Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problems installing URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers

AZRckCrwler

Reaction score
Hey guys! This is my first time actually making a thread. I have been searching for a few hours and can't find anyone talking about the actual install of these headers. A couple references, but nothing in detail.

I'm having a hell of time installing these guys. I've only worked on the passenger side of my X-Runner (2008, btw) so far. I've removed anything that could potentially come into contact with the headers while trying to position them in from under the truck (including Y-Pipe, hanger that attaches header/manifold to Tranny, electrical lines from above, intake from above, and some other misc brake/electrical lines, ect). The only thing that is in the way is the actual header studs coming off of the engine. It keeps hitting those or the strut tower assembly (stock struts).

Basically, who has installed these and did you have a hard time fitting these in? Do I have to remove my header/manifold studs from the engine block, fit up the headers, and then re-install the studs and then bolt headers to block? Thanks guys!

I love the look of these (besides all the scratches to the ceramic coating that I caused while trying to fit them up). I can't wait to feel the power gain and a meaner sound!

Gadget

Reaction score
After you exhaust all possible other options for assistance you may want to contact URD Tech Support, you know as a complete last resort......

Support@URDUSA.com

877-887-3872 x3

AZRckCrwler

Reaction score
Haha nice.

Well good news, I just got the passenger side header in!!! Gotta get that sweet spot (The G spot?).

If anyone else runs into this problem, it is definitely possible, just tricky. I did it by getting the bottom rear bolt into its appropriate hole on the header. Then I slowly wiggled it until the top rear bolt fell into its hole. Once those were on, a couple more wiggles and it suddenly just jumped on completely.

Now the stress of not having a vehicle tomorrow is all gone. Not much left to finish now :)

TRON

Reaction score
Good luck with the driver side:top:

AZRckCrwler

Reaction score
Driver side was surprisingly easy, at least compared to the passenger side. Everything is all done now. I'm really surprised by the sound difference in this stock truck. The power band feels a bit smoother too and more responsive. I think I'm going to have to get more parts now... :)

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
We removed the studs in the heads,closest to the firewall. Made things much more manageable.

AZRckCrwler

Reaction score
I was about to remove the studs, but I realized I didn't have any external torx sockets. Luckily, I didn't need to get them. I found that removing the Y-pipe (just disconnect and slide towards rear of vehicle) was a huge help.

After talking to Gadget a bit, I realized it would have made a huge help to just have slightly jacked up that side of the engine. Would have easily given me the couple millimeters I needed. However, some finesse is what really got them in.

Thanks for the help guys! Its hard to not floor it on every street light now :p I need more upgrades...

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Those headers sound absolutely beautiful. Underpass rev-ups FTW! Lol

SgtBadA

Reaction score
My dad said the same thing about my doug thorley headers, underpass they sound super sick and extremely loud.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
PM sent to AZRckCrwler

Also, I contacted URD and they told me the headers you installed were not available yet. :hmmmm2:

AZ

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
I got mine a year and a half ago. Gadget gave a set for the draw at the XFEST. They are tricky to install, sound really good and the power band has moved up on the RPM.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
PM sent to AZRckCrwler

Also, I contacted URD and they told me the headers you installed were not available yet. :hmmmm2:

AZ

The Spec-U headers for '05-'11 ? They are available.

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
PM sent to AZRckCrwler

AZ

I think the year of your truck has something to do with that :top:

AZRckCrwler

Reaction score
Oh, I just noticed he's a 2013. You are correct, I don't believe URD has the Spec-U headers for 2012+ on the Tacoma.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Yep, Have the 2013 for sale, buying a 2015 Double Cab Short Bed 4x2 shortly. The very sad part is one can't buy a V6 6 speed manual trans in any Taco now. One must succumb to the ways of Toyota. :dontknow: :thumbdown:

I still like to look at the URD headers installed. My I see the set installed? Please PM address if Ok.

AZ

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait for the '16. You can choose a manual in that.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Wait for the '16. You can choose a manual in that.

Sorry but what makes you think Toyota will put a 6 speed manual in a 4x2 Tacoma.

I was told by an Toyota Engineer that all manual transmissions will be gone from all cars with-in 7 to 10 years. I asked him why and he said because of "emissions". Automatics can control emissions better.

:dontknow:
AZ

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is delegated to only 4x4 or not. At the unveiling of the 2016, they specifically said a 6 speed manual as an option. So when you say "4x2" in such a vague manner, then yes I can see the potential for a "4x2" to have a manual. The link is on the forum to the unveiling.

Now, will the PreRunner have the 6 speed manual transmission? Most likely since it follows the same platform as the 4x4. Will the 5 lug 4x2 ? Which is what I can only imagine that you are referring to, then I have no idea. Of course, however, that model currently doesn't come with the V6 nor the AY6, unless it is in an XRunner.

Summarized: That is what makes me think that Toyota will offer a manual.

Top Bottom