help straighten out any concerns you may have regarding that pulley. And there are plenty of others here with tons of experience working on these trucks that are very helpful people. Just provide the info they request and we can help set you straight. :top:

So 1) Get the exact codes that were throw with the CEL and 2) photos of the exhaust while the truck is on a lift (if possible)

Oh - and welcome to XRU! Don't give up on that truck just yet.

Edgeman

Reaction score
I would get the exact code numbers as Gadget has requested. You are making a lot of references to the pulley which is made by URD and Gadget is the main man at URD and a big tech-head for these trucks. He can certainly help straighten out any concerns you may have regarding that pulley. And there are plenty of others here with tons of experience working on these trucks that are very helpful people. Just provide the info they request and we can help set you straight. :top:

So 1) Get the exact codes that were throw with the CEL and 2) photos of the exhaust while the truck is on a lift (if possible)

Oh - and welcome to XRU! Don't give up on that truck just yet.

Would also like to see the graphic displays of the downstream O2 sensors (as compared to the upstream O2 sensors), as well as the short term & long term fuel trims.

riceluver

Reaction score
ok, so does anyone including Gadget know if the pulley shown in the picture i posted California smog legal?

from the write up i got from the dealer
"verified check engine light on, DTC p0430 bank 2 catalyst is below efficiency, Checked Freeze frame data. Checked for exhaust leaks. None found. Checked operation of 02 sensors, displayed waveforms for A/F sensors and 02 sensors. Bank 2 catalyst is deteriorated. Recommend replacing front TWC & Rear TWC for Bank 2 (drivers side)
Replaced Bank 2 Cat and related parts. works ok.

If check engine light returns may need BANK 2 rear catalyst replacement. Bank 2 rear catalyst has been cut and welded. Unable to warranty replacement of Bank 2 rear catalyst due to aftermarket modification to pipe."

and they gave me a picture of what happened...

196781_10150114450488546_561178545_6472868_5641527_n.jpg

now back to my original question. Am i at fault or should I ask for my money back from the original dealer. i purchased the warranty for this reason and i dont beleive i should be at fault for the aftermarket welding job that was done prior to me purchasing the car.

sound slike you bought someone problem my friend..

according to my friends in the field, one who is a used car sales manager, dealerships are supposed to return cars to stock before being able to be sold. Especially from a Toyota dealership, and in california, all cars sold must pass smog inspections before they can transfer ownership.

those are my two arguments.

and like i saw somewhere else in the forum....it was a damn impulse buy.. the truck was just so pretty and the installed s/c just made it beautiful. LOL

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
OK, your front driver's side cat is dead and needs to be replaced.

The rear cats will not set a code if they are dead, they are not monitored by the ECU. Because of this it is common practice to replace both cats on that side if the front one is dead.

If the front cat is dead and has not been tampered with the dealership that sold you the truck should replace if you are still within the 8 year 80,000 mile emissions warranty.

All this nonsense about flanges is just that. If they are not leaking they are not the problem.

Now if you get tired of being jacked around and just want a cheap fix and get on with your life you can install one of these:

http://www.urdusa.com/Electronics-R.../index.html?osCsid=k9maqcqfvfofbo4c0h5j0qqhc4

G

riceluver

Reaction score
thanks gadget...

i just talked to another friend who told me the exact same thing, the rear cat is not monitored by the ECU, so whatever the dealership was telling me was complete bull.

ok..so gadget mr URD guru...is that pulley california state legal?

Gadget

Reaction score
No the pulley is not CARB approved.

G

riceluver

Reaction score
thanks...thats all i needed to know...

btw... they replaced the dead cat

thanks again ...

Top Bottom