Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pump Running

Reaction score
This is probably going to be a stupid question but I just got my truck and im still figuring out all the mods so bare with me.

I have driven an '06 Acura RSX Type S for the past three years and just got rid of it and got an '06 Xrunner. I love the fact that it has pretty much everything done to it that I would have done, but I hate not knowing exactly what has been done.

The main point here is that I noticed something puzzling tonight. Since I bought it i noticed that when you put the ignition in the accessory position there is a pump of some sort that starts running. It is TRD supercharged and I assumed this was the intercooler pump or something like that.

The wierd thing is i noticed tonight that it randomly runs even when the truck is completely off and the keys are not in the ignition. I was just standing outside by the truck and I heard it kick on for a few minutes and then go back off.

What exactly am I hearing? Is this something normal or does it have something to do with the super, etc? How often does it run and why? If the battery dies will that cause a problem when the pump doesnt have power to run and needs to? Is there anything else I should know about it from a maintenance stand point?

Coupe

Reaction score
It is the intercooler water pump. This is normal. It only runs a few minutes and then shuts off.

Murderface

Reaction score
Pretty funny how this popped up twice in one week but I havent seen anyone bring this up the 3 yrs Ive been on here. But Like Coupe said its normal. The reason it does this is the pump is wired to a fuse that gets power from the ECU from time to time as the ECU does a few power checks on certain components.

Ive been thinking of finding a spot to hard wire it into 12v ign so that its only on with the key on or truck running. I just dont like the fuse link they use with the unit.

rich017

Reaction score
Pretty funny how this popped up twice in one week but I havent seen anyone bring this up the 3 yrs Ive been on here. But Like Coupe said its normal. The reason it does this is the pump is wired to a fuse that gets power from the ECU from time to time as the ECU does a few power checks on certain components.

Ive been thinking of finding a spot to hard wire it into 12v ign so that its only on with the key on or truck running. I just dont like the fuse link they use with the unit.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it if it has the Toyota reflash. The truck does those cycles every so often for a reason. IF the reflash has the new pump included into the reflash program and you move the power, then the truck might throw a code or do something else because it is no longer there

Now if you have an X-1 or something else, then that would be fine.

Dekar12

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't mess with it if it has the Toyota reflash. The truck does those cycles every so often for a reason. IF the reflash has the new pump included into the reflash program and you move the power, then the truck might throw a code or do something else because it is no longer there

That will not matter.

There are no sensors that are wired into the ECU with the TRD S/C, removing the pump from this circuit will not cause anything to happen then the pump not turning on randomly.

As the previous people have stated in this thread and the other one this week, the circuit gets powered on for other reasons. The circuit gets power with or without the TRD S/C installed and the pump can be wired into any other circuit that only gets power when the key is on if you so choose.

LOW AND BLOWN

Reaction score

X2 those add a link type fuse devices will ware the fuse socket in time and cause the fuse to make poor contact, and that certain fuse is not one I would want to stop working since it shuts the truck down if removed:top:

That will not matter.

There are no sensors that are wired into the ECU with the TRD S/C, removing the pump from this circuit will not cause anything to happen then the pump not turning on randomly.

As the previous people have stated in this thread and the other one this week, the circuit gets powered on for other reasons. The circuit gets power with or without the TRD S/C installed and the pump can be wired into any other circuit that only gets power when the key is on if you so choose.
X2 here as well, I am really suprised this was TRD's way of making this connection:stupid: since this fuse is vital.

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score

Well it looks like the jury is out.......u dont know what ur talkin about. Also how would an X-1 over-run anything that has to do with the pump? How could fhe reflash have any control over the pump? Stay in school young one:top:

Top Bottom