Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rusty bed bolts

Reaction score
So the bolts holding my bedliner down are really rusty. I've done some research and I see that Toyota and their infinite wisdom got cheap on us Taco owners after the 06 ish year and stopped using treated bolts and went to a standard steel bolt.

Has anyone had a problem with this and how did you go about fixing it? I was going to mask them off and just simply paint them using a line-x style paint but do you think that'd stick and last over long term abuse? What would be the best method of prepping the bolts if that is the best solution?

TXrunner

Reaction score
My bolts have some corrosion and my truck is an 05. Just scuff em with some scotch-brite, wipe it off with alcohol, mask and spray. Easy.

RRCanuck

Reaction score
The best solution is a bed cover man. I painted mine because of the rust and the paint just chipped off after a couple of months from tossing shit in the back.

ultraxr

Reaction score
mine are rusted out like crazy! And mine is a '09! Another epic fail of Toyota.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Epic fail hahaha. Get a wire brush and clean it off. Give them a shot off rubberized underbody spray.

rich017

Reaction score
My 07 has black ones that look new. Spray paint them bitches.

Also, fyi it's not a bedliner. The whole bed is composite.

Reaction score
Well I'm going to swing by Toyota today or tomorrow and see if they'll replace them for now. If not, then I figure I'll just rhino line or line-x spray them as suggested.

Just wondering if this was a typical problem.

TXrunner

Reaction score
TahoesHateMe said:
$5 says they make fun of you as soon as your out of ear shot.

Agreed. But they might not even wait that long

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
With all the time your wasted even thinking about it you could have cleaned them, sprayed a coating to seal and have been done. Its threads like this that make me scratch my head. Some of you create problems that is not even a problem. I'm still trying to figure out why you won't carry your spare tire to keep it clean. Really? Ever hear of simple green and a hose?

Reaction score
I don't question your motives, concerns, etc. It's replies like that which alienate new enthusiasts from feeling welcome.

I can appreciate your opinion. You've voiced it. Got it.

So from here, I appreciate any constructive comments anyone might have. Thanks.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
My opinions are also from working in the industry for 14 years. I'm not trying to make someone unwelcome. I'm trying to save you the wasted time when Toyota doesn't replace them for surface rust that cleans off.

Top Bottom