Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problems with Notched Frame??

lttlcheeze

Reaction score
I'm still looking for an X, and quite a few I have seen have been lowered. I don't think I really want a lowered truck, but I know it can always be converted back to stock (or at least not quite as low). My concern is the notched frames. I know the DJM kit has a bolt on brace to strengthen the frame. But i still don't like the idea of a cut frame.

Has anyone ever had problems with the frame after doing a kit with a notch?

What are some of the legal issues? (i've heard ins. companies would consider that frame damage and possibly total the truck)

blastap

Reaction score
i have been notched for 5 years or so, No issues yet

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still looking for an X, and quite a few I have seen have been lowered. I don't think I really want a lowered truck, but I know it can always be converted back to stock (or at least not quite as low). My concern is the notched frames. I know the DJM kit has a bolt on brace to strengthen the frame. But i still don't like the idea of a cut frame.

Has anyone ever had problems with the frame after doing a kit with a notch?

What are some of the legal issues? (i've heard ins. companies would consider that frame damage and possibly total the truck)

I would check with your insurance company. They're all different, but if it worries you, buy a truck that's not DJM.

lttlcheeze

Reaction score
I'm really just checkin to see if my worries have any solid ground.

What other kits require notching? Are any of them not as good as others, as in the frame strength?

It looks like the 2" SS kit sold by XII doesn't have notching plates, but I assume that is cuttin it close to bottoming out without adding their Low-Profile Bump Stops. Are there others?

STONER-X

Reaction score
with out low pro bump stops you have about 1/2 inch between the stop and axle.....

AmyGuyClayton

Reaction score
I'm really just checkin to see if my worries have any solid ground.

What other kits require notching? Are any of them not as good as others, as in the frame strength?

It looks like the 2" SS kit sold by XII doesn't have notching plates, but I assume that is cuttin it close to bottoming out without adding their Low-Profile Bump Stops. Are there others?

Yes with our Street Drop Kit (Coils and Blocks) , you will need to make sure to install the low-profile bump stops. Our drop kits come with the bump stops. If the roads in your area are not that bad you should not have a problem with bottoming out much. Adding a set of QA1 adjustable shocks with this kit will help out a lot. The QA1's will give you the option of 18 different setting for adjustments. Our X has the drop coils, bump stops, composites leafs and QA1s and we have no problem with bottoming out, even when we haul items in the bed of truck we have no problem.

TOYTACO

Reaction score
I have had mine notched since brand new in 08 and never had a problem even with using the truck for towing etc... They wouldn't sell the notch for our trucks or all the other trucks out there if they weren't legit! I have never heard of an insurance company giving people any problems. The notch makes the frame just as strong if not stronger by reinforcing it.

FJLED

Reaction score
Seeing the offroad world notches, cuts, and modifies frames like its their job as long as its a proper kit, design, and welding the frame should be fine (owning an FJC I'm not familiar with any of the kits above or what all it entails on xrunners). Just tossing out my 2 cents

TOYTACO

Reaction score
There are many companies out there that have notches in their kits, after a certain drop on any truck you will need to notch for clearance... They are all as good as the other because a company isn't going to sell a product that isn't going to be as good or better than it was stock.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
There are two main kits available for our trucks, 12 perforance(formally sittinsic) and djm. IMO 12 performance is the practiacal drop for daily driving since it will still clear an average speedbump and DOES NOT require a notch.

DJM on the other hand looks damn sexy but is a lower drop and requires the notch

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Just buy my truck (which isn't lowered at all) and slap that 12 performance street drop on it.

Red_Hott

Reaction score
i guess i will be the first to admit any problems with a notched fame.....but clearly it was from laziness and a lack of caring.....i purchased my truck from another member on here and the truck is djm'ed 3/4..... everything was done properly but the people who did the drop got lazy and did not drill out all of the holes the notch has to secure it in place.....which is clearly designed for saftey reasons and strength issues....on one side there were only two bolts installed and only 3 on the other side.....with the rest of these holes not being drilled nor the bolt being installed for that matter it caused the frame to become a weak point where the notch was installed....with that being said over time it caused the frame to crack on the back side of the notch which made it seem as my axle had shifted forward....after investigating as to why it looked like my axle was shifted forward the problem with the cracked frame was found.....to fix this we removed the bed got the frame back level and then drilled all the holes and installed all the bolts after that was done we tacked the c-notch to the frame to strengthen it back up and to keep any further problems from occuring.....but had the install been done properly from the beginning i doubt i would have occured any of these problems as the kit is very well designed

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
How much does it cost approximately to have the C notch and DJM kit installed?

Thanks in advanced.

TOYTACO

Reaction score
How much does it cost approximately to have the C notch and DJM kit installed?

Thanks in advanced.

I would say it all depends on who is doing it and the equipment they have... If they have some knowledge of installing a notch it helps plus having a plasma cutter is a huge plus but I would say you are looking at around $500 easy to install the whole kit.

J

JDUB916

I got my DJM installed for $700, but that included taking off my sittin sick performance drop, installing my stock suspension and then modifying it with the DJM. I'm selling a Sittin Sic performance drop for $400, if you're interested

lttlcheeze

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Like I said, I've had no experience with notched frames before. But I feel much more confident getting a dropped truck now (as long as all the bolts are installed). :rolleyez:

Top Bottom