Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Proper Amp Tuning

HiTek21

Reaction score
I need some help on how to properly tune amplifiers... I'm a newbie when it comes to audio, I've read several dozen ways of tuning and it's confusing me. Some people say you need a multi meter, some say do it by ear, some say use an oscilloscope, some say to run loud music, others say to use test tones.

I tried the do it by ear method with a 50hz and 1khz test tone at 0dB reference, as well as running pink noise in place of the 1khz test tone.

I flattened out the EQ, turned off the loudness feature, turned the low pass filter on the headunit. I disconnected the sub amp and started working on the mid/highs for the doors. I turn the gains all the way down and turned the high pass filter on.

I ran the 1khz test tone and upped the volume, the DIYs said I would hear some noticable audio distortion at around 3/4 volume but I never reached that point and I was almost at full volume, so I turned it to 3/4 of full volume then begain upping the gains until I was suppose to hear the noticeable audio distortion. I did hear the audio distortion for my rear speakers and set the gains to just a hair below the distortion but the fronts It went almost full gain and it never changed.

My sub amp I tried the by ear method but the gains were going pretty far up and never really reached that point of distortion so i turned them back down. I will probably try it with the multi meter method and use JL's chart for proper voltage readings. I do have access to an oscilloscope but it's at my office.

Anyone have tips on tuning amps?

Mid/High amp is a Alpine PDX 4.100
Front doors are JL C5-650 evolution (75w rms)
Rear doors are MB Quart PVI-216 (70w rms)

Sub is amp is a JL HD750/1 connected to a JL 10w6v2

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
there is a lot of fancy ways out there to do it.

Ive found the best way is... to listen.

level off your EQ, turn off any audio boosting technology, and turn your radio up to 75% volume.

Slowly raise the gain and listen carefully for any distortion.

When you have found a setting that sounds good on all types of music that you listen to - the amp is set correctly.

You can then go ahead and set your EQ the way you like and listen again.

Just use your ears brother, sometimes it actually helps to stand away from the truck and listen.

alexxwing

Reaction score
if you go to your local sterio shop they should do it for 5 bucks or so most places around here do it for free

Top Bottom