Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Removing the dealer badge

dascheaten

Reaction score
so, there's silver lettering from the dealer on the tailgate of my BSP, and it's driving me nuts. what's the best way/product to get those letters off without damaging the paint?

any and all suggestions would be helpful, here's a photo of offending dealer tag:

http://mikeyb.desinestudio.com/x-photos/rear.jpg

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Peel it off with your fingers or some fishing line. (use a hair dryer to make it a little easier) Use some goo gone or something remove the remaining sticky residue and then follow with a good coat of wax. :top:

dascheaten

Reaction score
Peel it off with your fingers or some fishing line. (use a hair dryer to make it a little easier) Use some goo gone or something remove the remaining sticky residue and then follow with a good coat of wax. :top:

i never thought of fishing line, thanks for the tip!

dmbfan73

Reaction score
i used "gutted" 550 chord. its real fine nylon strands that are inside of parachute line.

LUGNUT

Reaction score
At the dealership i work at, we use the heat gun to heat up the sticker, dont leave it on too long or your bubble the paint.. then either peel it off with your fingers, rubber blade, or what have you, and the glue still on the paint will come right off with adhesive remover!!! :top:

dascheaten

Reaction score
At the dealership i work at, we use the heat gun to heat up the sticker, dont leave it on too long or your bubble the paint.. then either peel it off with your fingers, rubber blade, or what have you, and the glue still on the paint will come right off with adhesive remover!!! :top:

the heat gun kinda gives me the creeps, i'll probably go the fishing line and hair dryer route.

i wish i had though of having them remove the tag when i bought it, but they were giving me such a deal that i just wanted to get out of there before they reconsidered giving me $2,300 for a '93 Celica that had 201,000 miles on it that needed new brakes, muffler, tires, and leaked power steering fluid like it was free.

thanks for all your help guys.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
the heat gun kinda gives me the creeps, i'll probably go the fishing line and hair dryer route.

i wish i had though of having them remove the tag when i bought it, but they were giving me such a deal that i just wanted to get out of there before they reconsidered giving me $2,300 for a '93 Celica that had 201,000 miles on it that needed new brakes, muffler, tires, and leaked power steering fluid like it was free.

thanks for all your help guys.

The heatgun is pretty much an overzealous hair dryer.

If you get a digital one (around 40$) then you can actually increase the heat in steps (based on temperature range). With this type you can work on projects that require less heat then even a hair dryer puts out.

dascheaten

Reaction score
The heatgun is pretty much an overzealous hair dryer.

If you get a digital one (around 40$) then you can actually increase the heat in steps (based on temperature range). With this type you can work on projects that require less heat then even a hair dryer puts out.

nice, i was unaware that there was such a thing. i was thinking of the heat gun that my dad had, it was a 2 speed, on and off. but that sounds like a good investment for the tool box.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Its a great tool, I use it often.

You can pick that variable one up from lowes.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
I have a Makita Heat Gun...:biggrin: Ceramic Coils...no Digital Temp Reading but you can still manually adjust the temperature on the back of the gun in small increments...

I use it to shrink wrap all my audio cables together, debadge the truck...definitely a handy tool to have...

You can get them for cheap from ToolBarn.com...different brands with multiple adapters...most of the time its free shipping

Trick61

Reaction score
lol yeah that is what i always do, tell them to take it off. when i told the dealer that he gave me a real dirty look and ask why would i want that. I told him that he is not paying me to advertise for them!
Dental floss works too, or make them take it off.

shaX 07

Reaction score
I scratched mine off with my fingernails. It took forever and was a PITA but it was worth it because in the past I have used razor blades and found it almost Impossible not to scratch the paint using one. The hair dryer, fish line, dental floss crap wouldn't work on mine.

After you scrape it off, spray on some WD-40 to remove the adhesive and you're good to go.

rios

Reaction score
i just used my fingernails, then took off the remaining residue with goo gone.
took like 5 minutes, very easy

moonrunner

Reaction score
spray goo gone on it first to loosen the glue then peel it off.

nine9six

Reaction score
I took the one off my truck while it was still sitting at the dealership lot. Was my first 'mod' and I didn't even own it yet, haha.

Top Bottom