Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RedLantern's turbo build....

Redlantern

Reaction score
Looking good man.

Thanks.

Started to tear down the spare block last weekend while I had the smoker on (making prime rib). This will be my first attempt on building a motor so will be asking questions along the way. Will be taking my time with this one. I plan to keep the stock compression and will be doing rods and Pistons. Decided to take this on since I had it sitting and since my truck is boosted, wanted to have a motor on standby in case the one in the truck popped.

Seems like the guy who had it didn't take care of the engine. just by looking there was something funky going on with the driver side. Guessing he didn't change fluids frequently cause there was sludge in the oil pan, heads and valves were dirty. Driver side plugs were all different brands and all had different gaps. Passenger side still had the oems and looked better. Only had time to strip the passenger head. Once I get the other one off ill know what bore I'll need for Pistons.

Driver side

Passenger side

Passenger side head off.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Made quick progress on the tear-down.

Doublld

Reaction score
one tip for you put the coolant tube back before you put both heads on.

Redlantern

Reaction score
one tip for you put the coolant tube back before you put both heads on.

LOL. I'm guessing that happened to you? Learned That one pretty quick. Was trying to take it off with the heads on and found it wouldn't slide out. :/

shane881510

Reaction score
Rebuilding the engine ain't bad. I done mine myself and its been good so far. Cp Pistons and molnar rods. clevrite rod and main bearings. Oem trust washer. gauge or cylinder bore gauge. Torq wrench. And Id go new crank seals. An full gasket set. Ull be ready to put it back together beside getting the crank balanced.

Doublld

Reaction score
LOL. I'm guessing that happened to you? Learned That one pretty quick. Was trying to take it off with the heads on and found it wouldn't slide out. :/

no didn't happen just throwing it out there for ya. also if you need any torque specs. or timing or anything let me know i can send you diagrams

shane881510

Reaction score
Yes sir. Danny will help u with anything he can. He help me time mine when I was rebuilding. Great guy he is.

Redlantern

Reaction score
no didn't happen just throwing it out there for ya. also if you need any torque specs. or timing or anything let me know i can send you diagrams
Ok. I'll text u when the time comes.

Is balancing the crank required? Been reading and been getting different answers. I know torspd didn't do so on his first built block. I asked a mechanic here locally and he said it isn't necessary. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Rebuilding the engine ain't bad. I done mine myself and its been good so far. Cp Pistons and molnar rods. clevrite rod and main bearings. Oem trust washer. gauge or cylinder bore gauge. Torq wrench. And Id go new crank seals. An full gasket set. Ull be ready to put it back together beside getting the crank balanced.

Where'd y get your full gasket set? I think I need a new timing chain kit too. Tensioner on the driver cams are shot.

shane881510

Reaction score
I was told its required. I had mine balanced. And zero problems engine wise. so far with both fingers crossed.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I'll text u when the time comes.

Is balancing the crank required? Been reading and been getting different answers. I know torspd didn't do so on his first built block. I asked a mechanic here locally and he said it isn't necessary. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.

If you want it done right, then yes.

Doublld

Reaction score
Where'd y get your full gasket set? I think I need a new timing chain kit too. Tensioner on the driver cams are shot.

timing chain kit i got online. gasket set i got from toyota minus headgaskets. also get the crank balanced. if your doing new rods and pistons get it all blueprinted and balanced. they will number everything for exact fit and tolerances

Top Bottom