Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PS3 yellow light of death

dailycruzr

Reaction score
just saw this article, looks like the ps3 is suffering similar solder joint problems that 360's have. but not too many yet...

Long-running BBC consumer affairs show Watchdog took Sony to task over the reliability of its Playstation 3 console this week, claiming that more than 150 of its viewers have experienced a "yellow light of death" fault which renders their console inoperable -- and that Sony won't pay to fix the affected machines.
"More than 150 Watchdog viewers have contacted us to say they've experienced [the yellow light of death] and by Sony's own admission, around 12,500 of the 2.5 million PlayStations sold in the UK have shut down in this way since March 2007," the Watchdog blog says. The problem predominately affects launch-model PS3s, which are outside Sony's 12-month warranty period.
ps3sun_300.jpg
Beware the yellow glow

Watchdog attributed the PS3's issues to gas bubbles in its solder joints, an allegation which Sony denies. Watchdog was able to repair 16 broken consoles using a process called "solder reflow," which involves heating the console in a specialized oven to melt and re-set its solder joints. Unfortunately for Watchdog (and the owners of the machines in question), five of the 16 failed again shortly after completing the procedure.
But even before the show aired on Thursday, Sony was running damage control, claiming in a letter that the show's methods were faulty and its conclusions inaccurate.
"I have serious concerns as to the accuracy of these allegations and the likely tone of the Watchdog report," said Sony UK's managing director Ray Maguire. "The information that you have provided suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of the technical issues and a mis-characterisation of SCEUK’s Out of Warranty repairs policy."
As is usually the case with console hardware issues, Sony won't cough up the overall failure rate of the machine, but did say that fewer than one half of one percent of PS3 owners had experienced the "yellow light" failure. We'd be tempted to compare that with a certain other console that's thought to have a failure rate somewhere over 50%, but that would be petty, so we won't.
Have you ever encountered the "yellow light of death"? Let us know your experiences in the comments.

SOURCE: http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/...fers-quot-yellow-light-of-death-quot-/1355611

05Xrunner

Reaction score
I think thats the first time I have ever heard of that since the PS3 came out.

RedXr

Reaction score
This happen to my system. Paid $150 to have sony fix it and the thing runs fine now. Mine worked for over 2 years tho before this happened.

Murderface

Reaction score
Another reason to buy a 360:top: and if the 360 breaks, Microsoft will ship it and fix it for free and all without a receipt:top:

U dont even have to be the original owner:rockon:

If u know someone that has a 360 with the red ring of death, have them give it to u so u can get it fixed for free:top:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Bad solder joints = way too much game play without proper cooling and lack of a life.....:fail: :fail:

HiTek21

Reaction score
My blu ray drive already crapped out once on my PS3 luckily that was covered under warranty but now thats expired so another problem to look forward to

Sony FTL :thumpdown:

Top Bottom