Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Right rear wheel protrudes outer more than the left rear wheel. Answer to the questio

burnboy

Reaction score
So tonight I shifted my bed over to the right because my right rear wheel sticks out more than the left. My country boy dirt track racer co worker informed me that the rear axle is offset for a reason. The old idea is that the drive line should not be perfectly straight or the universal joint would barely bind and cause a wobble or vibration. The needle bearings need that slight offset to spin freely and not bind. Discuss

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I say he is ****ing with you. And if it were true there are other things, less critical, that you could offset to make the driveline not straight.
The question is did you move the bed and get everything so it looks nice and straight?

burnboy

Reaction score
Nope. Still sticks out

It's better

Last edited:

GR6RR

Reaction score
sometimes when driving behind trucks or ford vans, you can see the truck almost is driving at an angle.

joshxrmora

Reaction score
this is something i just noticed having put 1.5" spacers all around. stickes out just over a half inch more than the driver side. Is this something universal with the X-runner rear ends that most people just dont notice due to the wheels being slightly tucked in the fender wells? Can we get a survey on this or not a big enough deal to most.

X-FREAK

Reaction score
Wow this got dug up from the grave... But anyways my truck sticks out more on the right side too. All trucks do this every old toyota mini truck I have owned has been the same way. On linked spring rear ends such as older corollas and 4runners they make adjustable panhard bars to adjust the axle to center when lowering and lifting. I've never done measurements but I think the axle is very slightly offset for the u joints even though everyone doesn't believe that

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
They could have just offset the position of the pinion and not the complete center line. Most likely production slop. These things aren't built like BMWs you know.

bluedemon

Reaction score
my old chevy colorado was the same way, the axle just doesnt sit in perfect line, just dont look at it, saw one guy actually try and use his blocks to help correct it, but one ended up breaking, he was determined tho

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
this is something i just noticed having put 1.5" spacers all around. stickes out just over a half inch more than the driver side. Is this something universal with the X-runner rear ends that most people just dont notice due to the wheels being slightly tucked in the fender wells? Can we get a survey on this or not a big enough deal to most.

Sometimes it is the bed, sometimes it is the axle. Micpun had his corrected by Toyota.

triumphx

Reaction score
Measure it and slap a spacer on the side thats further in

x-runner kid

Reaction score
It should be as easy as measuring the distance from frame to wheel on each side and then sliding the axle to either side after loosining the Ubolts. Mine sticks out on the right side as well but I did smash the drivers side into a curb after a spin out so that might be the cause lol.

triumphx

Reaction score
^I dont believe you can slide the axle, you have to slide the bed....and then you have to find the happy middle between lining it up the the cab and rear axle.....spacer it and be done

boxerpicker

Reaction score
It should be as easy as measuring the distance from frame to wheel on each side and then sliding the axle to either side after loosining the Ubolts. Mine sticks out on the right side as well but I did smash the drivers side into a curb after a spin out so that might be the cause lol.

this is exactly what im thinking. get all the ubolts loose and pull and make it even then tighten them. probably wont get it 100% perfect but it will make it look better

triumphx

Reaction score
^Read my post above!!!!! I believe the only way to do that is if you were to remove the nipples that aligns the leafs up with the axle which i don't recommend....Slap a spacer on one side to even them out and call it a day

boxerpicker

Reaction score
it can be move around a bit with the nipple that is present. ive done bunch of times in many vehicles with leaf spring. spacers will work too but its better to get axle adjusted proplery first

Top Bottom